FINALLY Found A Listening Chair I Want

pjwd

Jun 22, 2015
Brisbane
No, never tested. I am going by theory here.

But, for me, it is one of those things where it seems so intuitively obvious to me that I would not want reflective leather an inch behind my ears, that even if I could not prove the theory with A/B testing I still would be uncomfortable with it and have difficulty relaxing.
Thanks Ron
I think somewhere on this thread I showed a ray trace diagram that indicated very little reflection from a relatively narrow head rest .. your head does quite a bit of masking of the reflective surface and the seat is often rounded as well as soft so most reflections are away from your ear.
I have done tests myself and with pals and we detected no change of sound with height of back.
I could imagine your perception of the reverberent field may change in an exceptionally precise acoustic space but for most of us
The first reflections of walls, ceilings and floors would completly overwhelm these subtle differences.
As most agree acoustic music in a hall is the ultimate reference it is interesting to note that echograms taken in seating locations in halls show a sea of reflections from surronding seats and shiny noggins all around .. so its familiar territory

In any case I vote for comfort :)

Cheers
Phil

Cohnaudio

Dec 24, 2016
I couldn't find a chair I was really happy with, so designed and built this chair. Very comfortable and there shouldn't be any bad reflections. I'm considering putting on a very small headrest, just behind the head

Attachments

• 20230328_152103.jpg
    20230328_152103.jpg
    639.8 KB · Views: 61
  • 20230327_143138.jpg
    20230327_143138.jpg
    667.5 KB · Views: 61
  • 20230327_142844.jpg
    20230327_142844.jpg
    522.8 KB · Views: 62

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
I couldn't find a chair I was really happy with, so designed and built this chair. Very comfortable and there shouldn't be any bad reflections. I'm considering putting on a very small headrest, just behind the head
A most stylish design and beautifully made , vous tire mon chapeau.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Great job! A headrest for this would look perfect. Hard to believe it's been hand-built!

Halydean

Apr 9, 2023
Wow I have chair envy. I need to get rid of the big sofa!

Halydean

Apr 9, 2023
The room sound will change when you get rid of the sofa as well. Mine did dramatically.
I can't wait to get rid of that thing. Occasionally (1% of the time) my wife will sit and listen with me. So I may have to think of a creative solution or settle for a streamline loveseat and just learn to live with chair envy.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing