McIntosh MC501s

Bulldogger

Apr 20, 2010
Clinton,MS
I believe this is one of the most heralded amps the company has produced. No Mcintosh forum is complete with a discussion of these amps. I have owned mine for about 4 years now. Still happy with them. I have not found anything around the price point that is better.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
I believe this is one of the most heralded amps the company has produced. No Mcintosh forum is complete with a discussion of these amps. I have owned mine for about 4 years now. Still happy with them. I have not found anything around the price point that is better.

Amen brother!

Bulldogger

Apr 20, 2010
Clinton,MS
Mine are driving the XR200 Mcintosh speakers. I am waiting for the release of the XCS200 center. I will also use a MC501 to drive it.Yes solid state but very smooth sounding.

Bulldogger

Apr 20, 2010
Clinton,MS
So tell me all about them.

How do they compare to let's say a Krell?

A lot different from a Krell. I believe they are about as close as you can get to a tube sound with solid state. I like Krell, great amps. Mcintosh removes so much of the grain that I usually associate with solid state. I do not believe I could go back to another solid state brand.

Bulldogger

Apr 20, 2010
Clinton,MS
With the rumors of a replacement for the MC501s, I have been trying to decide if I would upgrade. After, a day of listening,that answer is it is very unlikely. The thing that I do not like about Mcintosh amps is that you can not turn off the illumination for the letters that say Mcintosh. With my amps being placed right by the speakers, it is distracting as I do front projection. If I could completely shut off all illumination, that might actually make me upgrade. I know it is a small thing but it annoys me to no end that I can not have a completely dark theater without putting tape over the Mcintosh lettering.

1kw

Aug 27, 2023
LBI, NJ
Love my 501’s , have had them since 2009 and they are my forever amps. So musical, great midrange with low end authority. They sound great with my Stradivari’s

Attachments

• IMG_1631.jpeg
    IMG_1631.jpeg
    1,007.5 KB · Views: 8

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing