Rockport Orions with a subwoofer?

Cincy2

VIP/Donor
Jun 2, 2016
Tampa, Florida
This was true in my case. When I had my M3's, the room created a huge base suck-out at around 60Hz. Moving things around either screwed up the trebles or made the bass worse. The subs were rolled off at around 75Hz and filled the hole nicely. The improvement was not insignificant.

Eric
BTW, I agree with your estimate of the difficulty integrating bass with the system. My subs (originally Magico's were integrated remotely by the Magico engineers in Israel by playing test tones and monitoring the response via computer.

JiminGa

May 16, 2023
I agree. You really do need to know what you’re doing. Cincy, I’d give Josh, Jon and Andy a call and really pick their brains about the Orions and subwoofers. They have no skin in the game and they definitely want you to be a happy customer.

Cincy2

VIP/Donor
Jun 2, 2016
Tampa, Florida

Cincy2

VIP/Donor
Jun 2, 2016
Tampa, Florida
How do you find the m3 versus the 802?
I've been a rabid audiophile for thirty years. The M3s were the best speaker I have had in my system since I started down the rabbit hole. They need a good source as do any high end speaker but they have you everything you could want in space, articulation, accuracy, speed, coherence, soundstage etc. The 802D4's are a very competent value play but don't measure up to the M3's. Given their price difference, this is to be expected. Someone without a serious addiction to "What's Best" could easily live with them for a lifetime.

Reactions: GSOphile

joey_v

Nov 30, 2015
I've been a rabid audiophile for thirty years. The M3s were the best speaker I have had in my system since I started down the rabbit hole. They need a good source as do any high end speaker but they have you everything you could want in space, articulation, accuracy, speed, coherence, soundstage etc. The 802D4's are a very competent value play but don't measure up to the M3's. Given their price difference, this is to be expected. Someone without a serious addiction to "What's Best" could easily live with them for a lifetime.
Thx man!
I bet you’ll enjoy the Orion even more than the m3

JiminGa

May 16, 2023
Cincy, you will have had 2 of the best speakers out there! You are in a unique position to compare the strengths of these two great efforts. When you’ve had time I’m sure a lot of us would love to hear your thoughts. I k ow there’s a significant price difference but the DNA of each company will come through. Each maker has its camp of enthusiasts. Very few cross over. You are so lucky.

Reactions: R S

Cincy2

VIP/Donor
Jun 2, 2016
Tampa, Florida
Cincy, you will have had 2 of the best speakers out there! You are in a unique position to compare the strengths of these two great efforts. When you’ve had time I’m sure a lot of us would love to hear your thoughts. I k ow there’s a significant price difference but the DNA of each company will come through. Each maker has its camp of enthusiasts. Very few cross over. You are so lucky.
It will be my pleasure to offer you my thoughts on all 3, the Orions, the Magico M3's and the D4's. We are staged and ready for the swap on Tuesday next week. I will spend the weekend listening to the 802D4's so I have them fresh in my mind. I will never forget the Magico M3s. The Orions are in the house.

IMG_2195.jpg

Cincy2

VIP/Donor
Jun 2, 2016
Tampa, Florida
Awesome!
Did you also have 802d2? How is that compared to 802d4?
No. I had two pairs prior years ago, 800's and 801's before the diamond tweeters were introduced. Both were fabulous speakers.

Cincy2

VIP/Donor
Jun 2, 2016
Tampa, Florida
Joey

Yes. I believe the Vicoustic room treatments cleaned up the bass modes eliminating the need for it.

Eric

JiminGa

May 16, 2023
Wise move Cincy. If you haven’t heard Orion it’s hard to describe how good the bass is. Judicious use of room treatments and fanatical attention to set up will get you great results without the downsides of subs unless your room is very problematic or you just love to feel the house shake

Cincy2

VIP/Donor
Jun 2, 2016
Tampa, Florida

I'm done.

Reactions: ationg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing