Looking For The Perfect Listening Chair

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
Thank you!

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
Well, I went to my local Crate & Barrel and looked at what they call their “Chair and a Half”, as pointed out earlier by @ACHiPo. I sat in it and had that same old feeling for practically every couch or loveseat I’d sat in over the recent years - like falling back into a marshmallow. Didn’t like it one bit. The salesperson then said “here, come try this one”. It was the same model, but built as a sleeper. My wife and I sat in it and immediately said “this feels right”. No sag, no falling into the back of the sofa like getting sucked into a black hole, nice firm straight seating arrangement, but comfortable. It felt like it would keep me from dropping my ear height, while still being very comfortable (for not being an Ekornes ;)). We started looking at fabrics and eventually found the one where we both said “this will look great in the house!”. So I ordered it. Behold, the Axis Twin Ultra Memory Foam Sleeper Sofa -

9B203817-8066-48AA-AD8F-A27443D213C0.jpeg

It’s the perfect size for the room, the pull out sleeper mattress feels great, and my wife and I can listen together, or I can listen on my own without the annoyance of separate seat pillows. I’ll report in 6-7 months :oops::eek: when I get it.

And oh, the light blue color will set off the Volcano Orange color of my Von Schweikerts! :D @Damon Von Schweikert recommended colors in this range to contrast against my speakers. Thanks Damon!

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
there is information on my old system thread but I don’t know where it is. I’ll try to find it and post a picture.

Tony, here are two photos of my new sofa. I don't remember the brand name. The important thing for me was the one piece seat cushion and the overall length of about 71". It's a small room, so this works well.

IMG_0461.jpg

IMG_0462.jpg

Reactions: Lee

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
Thank you, @PeterA Nice looking couch! I sprung for something a little different as you can see above. I hope it gives me many years of listening pleasure. :)

Reactions: PeterA

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
Well, I went to my local Crate & Barrel and looked at what they call their “Chair and a Half”, as pointed out earlier by @ACHiPo. I sat in it and had that same old feeling for practically every couch or loveseat I’d sat in over the recent years - like falling back into a marshmallow. Didn’t like it one bit. The salesperson then said “here, come try this one”. It was the same model, but built as a sleeper. My wife and I sat in it and immediately said “this feels right”. No sag, no falling into the back of the sofa like getting sucked into a black hole, nice firm straight seating arrangement, but comfortable. It felt like it would keep me from dropping my ear height, while still being very comfortable (for not being an Ekornes ;)). We started looking at fabrics and eventually found the one where we both said “this will look great in the house!”. So I ordered it. Behold, the Axis Twin Ultra Memory Foam Sleeper Sofa -

9B203817-8066-48AA-AD8F-A27443D213C0.jpeg

I came upon a small problem. While waiting for the above, I’ve started putting my system together - even if in a preliminary way. So now I’m standing here thinking “how am I supposed to listen to music”. I was going around to furniture store, looking for a bedroom set, when I came upon this Spagnesi chair at an outlet location for one of the places I looked at. I’m not entirely certain, but I think they are/were related to Natuzzi in some way. I sat in this chair

0DA1C0EF-FE3C-426C-A93A-0C7ED4AF0C8C.jpeg

and it felt like I was sitting in butter - in a very good way! :) Italian made, full grain leather, solid wood frame with corner blocking, great support. I knew it would make for a comfortable chair even after the Crate & Barrel arrives, so I made them an offer (it had some very minor scuffs in the back). Got it for about 20% of its claimed normal retail price. Good enough for me!

In my other non audio furniture shopping, I happened upon a store that carries almost the entire Stressless line. Much as I do like sitting in some of them, I really don’t want a listening chair where there is something behind my ears. So Stressless is out for me. I did try their low back models like the Tokyo, but those are nothing like a “real” Stressless like an Admiral. So I have a chair now, and hopefully in time a larger one.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I personally, think that the back of the seat should be nowhere near the listener's ears.

The Ekornes Consul in small offers the lowest seat back height of any of the traditional Stressless reclining chairs.

A0229ED9-F41D-45DE-8E3D-1E61316587F8.jpeg

I think the back of this seat is too close to my ears. I don't want sound reflecting off the leather of the seat and up to my ears.

What do you think?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I personally, think that the back of the seat should be nowhere near the listener's ears.

The Ekornes Consul in small offers the lowest seat back height of any of the traditional Stressless reclining chairs.

View attachment 84773

I think the back of this seat is too close to my ears. I don't want sound reflecting off the leather of the seat and up to my ears.

What do you think?

Ron, that is too high in my opinion. Hard to know about the sonic effect without actually listening to music with this chair versus other options. I prefer the back of the listening seat or sofa to be below the shoulders.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron, that is too high in my opinion. Hard to know about the sonic effect without actually listening to music with this chair versus other options. I prefer the back of the listening seat or sofa to be below the shoulders.

I agree Peter. As much as I try the traditional Ekornes Stressless just does not work for me. I have owned three of these chairs and a Stressless sofa for many years, but it just does not work for me as a listening room chair.

Interestingly, Michael Fremer uses this exact chair, and I think he's a bit shorter than I am.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I agree Peter. As much as I try the traditional Ekornes Stressless just does not work for me. I have owned three of these chairs and a Stressless sofa for many years, but it just does not work for me as a listening room chair.

Interestingly, Michael Fremer uses this exact chair, and I think he's a bit shorter than I am.
Dear Ron,

Your system is going to sound great regardless the back rest reaches the back of your neck or not. There will be occasions when you enjoy your beautiful sound while you naturally relax yourself laying back your head to the back rest. You will get the sound that system so out of the way you don't care how you sit it is not going to ruin the sound.

Reactions: Holli82 and Narayan

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015

View attachment 84773

What do you think?
with your ears pulled that far forward why are you worrying about a high back chair

• Haha
Reactions: christoph and tima

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Dear Ron,

Your system is going to sound great regardless the back rest reaches the back of your neck or not. There will be occasions when you enjoy your beautiful sound while you naturally relax yourself laying back your head to the back rest. You will get the sound that system so out of the way you don't care how you sit it is not going to ruin the sound.

Dear Tang,

Thank you very much for your thoughts!

Kindest regards,

Ron

Reactions: Hi-FiGuy

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
with your ears pulled that far forward why are you worrying about a high back chair

The traditional Ekornes Stressless recliner that I like, which now has a very nice powered leg extension/footrest feature, comes only with a high seat back.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

View attachment 84773

What do you think?

To avoid the reflections add some small pieces of GIK absorbers on the sofa there behind the ears

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I was thinking of that! Or small sections of RPG wood diffusers.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Dear Ron,

What about, if like me, you don't actually have a neck?

• Haha
Reactions: christoph

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Extreme delusional paranoia.

If it sounds better without something highly absorptive behind your head, like literally any chair that is not straight wood, then reflective energy is what you’re appreciating; diffused or not.

That photo looks fine for what you want. The sound won’t be stopped by that and anything reflective at an appreciable level is probably well out human hearing range.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
My newest and probably last (for a while). I love this chair. So comfortable. My Frankenstein chair relegated to the backup position.. IMG_20211119_145841050.jpg

Reactions: Trab and ACHiPo

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX

View attachment 84773

What do you think?
I agree. A low back is what you're looking for as reflections will smear the image and will affect sonic quality.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
I came upon a small problem. While waiting for the above, I’ve started putting my system together - even if in a preliminary way. So now I’m standing here thinking “how am I supposed to listen to music”. I was going around to furniture store, looking for a bedroom set, when I came upon this Spagnesi chair at an outlet location for one of the places I looked at. I’m not entirely certain, but I think they are/were related to Natuzzi in some way. I sat in this chair

View attachment 79492

and it felt like I was sitting in butter - in a very good way! :) Italian made, full grain leather, solid wood frame with corner blocking, great support. I knew it would make for a comfortable chair even after the Crate & Barrel arrives, so I made them an offer (it had some very minor scuffs in the back). Got it for about 20% of its claimed normal retail price. Good enough for me!

In my other non audio furniture shopping, I happened upon a store that carries almost the entire Stressless line. Much as I do like sitting in some of them, I really don’t want a listening chair where there is something behind my ears. So Stressless is out for me. I did try their low back models like the Tokyo, but those are nothing like a “real” Stressless like an Admiral. So I have a chair now, and hopefully in time a larger one.
Beautiful chair, congrats!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing