My humble 2CH room!

My Pro-ject Speed Box SE II arrived yesterday, but I can't connect it as my Nottingham has a 3-way plug. I'm a bit peeved about this as I was assured by a high-end dealer that it would work, and I based my purchase on it. I have no idea how he could have missed somethihng this critical.

I've sent an email to Pro-ject and asked if it would be ok to use a 3-way to 2-way adapter (if I can find one). My guess is NO. Should I avoid this type of "fix"?

I think you should not... Wait for the mfr answer first...

I think you should not... Wait for the mfr answer first...

I agree and even if it's ok to do, I wouldn't feel comfortable doing so. As such, I've decided to list the item for sale locally. I guess it wasn't meant to be.

I agree and even if it's ok to do, I wouldn't feel comfortable doing so. As such, I've decided to list the item for sale locally. I guess it wasn't meant to be.

Aw John, that's lousy news. :-(

When you say two and three pin, are you talking about the mains cable and earth?

If so, you *should* be OK to go, but I'm wary of using anything without an earth...

Aw John, that's lousy news. :-(

When you say two and three pin, are you talking about the mains cable and earth?

If so, you *should* be OK to go, but I'm wary of using anything without an earth...

Pro-ject came back to me, but only to say they've forwarded my email to a local dealer. And yes, the NA's ground is in the mains cable (hence the 3-prong) and that's where my worry comes in. I don't know if using a female 3-prong to male 2prong adapter would eliminate the ground connection. If it doesn't then it should be ok.

Have had one inquiry for the unit, but nothing else so far.

Why can't you return it for a refund?

Why can't you return it for a refund?

I bought it used off a friend.....not his responsibility that I didn't make sure it would be compatible. The Pro-ject distributor in Canada came back and said not to use an adapter. No problem, I'll sell it on CAM.

Ok. I thought you bought it brand new.

I'm a little late to the party but...very nice system, John! I bet it sounds sweet.

I'm a little late to the party but...very nice system, John! I bet it sounds sweet.

Thanks Dave! It truly is a humble one as compared to most others here, but I've done my due diligence. And with a few tweaks here and there & some rudimenatry acoustic foam panels, it does sound surprisingly good.

Wouldn't you be just lifting the motor's ground when using an adapter? Are the Nott motors particularly sensitive?

Wouldn't you be just lifting the motor's ground when using an adapter? Are the Nott motors particularly sensitive?

Hi Jack - What do you mean by that? The NA has no seperate ground wire (built-in to the 3-way power cord I suppose) and the motor is always on. I start the platter rotation by using my thumb to give it a spin...

You mean the motor power cord right John? My good friend is the distributor of Nottingham here and I've played with a few of them. I know they use low torque motors and yup, you gently spin the platter and let mass and inertia take over. It's rather unique I think and that's why I asked if such a motor would be particularly sensitive. Personally I think using an adapter wouldn't be a big deal at all but I don't want you or anybody to take my word for it because I simply don't know if it is or isn't for your particular motor.

I would actually be more interested to know if the motor would do well with an APS that will up the voltage for it to be able to spin at 45 instead of switching pulleys. On the other hand if it cuts power to run 33 1/3 using the 45 pulley, I wouldn't be concerned either.

But heck, what do I know? Sorry man. I should've just shut my trap. I'm not being any help :(

You mean the motor power cord right John? My good friend is the distributor of Nottingham here and I've played with a few of them. I know they use low torque motors and yup, you gently spin the platter and let mass and inertia take over. It's rather unique I think and that's why I asked if such a motor would be particularly sensitive. Personally I think using an adapter wouldn't be a big deal at all but I don't want you or anybody to take my word for it because I simply don't know if it is or isn't for your particular motor.

I would actually be more interested to know if the motor would do well with an APS that will up the voltage for it to be able to spin at 45 instead of switching pulleys. On the other hand if it cuts power to run 33 1/3 using the 45 pulley, I wouldn't be concerned either.

But heck, what do I know? Sorry man. I should've just shut my trap. I'm not being any help :(

Not at all Jack . You know me, I'm a techno-fool/noob/incompetent so any information is valuable. Your input is always appreciated. I have discovered that the NA Wave Mechanic APS is available from England at about half the price we pay here, but still a bit much for me at approx $850 CDN plus shipping and potential duties.

I told you guys a few weeks ago that I secured a Pioneer SX-727 Receiver for free. Well, I picked it up yesterday and also scooped up a pair of StudioLab speakers for a measly $100. They are in really good condition, other than some wear and tear on the boxes themselves, but nothing that a good cleaning and some buffing can't fix. I decided since I now have this to also take out one of my old Revolver Rebel TT's, and make a nice little secondary setup for my L/R. I want to bring in the TT for service as its been idle for a long time. When I get it back, I'll install the Sumiko Pearl cartridge I have on my Nottingham, and look around for what I might like for it.

Pioneer SX-727 Receiver
It appears all the lights are functioning and there isn't one scratch on the faceplate. I will need to clean some fingerprints, but otherwise it's next to mint condition. The wood side/top panels are also in excellent condition for a unit this old. It's obvious it wasn't moved very often.
002..jpg

StudioLab Digital Monitor Series - Model # UNKNOWN
These also are in excellent condition despite their age. I cannot detect any damage to the tweeters, mids and woofers, and they sounded fine during a brief audition. I didn't buy these because I wanted them, they kinda just fell into my lap. At $100 for the pair I wasn't going to complain, and I've been told that this pickup was a steal. I don't know if I beleive that, but ok. The cabinets are bit rough, but nothing excessive or that can't be fixed, or at least made to look a little better.
StudioLab..jpg

Revolver Rebel Turntable
This is one of my two Revolvers and it's been collecting dust for a while. I've been meaning to bring it in for 2 years now, but never got around to it. Now that I have an extra receiver and speakers, it's given me the impetus to finally do so. Shouldn't cost more than a few bucks, so I'm ok with that. It has a Shure M91ED cartridge, but I'll probably install the Sumiko Pearl.
Revolver Rebel..jpg

A question for you TT experts...can you identy what arm is on this TT?

Looks nice, John! What room treatments are you working on? Don't forget some form of diffusion behind your seat to mitigate comb filtering from the near, rear wall.

Oh dear....this post just shows how ignorant and little I know about this hobby. I feel sort of foolish :eek:

Hey John, guess who's here!!!!???? Oh and I see that my old friend Ken (RUR) is over here too!!!! Alright!!!

Hey John, guess who's here!!!!???? Oh and I see that my old friend Ken (RUR) is over here too!!!! Alright!!!

LOL! Hey Rich! Nice to see you here. This is a great place and the membership is very knowledgeable. Really good people too!
Ken doesn't swing by too often, but he's here from time to time.

Just wanted you to know that I finally got some better PC speakers to take advantage of the Asus Xonar Essence STX soundcard I bought and installed. They aren't the KRK Rockit 6's I wanted, but it is what it is. I ended up getting the Behringer Truth B1030A active monitors at 40% off, so I jumped and bit the bullit. So now for less than $500 I have something that actually is pretty decent for a PC setup.

002.JPG

I've made some changes in the last few months, including a wonderful (despite its age) PS Audio 4.6 preamp. It really added a lot to my humble setup. Actually, I should say it took away a lot...especially noise and I couldn't be more pleased about having it. Recently I changed out my cartridge for an Ortofon 2M Black and I will be installing it shortly. I was going to get the Pete Riggle VTAF, but Pete wrote back and said it was awful for my Nottingham Horizon and Rega RB250 combo. He recommended I upgrade to a heavier counterweight and I think that's what I'll do.

For the last 20 years or so I've been a vintage guy, and still love the old stuff, but I got something a little more updated and a little better in general. I was able to pick up a used McIntosh MC122 power amp, so the Pioneer SA-9500II is out of the picture. I was finally able to put my VALAB/King speaker cables into use again, plus the IC's and the PC.

I know, in comparison, it's not a huge thing for most here, but for me it's been a wonderful upgrade and there is more to come. I hope you like it.

IMG_1443.JPGIMG_1444.JPGIMG_1445.JPGIMG_1446.JPG

I'll post more pics once the cartridge is installed and the other upgrade is in the house.

Thanks for looking!:D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing