Mike Lavigne's new speakers

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
HI Mike,
Do you have the new Evolution Speakers on order yet.
I know they will be irresistible for a cutting edge guy like you.
You have the sickness.

Regards Robert
i would say that it's possible i might get a set of those new Evolutions that are in process now. but i can't say they are actually being built for me. i am in touch with Evolution about it.

honestly the whole idea of me selling my speakers is up in the air. at this point less than a 50/50 proposition. more on my end not sure i want to change mostly. not sure the effort and expense is worth the benefit. my speakers still touch my soul every day. and if by chance i do change, not 100% it would be for the Evolutions, although they are most likely.

OTOH i do agree the new Evolutions are really something special. but so are mine. this is something top mind for me right now, but so far that's as far as it's got.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Mike, just pop The Clash/Combat Rock on, and head for the third track.

• Haha
Reactions: XV-1

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike, just pop The Clash/Combat Rock on, and head for the third track.
thank you Marc. :p

i suppose i'm a tease sometimes.

changing large twin tower speakers is not like a cartridge or even a turntable. i've truly gone back and forth. and as time goes by it's easier to just not do anything and see where that goes. there is nothing urgent driving me.

Last edited:

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
thank you Marc. :p

i suppose i'm a tease sometimes.

changing large twin tower speakers is not like a cartridge or even a turntable. i've truly gone back and forth. and as time goes by it's easier to just not do anything and see where that goes. there is nothing urgent driving me.
Mike, regarding a change, what would the new EAs give you "more" of? If it's just a variation on what you already have, then that's a whole lot of heavy lifting, both your back, and cheque book. Is that really justifiable?
Or would they truly give you something "more"? To genuinely reward the outlay.
Critically, wouldn't you want at this point something "different"? As in Alsyvox Rafaello, or AG Trios G3/Spacehorns.

Reactions: FDPDK

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike, regarding a change, what would the new EAs give you "more" of? If it's just a variation on what you already have, then that's a whole lot of heavy lifting, both your back, and cheque book. Is that really justifiable?
fair questions.
Or would they truly give you something "more"? To genuinely reward the outlay.
Critically, wouldn't you want at this point something "different"? As in Alsyvox Rafaello, or AG Trios G3/Spacehorns.
not discussing alternatives. except to say there are some.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Sometimes?
i think in balance i'm decisive and an open book to a fault. this is very major step for me and is a hard one. and being retired and even contemplating down sizing my home situation is a factor. so i'm a bit unstuck on what to do. yet the good news is i'm very happy as i am.

i had not really considered changing speakers, except that my dear friend Jonathan pushed me toward it for 2-3 years, saying he had my speakers sold, and was building a replacement. so i went along, but for many reasons that did not happen, so i was left unconnected and in an open ended situation. did not pursue this position, and not going to make a decision for reasons other than what is best for me. which includes not muddying the water by naming alternatives.

not complaining, no regrets (other than my friend is no longer around). we will see what happens tomorrow when the sun comes up.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Gotta love the juxtaposition of
"downsizing my home" with
"considering 6 no. 7' high speakers" lol

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
i think in balance i'm decisive and an open book to a fault. this is very major step for me and is a hard one. and being retired and even contemplating down sizing my home situation is a factor. so i'm a bit unstuck on what to do. yet the good news is i'm very happy as i am.

i had not really considered changing speakers, except that my dear friend Jonathan pushed me toward it for 2-3 years, saying he had my speakers sold, and was building a replacement. so i went along, but for many reasons that did not happen, so i was left unconnected and in an open ended situation. did not pursue this position, and not going to make a decision for reasons other than what is best for me. which includes not muddying the water by naming alternatives.

not complaining, no regrets (other than my friend is no longer around). we will see what happens tomorrow when the sun comes up.

No, I know. And I was teasing. But for my $0.02, you don't have much left to gain on this front, within with this platform. You can change out the speakers for "different" but not for notably "better". And you can much more easily make a change for the worse. I fear for the latter. And forgetting what I actually heard at the show, I personally can't even rationalize that move in my engineering mind. But it's a good "problem" to have and I'm sure you'll arrive at a well-vetted destination.

Reactions: adyc and Al M.

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018

Mike, audio gear comes and goes, but true friends are hard to come by and forever with us. I am reflecting on this very subject myself right now. You clearly have your feet on the ground in terms of your passion and preferences in audio and life which is great to see. Nothing wrong with being an open book and more importantly being curious and open minded as you are prone to be.

Last edited:

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
No, I know. And I was teasing. But for my $0.02, you don't have much left to gain on this front, within with this platform. You can change out the speakers for "different" but not for notably "better". And you can much more easily make a change for the worse. I fear for the latter. And forgetting what I actually heard at the show, I personally can't even rationalize that move in my engineering mind. But it's a good "problem" to have and I'm sure you'll arrive at a well-vetted destination.

You make good points, and I think aesthetics are an angle of consideration as well. Mike's current speakers look gorgeous, the new EAs...not so sure...

Chop

Aug 9, 2020
England
Modular construction? Remember everything in construction either takes six months or two weeks. ;)

Aint that (more or less) the truth. I was told my relatively simple garage conversion music room would take 4 weeks of two guys full time. Once the builder had started he tells me his biggest property developer customer now needs him as well & he can't afford to turn him down because he gets lots of regular work from him, so he will only be able to work evenings and weekends on mine. Its finished now but after how long?
6 months, almost to the day.

• Wow
Reactions: Bobvin

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
As this is the same brand of our current loudspeakers, would a home audition be possible being conscious that this will require some serious heavy weight lifting?

gpu123

Sep 14, 2017
Mike,
I am a fellow Dartzeel user and wondered if you might have some time to discuss BNC connectors. If you're up for a conversation I'm Geri and my phone number 760-473-0563.
Thank you!

Duke LeJeune

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
i think in balance i'm... an open book to a fault.
I have noticed and admire this about you. You SHARE your journey for the sake of SHARING with kindred souls, knowing all along that a few will choose to react negatively. Fortunately this forum is effectively a safe place.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike,
I am a fellow Dartzeel user and wondered if you might have some time to discuss BNC connectors. If you're up for a conversation I'm Geri and my phone number 760-473-0563.
Thank you!
hi Geri,

I will reach out to you tomorrow. happy to offer my thoughts.

cheers,

Mike

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing