MSB Diamond DAC, UMT Plus, Diamond Power Supply has arrived !!

Thank you for sharing. What kind of equipment do you have? And of course, pics would be much appreciated :)

As promised, some pictures of my room and the new MSB stack in Black and silver.

Attachments

• IMG_0217.jpg
    IMG_0217.jpg
    497.6 KB · Views: 1,077
  • IMG_0223.jpg
    IMG_0223.jpg
    471 KB · Views: 1,550
  • IMG_0224.jpg
    IMG_0224.jpg
    500.9 KB · Views: 818
Awesome room!! Looks amazing !

Great room ! Silver / black combination looks interesting. I have went with all black on my new, Plus DAC now.

I have resized images for you:

rv1j.jpg

0t1w.jpg

fxe7.jpg

Beautiful looking setup. MSB color looks great. I was talking to Vince from MSB the other day and he was explaining to me some of the functions of the UMT plus. I currently have the Diamond dac IV with the galaxy clock,Diamond power base, Data cd IV and the signature transport power base. I too have fair amount of SACD, DVD-video and DVD-audio discs that I haven't played in a long time. So I decided to order a UMT plus today. Now I'll be able slave the galaxy clock to the UMT plus via IS2. Also I'll be able to dual power the UMT which separates the audio and video side of the UMT since I will have an HDMI running from the UMT to my Kuro plasma.

John

Hello again everyone. Here is an update that I promised: I have compared three different methods of playing music through the MSB stack; 1) play the disc in the transport, 2) use the USB2 input option, 3) stream data to the UMT Plus by ethernet connection thereby using the Pro I2S interface between the DAC and transport.

I used two pieces of music for the evaluation. Ella & Louis, "They Can't Take That Away From Me" (SACD and hi-res 24/96 files), Jimmy Smith, The Cat, "Blues in the Night" (hi-res 24/96 files). The "chain" for the USB input was: MacBook Pro->Western Digital 1TB USB external drive(for music files)->Amarra Symphony(using iTunes db)->USB 2.0->MSB Diamond DAC. Note: Re-clocking is ON in the DAC, up-sampling off, filter is F1. For the comparison using Ethernet streaming to the UMT Plus transport, I set up an Airport Extreme in my music room as a simple router. I connected a LaCie 1TB Ethernet D2 drive to the Airport Extreme and copied some files for the test. The "chain" for the Ethernet streaming was LaCie 1TB NAS->Air Port Extreme ethernet->UMT Plus Ethernet->Pro I2S->MSB Diamond DAC; no computer. Clock synch light stayed on while playing via the network. I had to hook up a monitor to the UMT Plus for navigation. I've posted a few more pictures of the test set-up below.

Here's what I heard: 1. SACD played in the transport is still best sounding to me being more natural, open, than the other two. 2. Between the USB2 input and Ethernet streaming playing 24/96 files, it is very close. Both are really excellent. If I had to pick USB2 or ethernet streaming blind, I'm not sure I could; that's how close it is. For me, I prefer to have a small laptop and external USB drive that I can sit on the audio rack when I want the convenience of listening in that mode and control via Remote app on my iPhone. If you have ethernet connections available in the wall in your listening space, a monitor or controlling software on an iPad or iPhone and decide to forgo the USB2 option for streaming, your results will be excellent.

One final chuckle, note in the picture below of the Oppo interface that when a song is playing over the ethernet connection, the background on the display is a tonearm, cartridge, and vinyl LP! Nice!

Attachments

• IMG_0225.jpg
    IMG_0225.jpg
    491.1 KB · Views: 960
  • IMG_0226.jpg
    IMG_0226.jpg
    482.3 KB · Views: 611
  • IMG_0227.jpg
    IMG_0227.jpg
    472.2 KB · Views: 637
Hello again everyone. Here is an update that I promised: I have compared three different methods of playing music through the MSB stack; 1) play the disc in the transport, 2) use the USB2 input option, 3) stream data to the UMT Plus by ethernet connection thereby using the Pro I2S interface between the DAC and transport.

I used two pieces of music for the evaluation. Ella & Louis, "They Can't Take That Away From Me" (SACD and hi-res 24/96 files), Jimmy Smith, The Cat, "Blues in the Night" (hi-res 24/96 files). The "chain" for the USB input was: MacBook Pro->Western Digital 1TB USB external drive(for music files)->Amarra Symphony(using iTunes db)->USB 2.0->MSB Diamond DAC. Note: Re-clocking is ON in the DAC, up-sampling off, filter is F1. For the comparison using Ethernet streaming to the UMT Plus transport, I set up an Airport Extreme in my music room as a simple router. I connected a LaCie 1TB Ethernet D2 drive to the Airport Extreme and copied some files for the test. The "chain" for the Ethernet streaming was LaCie 1TB NAS->Air Port Extreme ethernet->UMT Plus Ethernet->Pro I2S->MSB Diamond DAC; no computer. Clock synch light stayed on while playing via the network. I had to hook up a monitor to the UMT Plus for navigation. I've posted a few more pictures of the test set-up below.

Here's what I heard: 1. SACD played in the transport is still best sounding to me being more natural, open, than the other two. 2. Between the USB2 input and Ethernet streaming playing 24/96 files, it is very close. Both are really excellent. If I had to pick USB2 or ethernet streaming blind, I'm not sure I could; that's how close it is. For me, I prefer to have a small laptop and external USB drive that I can sit on the audio rack when I want the convenience of listening in that mode and control via Remote app on my iPhone. If you have ethernet connections available in the wall in your listening space, a monitor or controlling software on an iPad or iPhone and decide to forgo the USB2 option for streaming, your results will be excellent.

One final chuckle, note in the picture below of the Oppo interface that when a song is playing over the ethernet connection, the background on the display is a tonearm, cartridge, and vinyl LP! Nice!

Thanks! That is extremely helpful. In conclusion, the difference between USB and streaming through Pro I2S is splitting hairs - I more or less expected this, but saves me the trouble of having to figure this out myself. Its conceivable in my setup it is even closer or USB prevails, because I have a $4K server with battery power and SotM USB card instead of standard Mac. I'll have to think about my next move.... The UMT can still be compelling for multi channel (I have a an integrate MCH / 2 channel setup). May be I should wait for the much cheaper Vanity103 digi out board for MCH and stick with USB for 2 channel. tough call.

In your Amarra Symphony preferences panel, try unchecking "Follow Core Audio Settings" (if you haven't already) and listen again. I'd be interested in your findings.

Lee

In your Amarra Symphony preferences panel, try unchecking "Follow Core Audio Settings" (if you haven't already) and listen again. I'd be interested in your findings.

Lee

Lee, thanks for the note. I looked and "Follow Core Audio Settings" is checked in my Amarra Symphony settings so I've been listening that way since upgrading to 2.6. I will run a test tomorrow night with it unchecked and see what happens. Again, thanks for the tip.

Lee

Hi Lee, i ran another test tonight after going through the Amarra Preferences window in V 2.6. I checked "Bypass Gain" and "Bypass EQ". I unchecked "Follow Core Audio Settings". Not any difference to my ears. I believe this is true because I run Amarra with 0 DB gain, EQ off, and define the MSB USB 2.0 as the output device with proper settings in "Audio Midi Set-up". I think this is effectively the same as the settings I've mentioned above. Thanks for the tip though.

Beautiful looking setup. MSB color looks great. I was talking to Vince from MSB the other day and he was explaining to me some of the functions of the UMT plus. I currently have the Diamond dac IV with the galaxy clock,Diamond power base, Data cd IV and the signature transport power base. I too have fair amount of SACD, DVD-video and DVD-audio discs that I haven't played in a long time. So I decided to order a UMT plus today. Now I'll be able slave the galaxy clock to the UMT plus via IS2. Also I'll be able to dual power the UMT which separates the audio and video side of the UMT since I will have an HDMI running from the UMT to my Kuro plasma.

John

John, thanks for the note. Congratulations on ordering the UMT Plus to add to your MSB stack. I spoke to Vince last night and we discussed powering the UMT Plus with two supplies; one for audio and one for video. I will be interested if you hear a difference. One tip that I wanted to pass along: the UMT Plus comes with a feature called "Pure Audio" available on the remote. According to the owner's manual, Pure Audio shuts off all of the video circuits in the UMT Plus. I've tested it and sure enough when you have a display connected to HDMI 1 port and select Pure Audio, the display goes black. This is a nice feature to have when listening to CDs, SACDs, or data disks. Try it. Incidentally, the owner's manual is really well written. Since your display will be connected to the UMT Plus, step through the Settings following the instructions in the owner's manual. You can connect a USB wi-fi dongle that comes with the UMT Plus, configure it for your home network and then the UMT PLus will check for firmware updates via the internet when the wi-fi dongle is connected to the unit. You can remove the USB wi-fi dongle since you only need it to check for firmware updates from Oppo and download them form the internet. Nice feature.

I've received my msb signature iv plus 2 days ago from my dealer friend for home trial, and they did an amazing job the first day, superb dynamic, soundstage is accurate but a little too much bass for me compared to my beloved wadia s7i which has been sold.

I am thinking seriously to order brand new msb diamond dac iv plus with galaxy clock, vol control, etc with the diamond base, but I am wondering for my transport. I dont have many SACD CDs, just few of them, but I have about 30-50 CDs with DSD/DXD type. Not so many if compared to the rest 500 CDs which I have in redbook. So I am thinking between the signature data transport or buying something like dcs scarlatti transport - doesnt have pro i2s connection type - or the UMTto use with my system. But I dont know the different in reading redbook CDs between the signature data and the UMT. Is there any of you Sirs please help to point out the differences?

I think I can keep the current signature iv plus stack until my dealer friend gets my new diamond stack here. Pics taken by my ip4, sorry for the quality :p

IMG_0917.JPG
IMG_0918.JPG

From my experience, the Scarlatti will be definately be the most reliable of the transports you mention, followed by UMT Plus and Signature Data CDIV. You can even clock link it to the DAC using the latest MSB Clock Adapter (which was meant for the Aurender W20, but I belive would work with the Scarlatti transport as well).

Feature wise, going with Scarlatti would mean you would not be able to play SACDs or DVDs with hi-res content (Reference Recordings HRx) - only RedBook CDs.

Sound wise, I'm not sure you will gain anything, as all three transports would benefit from clock linking, and should sound basicly identical.

Personally, I would go with UMT Plus. It will serve double duty as a BluRay player for your plasma screen as well.

I've received my msb signature iv plus 2 days ago from my dealer friend for home trial, and they did an amazing job the first day, superb dynamic, soundstage is accurate but a little too much bass for me compared to my beloved wadia s7i which has been sold.

I am thinking seriously to order brand new msb diamond dac iv plus with galaxy clock, vol control, etc with the diamond base, but I am wondering for my transport. I dont have many SACD CDs, just few of them, but I have about 30-50 CDs with DSD/DXD type. Not so many if compared to the rest 500 CDs which I have in redbook. So I am thinking between the signature data transport or buying something like dcs scarlatti transport - doesnt have pro i2s connection type - or the UMTto use with my system. But I dont know the different in reading redbook CDs between the signature data and the UMT. Is there any of you Sirs please help to point out the differences?

I think I can keep the current signature iv plus stack until my dealer friend gets my new diamond stack here. Pics taken by my ip4, sorry for the quality :p

If you get the UMT plus you can play SACD, but you can also use it as a streamer, which would be a huge benefit in useability.

when you are playing redbook CDs, is there any differences between the UMT and Signature Data Sirs?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing