Wilson Alexx V vs Rockport Orion

Chpray

Jun 22, 2023
Dont want to derail the thread, but I listen to a VERY (very, very) eclectic range of music—from electronic to Indian classical, metal to soft vocal jazz—and my Martens have never, ever let me down in any way….
The new Martens Mingus series are much more versatile speakers compare to the previous lines. I have heard the Septet and the Orchestra versions at shows. I absolutely love their diamond tweeter with very transparent highs and somehow possesses a kind of subtle sweetness that I really like about. But for the bass department, they are not as authoritative and dynamic as the Wilson and the Rockport, which obviously is one of the attributes that I pay a lot of attention to given my choices of speakers. The Mingus Orchestra is very close but it is way out of my budget.

Reactions: Sampajanna

Chpray

Jun 22, 2023
I am not sure where the OP lives but here is an idea. Fly to Toronto. Go to Audio Excellence and listen to the Wilsons then go to American Sound and listen to the rockports. You can also sample some other great speakers while there. I am sure you could negotiate that they would cover the cost of your trip if you buy a pair.

You also get to explore a great city with fantastic food.
Good idea lol, but eventually I have to go through the local dealer to get the appropriate warranty.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I have heard both the Orion and the XVX (not the AlexxV) in the same room with the same equipment. The Orion in my opinion is the better overall speaker. When Peter set up the XVX they had a demo. Josh a few months later set up the Orions in the same room. As explained in an Audiogon post by an attendee there were maybe 8 men who heard both demos. ALL 8 preferred the Orions. Everyone I’ve talked to at the store (and they sell both) would by Orions over Alexx V. And they verified the Audiogon post about preferring Orion to XVX. So that’s maybe 12/12 people who would buy Orions not just compared to Alexx V but compared to XVX!

very interesting!
Also the Lyra are not definitely better than Orion. I’ve heard both extensively including in Rockports own listening room. The Lyra is quieter and has a springier upper/mid bass. The Orions new drivers including the 13 inch woofer are amazing and couple to the room differently.
very interesting!

Reactions: Pokey77

Chpray

Jun 22, 2023
What is the frequency response of your ears?
When I was still a teenager, I did happen to conduct a frequency response test on my ears at school with a bunch of my classmates. I can hear up to 22kHz at that time, believe it or not. I didn't check it thereafter. Surely, my ears will only deteriorate with time.
Anyways, I get the point from other posters.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
When I was still a teenager, I did happen to conduct a frequency response test on my ears at school with a bunch of my classmates. I can hear up to 22kHz at that time, believe it or not. I didn't check it thereafter. Surely, my ears will only deteriorate with time.
Anyways, I get the point from other posters.

I suggest that you not treat as material to your decision any difference in the high frequency response specification between the Orion and the Alexx V.

I think they both are great loudspeakers! You have a very enviable decision to make.

I would throw another great box loudspeaker into the ring: the Goebel Divin Noblesse.

Reactions: Chpray

Chpray

Jun 22, 2023
I suggest that you not treat as material to your decision any difference in the high frequency response specification between the Orion and the Alexx V.

I think they both are great loudspeakers! You have a very enviable decision to make.

I would throw another great box loudspeaker into the ring: the Goebel Divin Noblesse.
The Goebel Divin Noblesse is way out of my budget though. It's little brother maybe still within range.

Chpray

Jun 22, 2023
Yes, the Kharma Exquisite line. Kharma has a very elegant sound, which is very intriguing in the highs, thanks to the diamond tweeters which I like very much. It is excellent when playing classical, but when playing rock music, it's not exactly the right taste. Another thing is Kharma is quite picky in terms of matching amps as I heard. Mostly goes with Goldmund which I don't have the deep pocket to change all my gears to Goldmund.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The Goebel Divin Noblesse is way out of my budget though. It's little brother maybe still within range.
I apologize for the suggestion, then.

The Goebel Divin Marquis also is great. I have always loved the Lyra, but I have never heard the Orion.

The Goebel Divin Marquis is by far the easiest of the three loudspeakers to drive.

I assume, without knowing, that the sound of the Orion is substantially similar to the sound of the Lyra. I learned that at Munich High-End, that for my ears, Absolare Hybrid amps on Lyra is wonderful, and then an audiophile can be done forever, no fuss/no muss.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Wow. Lyra is definitely at the top of the pinnacle. I hope that I will get there someday.

What are the attributes that make you prefer Rockports over the Wilson Maxx 3 at the time of your decision? I know that both brands are technically very strong.
I'd say the coherency, natural presentation, and just the preciseness of each note in its own place. it just draws me into the music in a way I like...

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
What are the attributes that make you prefer Rockports over the Wilson Maxx 3 at the time of your decision?
Sorry to butt in. Jfrech has much more probative, specific information. Jfrech is more nuanced. I'm simpler.

Maxx 3 continued to have the Focal metal dome tweeter which I found bright and fatiguing AF. There is a very good reason Wilson Audio dropped it and never looked back. (I don't know how Andy Payor does it, but his implementation of the beryllium dome tweeter is the only beryllium dome tweeter that I find to be not only inoffensive but affirmatively wonderful.)

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Sorry to butt in. Jfrech has much more probative, specific information. Jfrech is more nuanced. I'm simpler.

Maxx 3 continued to have the Focal metal dome tweeter which I found bright and fatiguing AF. There is a very good reason Wilson Audio dropped it and never looked back. (I don't know how Andy Payor does it, but his implementation of the beryllium dome tweeter is the only beryllium dome tweeter that I find to be not only inoffensive but affirmatively wonderful.)

Nothing wrong with simpler :) ! I agree on the Rockport beryllium tweeter, I loved it in my Altairs, but in the Lyra he really pushed it's performance significantly...

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
For about the same cost as the Orion one could get a pair of Goebel Marquis and a pair of their subwoofers. That would be pretty awesome.

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
I am using emmlabs as source and DAC, audionet scientist series amps. My room size is around 400 sqft.
Good to see another scientist fan! Assume Stern + Heisenbergs?

Chpray

Jun 22, 2023
I apologize for the suggestion, then.

The Goebel Divin Marquis also is great. I have always loved the Lyra, but I have never heard the Orion.

The Goebel Divin Marquis is by far the easiest of the three loudspeakers to drive.

I assume, without knowing, that the sound of the Orion is substantially similar to the sound of the Lyra. I learned that at Munich High-End, that for my ears, Absolare Hybrid amps on Lyra is wonderful, and then an audiophile can be done forever, no fuss/no muss.
No worries. That's my own problem, lol.

I will check out the Goebel Divin Marquis.

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
Wow that must make me an influencer :cool:

Speakerwise, when I was selecting speakers a few years' back, Wilsons didn't really do it for me. I could hear the hand-off across the drivers, esp to the bass, and found this very distracting. I guess you'd call this a lack of coherence. These were previous gen models I would add, and from what I've read, the current ones are a big step on.
Wilson Benesch are the complete opposite - complete coherence across the frequency range and one of the reasons I fell in love with them. They also have a natural flow to them. Where they lag the Wilsons would be in impact from the bass, but this is restored by adding a pair of Torus subs.
I've only heard Rockport in show conditions, and liked them. That said, a local Rockport dealer who heard my system suggested I wouldn't fall in love with them - think something to do with the speed of my current system would make the Rockport's feel a bit laid-back.
I'm considering upgrading my speakers next year (they are likely now the limiting factor in my system, particularly when it comes to scaling big orchestral pieces), and on the list would be larger Wilson Benesch, Alsyvox, Stenheim, and possibly Gobel and YG. The problem as always is getting home demos.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing