My humble 2CH room!

Picked up a vintage Pioneer SA-9500II Integrated Amplifier, so I can take the Yamaha AVR out into the LR for HT duties. Will be connecting it within the next day or two, and I'm looking forward to familiarizing myself once again with this fine Japanese-built unit.

001..JPG

John

Decided to add some bamboo plinths and my Hockey Puck/Felt Pad idea to the Totem Sttaf loudspeakers. Amazing result! Completely tamed the bass, but now I just have to find the right cable ends for my VALAB cables to fit the vintage Pioneer. In the meantime I'll be using some Transparent Cable.

005..JPG004..JPG003..JPG002..JPG001..JPG

John

I was getting annoyed at having to go from my 2CH room to my LR every time I wanted to play another LP, but my room is small and a full vinyl display cabinet would never fit. So I went back to my days as a teenager/student and re-incorporated that most famous of all LP storage units....the humble Milk Crate.

I bought 6 of them and use 2 as false bottoms to elevate the crates in the back row. I was able to get about 120 pieces of my most played vinyl into to them, and I'm also happy with the way it looks. Now all that remains is figuring out where to put the Beer Fridge. LOL!

001..JPG

Very cool series of very sensible tweaks there if I may say so John. I see "Living in the Material World" right up front in the upper row on the left - I was listening to it myself just yesterday, but on a CD reissue from several years ago. Is it freshly available on vinyl like "All Things Must Pass"? What an awesome album it is (both of them actually).

Thanks much MiTT for your appreciation of my simple tweaking methods. The "Living In The Material World" LP is indeed available as a newly remastered piece. I bought my copy locally and its an imported release from EMI and pressed in Holland. It includes 2 bonus tracks "Deep Blue" and "Miss O'Dell", and also a 16-page booklet.

John

Hi again Johm - nothing like having software handy! - one question: did you record any sonic differences (particularly in sound stage and/or center image recreation) for good or bad once you placed the LPs side by side to your audio rack?

I have the LP rack at one side of my room, and always liked it that way at the expense of some possible sonic degradation due to early reflections and the like.

Last edited:
I just placed the milk crates there yesterday and while playing an album or two didn't notice anything untoward about the sound. I'm off for the next few days and hope to get more "attentive" listening time in. I'll try to pay particular attention to any possible degradation with some of my more familiar recordings and report back. I'm thinking that because of where they are placed, and that my speakers are considerably more forward, that any changes will be recorded not so much in the imaging and soundstage, but more along the lines of tightening up the lower end frequencies.

John, where did you get the felt pads you are using with the pucks?

John, where did you get the felt pads you are using with the pucks?

At Wal-mart. They were like $3 for a set of 4. There's basically for furniture legs to avoid scuffing your floor. What are you thinking of using them for?

Not sure that I will but I have my Rega P3 sitting on hockey pucks as are my MC501 amp stands...3cm granite slabs sitting on pucks (on carpet over concrete). Not sure that I really need them unless to protect the finish on the shelf my TT sits on. Pretty cool find.

A good friend of mine made this video of my one fave songs when we got together recently for a bit of boys afternoon. A great time was had.

Sounded pretty good on youtube even for an entry-level system. Decent TT, marginal cartridge, and speakers from a manufacturer who's sound I truly do enjoy.

I hope you enjoy the bit I linked you to. Ignore the comments...we were talking about something else.

So here is a quick pic of the Pioneer SG-9800 Graphic Equalizer that I got from Mark. It's connected, but not properly hooked up yet as I need 2 more sets of IC's. Still need to give it a good clean, but I'll do that once it's position/connections are finalized.

001..JPG

I also just made a deal for a Pro-ject Speedbox SE II. The unit is 6 months old and I picked it up for less than half the list price (about $630).

speedboxse..jpg

Very nice John

Are those hockey pucks under your speakers? If so a terrific idea.

Gotta love Stevie Ray Vaughan

They are indeed Steve! I attached some furniture felt pads on both sides to help with absorbtion..it works really well. The bass tightened up considerably. Quicker and cleaner.

The SRV is a first pressing and plays beautifully. I have most of his others' as well.

I have about 25 SRV albums, including a whole bunch of live bootlegs, my favorite of which is Jammin' With The Boys, Live At Albert Hall, Toronto, July 27, 1985, which includes a 54 minute jam session with SRV, Albert Collins and Jeff Healey.

I have about 25 SRV albums, including a whole bunch of live bootlegs, my favorite of which is Jammin' With The Boys, Live At Albert Hall, Toronto, July 27, 1985, which includes a 54 minute jam session with SRV, Albert Collins and Jeff Healey.

Are those bootlegs digital?;) There is a live SRV/AC concert from Toronto on youtube, but it's a studio session.

My Pro-ject Speed Box SE II arrived yesterday, but I can't connect it as my Nottingham has a 3-way plug. I'm a bit peeved about this as I was assured by a high-end dealer that it would work, and I based my purchase on it. I have no idea how he could have missed somethihng this critical.

I've sent an email to Pro-ject and asked if it would be ok to use a 3-way to 2-way adapter (if I can find one). My guess is NO. Should I avoid this type of "fix"?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing