MSB Diamond DAC, UMT Plus, Diamond Power Supply has arrived !!

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
Always recommended to find out for yourself. I am not expecting night and day difference so when it was reported there was none, I lost interest and feel no need to try it myself. If your experience suggests otherwise this may rekindle my interest. I am also interested in running Dirac on my server, which would rule out the UMT plus streaming approach.

Note that Vince @ MSB sais you need a dedicated PB for the audio section to get the best results. This makes sense, so you could get the $600 standard brick to power your video section, and use the diamond PB for your UMT plus audio section. Better still would be getting dedicated PB for UMT plus audio section, but expensive proposition.
I can comment on using a second supply on the UMT Plus transport. Vince Galbo at MSB is correct. Performance improves slightly with the second supply in my listening. I'm using the desktop supply as the second supply for the transport and things got a bit more relaxed overall, more transparent in the treble, slightly lower noise floor - blacker background with the second supply. I notice member johnthomas is using the Signature supply as the second supply for the UMT Plus as is my good friend member ArnieS. I also encourage those of you with a UMT Plus to try "pure audio" mode when listening. The "P" on the remote stands for "Pure Audio" mode and shuts off the video circuits in this mode. Try it.

johnthomas

Jan 3, 2013
I have a couple of questions for you UMT plus owners and you're operating experience. What type of basic cat 6 cable are you using (shielded or unshielded). I was using a shielded cat 6 on my dac to CD IV transport with no problems. When I initially put in the UMT with the same shielded cable and played a cd I got a screeching noise out of my speakers. I powered down the unit pull the cable out of the cat socket and pushed it back in then music came out ok. Vince says the UMT needs an unshielded cat 6 cable. Question when you power on your dac and UMT does the green light on your UMT light up automatically or do you have to put in a cd to get it to light up and lock on to the dac clock. For me I have to put in a cd first in to get the green light. Second when I power on the dac and UMT and the green light isn't on if I first put in a DVD-Audio, DVD-Video or Blue Ray disc the green light never comes on but if I put in a cd first and the green light comes on and then I play a DVD-Audio, DVD-Video or Blue Ray disc the light stays on. I've noticed today that when I have a cd playing and switch the input on the TV from the UMT to regular TV everything is fine but when I switch back to the UMT input the cd either stops playing momentarily or skips for a second or two
( seems like the HDMI hand shake switching is causing the problem). The same thing happens if I turn the TV completely off or on while a CD is playing. What's your experience?

P.S. MSB is working on my situation and their customer service has been A1.

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
I have a couple of questions for you UMT plus owners and you're operating experience. What type of basic cat 6 cable are you using (shielded or unshielded). I was using a shielded cat 6 on my dac to CD IV transport with no problems. When I initially put in the UMT with the same shielded cable and played a cd I got a screeching noise out of my speakers. I powered down the unit pull the cable out of the cat socket and pushed it back in then music came out ok. Vince says the UMT needs an unshielded cat 6 cable. Question when you power on your dac and UMT does the green light on your UMT light up automatically or do you have to put in a cd to get it to light up and lock on to the dac clock. For me I have to put in a cd first in to get the green light. Second when I power on the dac and UMT and the green light isn't on if I first put in a DVD-Audio, DVD-Video or Blue Ray disc the green light never comes on but if I put in a cd first and the green light comes on and then I play a DVD-Audio, DVD-Video or Blue Ray disc the light stays on. I've noticed today that when I have a cd playing and switch the input on the TV from the UMT to regular TV everything is fine but when I switch back to the UMT input the cd either stops playing momentarily or skips for a second or two
( seems like the HDMI hand shake switching is causing the problem). The same thing happens if I turn the TV completely off or on while a CD is playing. What's your experience?

P.S. MSB is working on my situation and their customer service has been A1.

johnthomas, no video here so I can't help you with those questions. I first used the ethernet cable supplied with the unit. I too had a few instances of a screeching/static noise out of the speakers when I opened the drawer on the UMT Plus. I also reported that the transport would freeze and require power off to reset. I also noticed that if you played a redbook CD(s) then inserted a hybrid SACD, the transport would not read the SACD layer until a power off reset. I reported all of this and MSB had me ship the UMT Plus back to them where they reported adding some grounding to the unit that was not applied to mine when built and refreshed the microcode. No problems since I got the unit back two months ago. I now use the 0.75M Audioquest Diamond ethernet to connect transport and DAC and have had no problems at all of any kind. And yes, the AQ Diamond ethernet made a positive improvement in smoothness of highs and noise floor when compared to stock. Not a huge difference but you can hear it. The clock synch green light comes on when the UMT Plus comes on without any disc inserted. It stays on continuously. MSB customer service was excellent. They paid for shipping, kept me updated on what was happening, informed my dealer, expedited the repair.

johnthomas

Jan 3, 2013
johnthomas,

I have the same stack that you do. You should try splitting the DAC/transport from the two power bases. Put them next to each other, in stacks of 2 units each. If your cables go that far, put them each stack on either side of your amps. Big improvement there.

alexandre

Unfortunately the cables going from my dac/transport to the power supply are not long enough to experiment. I've never seen any MSB pictures from audio shows splitting them up.

johnthomas

Jan 3, 2013
johnthomas,

I have the same stack that you do. You should try splitting the DAC/transport from the two power bases. Put them next to each other, in stacks of 2 units each. If your cables go that far, put them each stack on either side of your amps. Big improvement there.

Elberoth,

The DAC IV gets hot, really hot. Mine is the non-plus, so I've got the perforated cover. I agree with you, MSB products look tacky, and don't inspire much confidence, and that's a shame, because they perform wonderfully and flawlessly. Put them next to a Vivaldi DAC, and I know which one most people will pick first... Anyway, check your DAC, as mine gets really hot, and since you closed all ventilation in yours, it might get too hot.

alexandre

My Diamond dac also isn't the Plus, It's not hot at all more like luke warm. As far as looks go,no bling factor like DCS, but beauty is in eyes of the beholder. But I sure love MSB compactness(small foot print) as well as their isolation system over DCS.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
The cable that came with UMT plus is cat 6 non shielded. It does not have the metal strips on the sides of the connectors.

But I do have cat6a and cat6 shielded for other transports.

Al D

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Can someone help me understand something regarding the power bases. I have the diamond platinum power base . It does both the UMT and the platinum 4 plus. If I were to add a second power base what would my options be and what result? I do not use the UMT for video just two channel viewing .

Al. D

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
According to MSB, separating PSUs feeding digital audio and video parts of the transport yelds further SQ imrovement.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Thanks for the video. But although he does talk about PSU , s he does not talk about different sanarios . For me I do not use the UMT for video other than to see options on my monitor. As such I was recommend to use the diamond PSU for both. I have read there are people using the desk top PSU for the video. As when I auditioned the setup, I was in such a state in just being amazed of the clarity I did not notice changes in adding the second PSU. Now it being used and now I am thinking if I should of purchased it in the first place. I need some advice in this please. I am not a fan of the desktop modulal but if using the UMT it will make an improvement beyond what I hear now, I would like it. Any thoughts on this please.

Thanks

Al. D

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I spoke with Vince today , really nice guy and loaded with intelligent info. The UMT plus needs it's own PB no matter what,.
Even if it is two desktop PSU,s . I own the diamond dual PB And it's sounds great but there is room for improvement . And for the best sound you need a transport PB . So after discussion with him I am buying the Dual Signature Transport Power Base
. Hope this helps others.

Al. D

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Just saw this on the MSB site, excellent news for me :D

If you have a MSB DAC IV Power Base it is recommended to use it for the video half of the UMT. Then select a second Power Base for the analog part from the Second Supply Section below, with the Signature Transport Power Base being the recommended choice.

Since I have the Diamond Power Base *AND* Diamond Transport Power Base (both top of the line models), I can use the Transport Power Base for the audio part, and the 2nd output on the DAC Power Base for the video section.

alexandre

johnthomas

Jan 3, 2013
Just saw this on the MSB site, excellent news for me :D

If you have a MSB DAC IV Power Base it is recommended to use it for the video half of the UMT. Then select a second Power Base for the analog part from the Second Supply Section below, with the Signature Transport Power Base being the recommended choice.

Since I have the Diamond Power Base *AND* Diamond Transport Power Base (both top of the line models), I can use the Transport Power Base for the audio part, and the 2nd output on the DAC Power Base for the video section.

alexandre

That's the way I run my MSB stack. Merry Christmas.

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
Hi everyone. I just responded to the power supply questions related to the UMT Plus on another thread here where the questions were raised. You can see my comments there however, johnthomas has the optimal solution and Alrainbow is headed in the correct direction. When I use two supplies for the UMT Plus and isolate the audio and video circuits, the resulting sound improves slightly with a reduction in overall noise floor and smoother treble response. Happy holidays.

Ron Lapporte

Industry Expert
Jun 26, 2011
Deerfield, Illinois
Hello MSB enthusiasts. I'm taking the opportunity to jump in on this thread as a MSB dealer and the manufacturer of Blue Smoke Entertainment Systems Black Box music servers. I'm hoping that my announcement will be of particular interest to some of you.

Brief history: We were a retailer for MSB prior to beginning the development of our first music server in 2007. We then approached MSB to assist in the development of the proprietary sound card that we created for use in our original Black Box. This product debuted at CES 2009 and supported the MSB I2S network, as well as S/PDIF, AES/EBU and Toslink. Many of our customers were, or became, MSB DAC owners and enjoyed the sonic superiority of the I2S network.

At RMAF 2013, we introduced our next generation server as a two chassis design. This design shift resulted in the creation of the Black Box II on the PC side, and a stand-alone USB to 384/32 Digital Output unit (384/32 Digital Output). This is a USB to S/PDIF, AES/EBU AND MSB Pro I2S converter. It buffers and re-clocks the data, providing support for up to 384 kHz with 32-bit accuracy (driver, OS and software dependent) and DSD (128x). This unit is compatible with any Windows, Mac or Linux system via its asynchronous USB Audio input connection. Additional features include an external clock port for syncing to a master clock, complete ground isolation from the server, and an external power supply. Both the clock and power supply are upgradable.

For MSB DAC-IV and Analog DAC users - Via the Pro I2S connection, the 384/32 Digital Output is slaved to the clock in the DAC. While owners of non-MSB DACs should benefit from upgrading the clock in the 348/32 Digital Output, MSB DAC owners have no such need. Twelve-volt power can be sourced from the DAC, an external medical-grade supply, or from a MSB Signature or Diamond Transport Power Base.

If anyone plans to attend CES next month, please send me a PM and stop by room 34-208, where Blue Smoke will be providing the digital front-end for the TAD Reference system. Our current plan is to include upgrades to the clock (Femto 140) and PS (Signature Transport Power Base) for CES. We will be driving the DAC in the TAD D600 SACD Player via a Transparent AES/EBU cable.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Hello , can you email me literature on the music server. BALDINO472003@msn.com

I have the platinum 4 plus and UMT plus . I am presently using a nas as the server. Please send me info .

Thanks

Al. D

Ron Lapporte

Industry Expert
Jun 26, 2011
Deerfield, Illinois
Hello , can you email me literature on the music server. BALDINO472003@msn.com

I have the platinum 4 plus and UMT plus . I am presently using a nas as the server. Please send me info .

Thanks

Al. D

Hi Al,

I'll be glad to send you some information from our press release and answer any questions. We are still in the process of creating literature, and will be glad to provide that once it's available. As I am writing you, we are in the process of updating our website and hope to have that in good order shortly.

Thanks for your interest,

Ron

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
Hello MSB enthusiasts. I'm taking the opportunity to jump in on this thread as a MSB dealer and the manufacturer of Blue Smoke Entertainment Systems Black Box music servers. I'm hoping that my announcement will be of particular interest to some of you.

Brief history: We were a retailer for MSB prior to beginning the development of our first music server in 2007. We then approached MSB to assist in the development of the proprietary sound card that we created for use in our original Black Box. This product debuted at CES 2009 and supported the MSB I2S network, as well as S/PDIF, AES/EBU and Toslink. Many of our customers were, or became, MSB DAC owners and enjoyed the sonic superiority of the I2S network.

At RMAF 2013, we introduced our next generation server as a two chassis design. This design shift resulted in the creation of the Black Box II on the PC side, and a stand-alone USB to 384/32 Digital Output unit (384/32 Digital Output). This is a USB to S/PDIF, AES/EBU AND MSB Pro I2S converter. It buffers and re-clocks the data, providing support for up to 384 kHz with 32-bit accuracy (driver, OS and software dependent) and DSD (128x). This unit is compatible with any Windows, Mac or Linux system via its asynchronous USB Audio input connection. Additional features include an external clock port for syncing to a master clock, complete ground isolation from the server, and an external power supply. Both the clock and power supply are upgradable.

For MSB DAC-IV and Analog DAC users - Via the Pro I2S connection, the 384/32 Digital Output is slaved to the clock in the DAC. While owners of non-MSB DACs should benefit from upgrading the clock in the 348/32 Digital Output, MSB DAC owners have no such need. Twelve-volt power can be sourced from the DAC, an external medical-grade supply, or from a MSB Signature or Diamond Transport Power Base.

If anyone plans to attend CES next month, please send me a PM and stop by room 34-208, where Blue Smoke will be providing the digital front-end for the TAD Reference system. Our current plan is to include upgrades to the clock (Femto 140) and PS (Signature Transport Power Base) for CES. We will be driving the DAC in the TAD D600 SACD Player via a Transparent AES/EBU cable.

Ron, thanks for jumping in on this thread. One fact that has become clear to me as a Diamond DAC, UMT Plus owner: music played from the transport sounds better than USB input to the Diamond or streaming to the UMT Plus especially if the disc is SACD. USB and streaming are close to each other but the transport sounds better in my system so the goal for your music server will have to be to beat the musicality of the transport. High bar to "jump over". Good luck with it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing