MSB Diamond DAC, UMT Plus, Diamond Power Supply has arrived !!

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
There was a substantial difference between the UMT and Signature Data CDIV. However, the new UMT Plus is equipped with the I2SPro interface - just like the Signature Data CDIV - which sould make them sound very similar.

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
when you are playing redbook CDs, is there any differences between the UMT and Signature Data Sirs?

Sonrock, in my experience, the UMT Plus with a Diamond Power Supply is very close to the Signature Data transport. I did my home audition with a Signature Data and bought the UMT Plus because of my need for SACD and its ability to be used as a streaming device. On rebook CD, the UMT Plus is as good or better in my system.

sonrock

Apr 15, 2013
thank you for your feedback Sir. I dont know how much better the diamond iv plus with galaxy clock than the signature iv plus, but I see the signature combo behaves differently with different recordings, also now its quite too much bass. In classical, especially with violin, its so relaxing and I felt asleep when I was listening to my best violin CD, haha.

Voicing is great too but when it comes down to pop, rock and electronics with absolute punch and tighten the bottom, the signature combo doesnt do it as my expectation. Also I have to conclude the deal with my dealer friend as the money asking is too much for me at the moment.

have any of you Sirs listened to the 4 boxes wadia series 9 and how do they sound? I am being offered quite a good deal and in my budget for them, also I have found a mint dcs scarlatti transport with quite a good offer at the moment. But I am still leaning on the top msb boxes, its much easier for me, but I am not so sure.

johnthomas

Jan 3, 2013
If your experiencing too much bass I can tell you 100% it's not the MSB dac but something else in the chain. The Diamond will give you just more refinement. As far as the UMT Plus or Signature Transport goes if they are close in sound the UMT wins on functionality and price.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I have recently upgraded from the DAC IV Signature Plus to the Diamond Plus, and the difference is very significant. Much more so than one would expect.

Both DACs have an outstanding bass, and I think that the problems you are experiencing have its roots in placing very large speakers is a room that is just too small for them.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I have recently upgraded from the DAC IV Signature Plus to the Diamond Plus, and the difference is very significant. Much more so than one would expect.

Both DACs have an outstanding bass, and I think that the problems you are experiencing have its roots in placing very large speakers is a room that is just too small for them.

So you are still running the Femto 140 clock in the Diamond?

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
So you are still running the Femto 140 clock in the Diamond?

Yes, no Galaxy Femto clock for me :(

At least for the time beeing ;)

sonrock

Apr 15, 2013
actually with my s7i, there was no bass like this in the same recordings, so I dont know anything but just the msb adding bass to the sound. I dont deny that I have a small room for the q5, but in some recordings, I do see the bass is too much with the msb rather than with the s7i.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Maybe the s7i was a bit bass light and didn't reveal the complete bass impact ?

Just a thought since I haven't heard any MSB owner complaining from 'too much bass'. I went from dCS Scarlatti and didn't feel MSB offered anything more in that regard.

sonrock

Apr 15, 2013
I dont know Sir, its a probability. But in some recordings, I see the s7i did a better job than the msb in term of bass, punch and tight. thats my experience with both of them in my system so far, nothing changed, just digital.

MJB

Mar 10, 2013
Ralph,

Thanks for sharing your experience with the MSB stack. Also, great looking system and room!

Mike

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I wanted to post the images of my new MSB Diamond Plus in black. I'm running it via the USB input from my PC server.

ueww.jpg

I was upgrading from the MSB DAC IV Signature (the non Plus version and prior that the dCS Scarlatti) in the regular Silver / Blue color theme. This time I had chosen the Black on Black color option.

The DAC looks great in black, but, and that is a big BUT for me, the huge MSB logo painted across the top cover spoils the effect:

7f3r.jpg

I'm not sure who designed this DAC - and i do not want to insult anyone - but it surely doesn't look good. Have you ever seen any hi-end component with a huge logo painted across the top cover ?

To me it looks like those fake designer clothes with huge D&G, Dior etc logos everywhere.

Thankfully, my MSB distributor was willing to trade the top cover from his Diamond PSU (the PSUs do not have those logos) so I was able to replace it. Now I have two regular top covers in black, which look much nicer. Much more classy.

nr81.jpg

Now I'm a happy camper.

MJB

Mar 10, 2013
Adam,

Thanks for sharing. It does look better with the plain black top. Since MSB components are "quasi custom", can't one of these be ordered with the plain top?

Mike

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Most likely. The plain top must be cheaper to manufacture too, so why not.

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
John, Adam,
thanks for posting your pictures of your MSB equipment. I've got say that I love the MSB Diamond logo on top of the DAC. I'm glad we are all happy! LOL. On a more serious note, I have to ask if anyone has tried the following configuration: Filter=F4, Up-sampler=1, Up-sampling=on. I've been trying this configuration for "redbook" played either from the UMT Plus transport or the USB input. In both cases it seems to add extra depth and space to the recording. I prefer Filter=F1 on SACD and realize that up-sampling is not in the equation for SACD playback. For any hi-res files I playback via transport or USB without up-sampling. What have you been finding?

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
johnthomas,

I have the same stack that you do. You should try splitting the DAC/transport from the two power bases. Put them next to each other, in stacks of 2 units each. If your cables go that far, put them each stack on either side of your amps. Big improvement there.

Elberoth,

The DAC IV gets hot, really hot. Mine is the non-plus, so I've got the perforated cover. I agree with you, MSB products look tacky, and don't inspire much confidence, and that's a shame, because they perform wonderfully and flawlessly. Put them next to a Vivaldi DAC, and I know which one most people will pick first... Anyway, check your DAC, as mine gets really hot, and since you closed all ventilation in yours, it might get too hot.

alexandre

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing