New Evolution Acoustics "SYSTEM" Speakers paired with Dartzeel

Nuprin

Jan 9, 2020
NC
Wow...new Evolution Acoustics Speakers just debuted at T.H.E SHOW. Are these replacing the MM7's or MM3's or is this something in between? They list the pricing structure at the end.

It looks very configurable and you could start with the "CORE" passive midrange/tweeter for $35k to $38 (Not sure if this is each or for a pair) and add up to 8 bass modules per side like they have displayed in the video. Great report from Audiophile Junkie.

Reactions: SCAudiophile

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Interesting. $360K as configured. Then you have roughly $270K in Dartzeel amps. Close to $1 million I guess?

Reactions: Alrainbow

Nuprin

Jan 9, 2020
NC
Interesting. Any idea on price?
As mentioned in the post, pricing is shown near the end of the video.

Last edited:

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
As mentioned in the post, pricing is shown near the end of the video.
Yes, I caught it by pausing the video a few seconds after I typed the reply then did an edit.

The only issue may be resale value here. Evolution is a lesser known brand so resale may be tricky at these price levels. But then that shouldn’t impact one buying it as an end game system.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Yes, I caught it by pausing the video a few seconds after I typed the reply then did an edit.

The only issue may be resale value here. Evolution is a lesser known brand so resale may be tricky at these price levels. But then that shouldn’t impact one buying it as an end game system.
while i agree that any speaker in the $360k range will have resale value issues, Evolution Acoustics has a very strong history overall for resale value since they rarely change their models. unlike brick and mortar brands that frequently cycle new models and versions to support their retail structure.

my MM7's, which were $200k retail 11 years ago (the same lofty range now like $300k-$400k) when i bought them, still have great value likely more than other 11 year old $200k speaker systems. and they still have very relevant performance too.

i predict 10 years from now Evolution Acoustics 'SYSTEM' owners will be happy they bought them, and happy for the value they receive should they decide to sell them.....relative to other choices they could have made in this range.

many of the speakers in this 'ultra' range still need subwoofers for true full frequency coverage. not the Evolution Acoustics 'SYSTEM'.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Most interesting...

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
What do you mean Mike. Your speakers have 8? Powered subwooders.

I.was.looking at those MMMicro for sale. Good price.

Reactions: Nuprin

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Who is running Evolution Acoustics after the unfortunate passing of Jonathan Tinn?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
while i agree that any speaker in the $360k range will have resale value issues, Evolution Acoustics has a very strong history overall for resale value since they rarely change their models. unlike brick and mortar brands that frequently cycle new models and versions to support their retail structure.

my MM7's, which were $200k retail 11 years ago (the same lofty range now like $300k-$400k) when i bought them, still have great value likely more than other 11 year old $200k speaker systems. and they still have very relevant performance too.

i predict 10 years from now Evolution Acoustics 'SYSTEM' owners will be happy they bought them, and happy for the value they receive should they decide to sell them.....relative to other choices they could have made in this range.

many of the speakers in this 'ultra' range still need subwoofers for true full frequency coverage. not the Evolution Acoustics 'SYSTEM'.

IMO all great quality expensive speakers of know brands devaluate similarly - Wilson, Magico, Sonus Faber, Evolution Acoustics, etc.

When we want to sell them finding a buyer wanting to pay a fair price takes time. Sometimes we have great deals on the market because the seller is in an hurry, wanting to sell fast. But these are singularities.

BTW, I do no predict anything in this hobby. Too risky ... :)

analyzer

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2016
Torino - Italy
many of the speakers in this 'ultra' range still need subwoofers for true full frequency coverage. not the Evolution Acoustics 'SYSTEM
This is very surprising!
EA MM's series has a superb extension in first octave;
I was wondering if "system" speaker with its small woofers may suffer less SPL max and more distortion in 20-70 Hz region, neverthless the aluminium Cell woofers are also used by Marten speakers in expensive models with good results, maybe I'm anchored at a vision of too much Classic and old drivers.
Hope that we can see soon some detailed specifications.
How was the listening session in T.H.E. show?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010

MM7 = 4 per side w/2 amps
SYSTEM 7 = 4 per side w/4 amps (4 x sets of -4- 7” subwoofers)
SYSTEM 9 = 6 per side w/6 amps (6 x sets of -4- 7” subwoofers)

So more air moved, tighter cabinet, much more amp headroom.

One can make a case the MM7 sub cabinet is larger. But I don’t know the tech and physics involved to make any sense of pluses and minuses.

Crazy good!!!

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
This is very surprising!
EA MM's series has a superb extension in first octave;
I was wondering if "system" speaker with its small woofers may suffer less SPL max and more distortion in 20-70 Hz region, neverthless the aluminium Cell woofers are also used by Marten speakers in expensive models with good results, maybe I'm anchored at a vision of too much Classic and old drivers.
Hope that we can see soon some detailed specifications.
How was the listening session in T.H.E. show?

Astonishing clarity in the 20hz - 70hz region to my ears from the SYSTEM 7.

-8- passive 7” mid woofers per side (cover 50hz-350hz) in the main towers seemed to me to have tip top clarity and precision. Pushed them hard just now for a 45 minute session. Never broke a sweat.

It’s all a typical EA seamless presentation. No cabinets drivers or electronics. Perceived.

Talking to Kevin Malmgren, the EA designer, the EA SYSTEM can get reproduce frequencies to ‘DC’ depending. Easily into the single digits. I believe it. Passive tower mid to upper 90’s in efficiency.

The show system was handicapped the first day by only having a single 15 amp circuit to use. Mid day Saturday jury rigged 2 other 15 amp circuits and that helped.

Today Sunday the best sound. Prototype speaker, prototype cartridge, strange room at a new show location. Normal stuff.

Last edited:

Nuprin

Jan 9, 2020
NC

I use the Micro Ones in my system if the standmounts are what you’re talking about. If you can get them far from the front walls and a good crossover with subs, they can sound amazingly full range. Better sounding than most systems at multiple times their price.

I‘ll have to reach out to you in the future when I can move my system to a bigger room and redo my panel or dedicate a panel for the system.

Nuprin

Jan 9, 2020
NC
Astonishing clarity in the 20hz - 70hz region to my ears from the SYSTEM 7.

-8- passive 7” mid woofers per side (cover 50hz-350hz) in the main towers seemed to me to have tip top clarity and precision. Pushed them hard just now for a 45 minute session. Never broke a sweat.

It’s all a typical EA seamless presentation. No cabinets drivers or electronics. Perceived.

Talking to Kevin Malmgren, the EA designer, the EA SYSTEM can get reproduce frequencies to ‘DC’ depending. Easily into the single digits. I believe it. Passive tower mid to upper 90’s in efficiency.

The show system was handicapped the first day by only having a single 15 amp circuit to use. Mid day Saturday jury rigged 2 other 15 amp circuits and that helped.

Today Sunday the best sound. Prototype speaker, prototype cartridge, strange room at a new show location. Normal stuff.
Thanks for the update Mike! This certainly gives people like me the possibility of starting with the mid towers and upgrading from there down the road. Is this going to be on the market now or very soon?

Is the crossover improved or different than in the MM3/7?

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I use the Micro Ones in my system if the standmounts are what you’re talking about. If you can get them far from the front walls and a good crossover with subs, they can sound amazingly full range. Better sounding than most systems at multiple times their price.

I‘ll have to reach out to you in the future when I can move my system to a bigger room and redo my panel or dedicate a panel for the system.
I heard the MMMicro.at Joel Durands. They are pretty special speakers. Mikes big system is so well tuned and throw a flawless performance. You can't but believe in EA after hearing them in a well tuned setting. N

Reactions: Pokey77

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

That’s good to hear Mike about the resale value.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I just viewed a video by the Audiphillic. I wonder how many of these are actually purchased by audiophiles.
I suppose if you buy the Wilson WAMM for example rhat qualities you for at least hoary status in the audio club
It's like the guy who has a pool but can't swim

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
MM7 = 4 per side w/2 amps
SYSTEM 7 = 4 per side w/4 amps (4 x sets of -4- 7” subwoofers)
SYSTEM 9 = 6 per side w/6 amps (6 x sets of -4- 7” subwoofers)

So more air moved, tighter cabinet, much more amp headroom.

One can make a case the MM7 sub cabinet is larger. But I don’t know the tech and physics involved to make any sense of pluses and minuses.
Well your MM7 have 4 x 11" cones and 4 x 15" cones...which probably have great air displacement-distortion perhaps because it does not take much movement back and forth to move a meaningful amount of air.

The System 7 is 16 x 7" cones which is only around 10% less cone surface area...but I wonder if the 7" cones have to work harder to create the same of amount of air displacement (ie, moving back and forth which is where distortion presumably starts to set in).

That said, both speakers are moving a LOT of air, and with the new system, the 24 x 7" cones has 60% more surface area than the System 7.

MY QUESTION: CAN YOU STACK THE BASS TOWER SO IT IS 3 OF THE 4X7" CONES ON TOP OF EACH OTHER? I am concerned about having 6 speakers in a room...4 is already quite a lot of room. Fortunately, if you CAN get a super-tall 12-cone tower, then you could easily have a 4-tower which would be quite svelte and have a footprint not much different than many large speakers.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
I heard the MMMicro.at Joel Durands.
To be fair I have heard several iterations of Joel's system. He has a talent! Every time has been exceptional.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing