My experience with Lampizator

Status
Not open for further replies.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
How do you find both DACs compared to Lampizator?

For me Lampi DSD has no equal in Digital at the moment. For PCM, it's a matter of taste between the 3...close enough that price may be the major difference. I cant say more that that, as the CH extensive demo (3 hours alone with 2 speakers and 2 amps used) was at their HQ and the Trinity was at a pal's place with Trinity Transport, etc and fully set up to perfection.

All these Dacs have that elusive but unmistakable "high end" sound. Value for money is clearly with Lampi though...but with less bling than CH.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

I have heard them both, both are good, preferred the Lampi for my classical music

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland

I have both the Trinity and the Big 7. At the moment, after the latest changes to my system, I prefer the Trinity on PCM over the Lampi. The second person I know that has both DACs (Audiocrack) has posted similar impressions.

On DSD it is no contest - Lampi is the best I've heard.

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
Have any of you tried to convert PCM to DSD (using JRiver or other) and compare the result listening to the Big7? It would be interesting, I know that no new information is generated, but the DSD on Lampi is so good that maybe it will be a nice surprise. I will try it.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I have both the Trinity and the Big 7. At the moment, after the latest changes to my system, I prefer the Trinity on PCM over the Lampi. The second person I know that has both DACs (Audiocrack) has posted similar impressions.

On DSD it is no contest - Lampi is the best I've heard.

Hi Adam,

What about upsampled pcm to dsd - where does that fit into the picture?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
That's what Elberoth does, he has a dsd dac where her upsamples

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Have any of you tried to convert PCM to DSD (using JRiver or other) and compare the result listening to the Big7? It would be interesting, I know that no new information is generated, but the DSD on Lampi is so good that maybe it will be a nice surprise. I will try it.

lol. We were thinking the same question at the same time although mine appeared 1 minute later.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
That's what Elberoth does, he has a dsd dac where her upsamples

So upsampled pcm to dsd on Lampi is still not as good as straight pcm on Trinity?

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
lol. We were thinking the same question at the same time although mine appeared 1 minute later.

Converting while playing is a natural thing and the results are great, as we could read about Audiopax, Lampi and Avantgard room in Munich. They used HQPlayer.

I forgot to make clear I am talking about converting the file itself, saving it in the Library to future use. That's for people like me that uses a streamer (Aurender in my case) and not a computer as a music server.

For trying this I will have to buy JRiver.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Converting while playing is a natural thing and the results are great, as we could read about Audiopax, Lampi and Avantgard room in Munich. They used HQPlayer.

I forgot to make clear I am talking about converting the file itself, saving it in the Library to future use. That's for people like me that uses a streamer (Aurender in my case) and not a computer as a music server.

For trying this I will have to buy JRiver.

Ah sure. I saw that feature in Jriver the other day. Can you specify what type of dsd file you create? I.e. Could you make a quad dsd file?

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
I made one conversion and created DSD128. I think that is the limit JRiver goes.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
My lampi is DSD only. From all the reports that I've read, people seem to prefer PCM upsampled to DSD vs native PCM on the Lampi.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
So upsampled pcm to dsd on Lampi is still not as good as straight pcm on Trinity?

He can confirm, but I think when he says DSD he means both native and upsampled

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
He can confirm, but I think when he says DSD he means both native and upsampled

So where does Trinity fit in then? Surely you would upsample all your Pcm to dsd and play native dsd on Lampi and be done with it?

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Trinity offers best PCM playback.

Lampi offers best DSD playback.

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
Trinity offers best PCM playback.

Lampi offers best DSD playback.

What I think A.Bill wants to know (so do I) is when you upsample PCM to DSD and play it on Lampi, how does it compare with The same PCM song on Trinity?

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
What I think A.Bill wants to know (so do I) is when you upsample PCM to DSD and play it on Lampi, how does it compare with The same PCM song on Trinity?

Thanks Joao - that is indeed my question.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
You are kidding, right?

The Lampi probably has the MOST overspecified Power Supply out there in Dac-Land. This is Luaksz's forte as his background is high voltage physics and tube gear depends on well elaborated power supply.

Excerpts from his interview:

[...]

O.k., thanks for that info. Very interesting.

minimus

Dec 4, 2012
I found this thread to be informative. My takeaway is that the U.S. distributor acted in bad faith: he told a prospective buyer ex post that a non-working trial unit could not be returned because the time the unit was not working counted toward the trial period. He did not communicate this to the buyer until the trial period had already lapsed. He only resolved the problem when the buyer went "public" on this forum. Buyer was roundly criticized for doing this, but didn't have any other recourse short of begging or hiring a lawyer. Lampizator may be run by a great guy, and his DACs may be the best money can buy, but he is not being well-served by the U.S. distributor's approach to sales and customer service, at least in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing