Jimi Hendrix - People, Hell and Angels

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Jimi Hendrix - People, Hell and Angels.jpg

I am so enjoying this new release, and I'm not a diehard fan. Sure, I have all of his albums, but I don't play them much to be honest as I have to be in the mood. I think People, Hell and Angels could very well change that for me and I'm looking forward to travelling back as I go through his catalogue. It is so wonderfully bluesy and, to me, refreshing. I can't wait to pick it up on vinyl.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Damn people...it's Jimi were talking about here. Not even a passing interest for an album of tunes by perhaps the greatest guitarist of all time. Maybe this will spark your interest:

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I love the fact that Jimi has been dead since 1970 and he still manages to put out a couple of albums a year. Some living bands should take notice.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I love the fact that Jimi has been dead since 1970 and he still manages to put out a couple of albums a year. Some living bands should take notice.

I'm thinking that SRV got his inspiration for Riviera Paradise from this.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I'm thinking that SRV got his inspiration for Riviera Paradise from this.

John, that does sound a little like Riviera Paradise...jazzy and free. This is a great sounding album...It's on my short list. BTW, I see it has risen to #2 on the current album selling charts! Amazing for an artist that has been dead for so long, OTOH we are talking Jimi here:) There is a reason why he is a legend among us guitar players.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
John, that does sound a little like Riviera Paradise...jazzy and free. This is a great sounding album...It's on my short list. BTW, I see it has risen to #2 on the current album selling charts! Amazing for an artist that has been dead for so long, OTOH we are talking Jimi here:) There is a reason why he is a legend among us guitar players.

This album is so refreshing for some reason. Like a young Jimi coming out and saying hello to the world. I haven't stopped playing it.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Damn people...it's Jimi were talking about here. Not even a passing interest for an album of tunes by perhaps the greatest guitarist of all time. Maybe this will spark your interest:

Dude...music is right at the bottom of the list of interests for most audiophiles...lol...don't you notice music
threads die a quick death while threads about capacitors and wire go on for months?

Of course I have this..I have have had much of it already in bootleg form..I have around 50 GB of of Jimi Boots.

I'm a certified lunatic fanatic concerning anything Hendrix.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Dude...music is right at the bottom of the list of interests for most audiophiles...lol...don't you notice music
threads die a quick death while threads about capacitors and wire go on for months?

Of course I have this..I have have had much of it already in bootleg form..I have around 50 GB of of Jimi Boots.

Yes I've noticed. And I'm not liking it one bit. Seems like it's becoming the norm around here.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
threads die a quick death
while threads about capacitors and wire go on for months?

How come the "What's Spinning Tonight" thread has been going on for a million pages??

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Andre-I never took that thread the way you portrayed it. It's a good thread that talks about music that excites people. Who cares if it is vinyl or super vinyl or CDs? And I don't think there is anything wrong with people pursuing the best sounding copies of music they love. And if you love jazz, I don't know if you can find any that is bad sounding. I haven't yet. And that is on mono reissues that cost $12 as well as all out efforts cut at 45 RPM.

And having said all of that, I do get your point that some people appear to be more excited about the gear than the music. But, if you didn't care about music, you damn sure wouldn't care about spending serious money in order to reproduce music.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Andre-I never took that thread the way you portrayed it. It's a good thread that talks about music that excites people. Who cares if it is vinyl or super vinyl or CDs? And I don't think there is anything wrong with people pursuing the best sounding copies of music they love. And if you love jazz, I don't know if you can find any that is bad sounding. I haven't yet. And that is on mono reissues that cost $12 as well as all out efforts cut at 45 RPM.

And having said all of that, I do get your point that some people appear to be more excited about the gear than the music. But, if you didn't care about music, you damn sure wouldn't care about spending serious money in order to reproduce music.

Very fair reply mep.

I WAS being a bit sarcastic...

I have have checked out that thread a bunch of times, and there are many non audiophile, "real world" albums
featured.

Interestingly, to your last point, I have met and spoken to several well known mastering and recording engineers, and
record producers, and unfortunately, many of them have nothing but disdain for audiophiles. One quote was that they
are not into music, they "just like the sounds their trophy systems make." Ouch!

I named my review site Serving The Music, because I felt that if all this equipment did not bring the music emotional
impact to the forefront, it is just money wasted and the worship of shiny boxes.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
-- Andre, I too agree with these 'well known mastering and recording engineers, and record producers'. :b ...From that 'one quote'.

Well, as I said, it is unfortunate they have this view. And let's be fair, while there is a lot of truth to it, it certainly is an exaggeration.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Interestingly, to your last point, I have met and spoken to several well known mastering and recording engineers, and
record producers, and unfortunately, many of them have nothing but disdain for audiophiles. One quote was that they
are not into music, they "just like the sounds their trophy systems make." Ouch!

and what compressed, lifeless, overly processed amusical drek are they taking credit for? based on the vast majority of medicocre to poor SQ in recordings, shitty mastering/recording engineers must be a dime a dozen. recording engineers and especially producers could learn quite a bit from those with audiophile sensibilties.

i'd put people like doug sax at or near the very top of their game, not only has he recorded/produced and mastered many superb sounding records for audiophiles, he does an insanley good job of getting the most of other people's work - many with average SQ. when you see "TML" imprinted in the runout groove you know it will represent the best sounding version, on wax at least, that you can get.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
and what compressed, lifeless, overly processed amusical drek are they taking credit for? based on the vast majority of medicocre to poor SQ in recordings, shitty mastering/recording engineers must be a dime a dozen. recording engineers and especially producers could learn quite a bit from those with audiophile sensibilties.

i'd put people like doug sax at or near the very top of their game, not only has he recorded/produced and mastered many superb sounding records for audiophiles, he does an insanley good job of getting the most of other people's work - many with average SQ. when you see "TML" imprinted in the runout groove you know it will represent the best sounding version, on wax at least, that you can get.

No, the guys I spoke are not responsible for any dreck. Otherwise I would not have bothered.

Alan Parsons, who I consider superb is one. I have also spoken to Doug Sax, and he is great. We did not discuss audiophiles by the way.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
No, the guys I spoke are not responsible for any dreck. Otherwise I would not have bothered.

Alan Parsons, who I consider superb is one. I have also spoken to Doug Sax, and he is great. We did not discuss audiophiles by the way.

its the blanket condemnation of the word audiophile that rasies my ire. I guess we should define what 'audiophile records' are. i think we're confusing recordings made with the express purpose of demonstrating an audio system vs a HQ remaster of a popular recording cut at 45 rpm and pressed on 200g vinyl and/or hires digital formats.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
-- Rob, I believe that we had few discussions in the past, right here at WBF, on the definition of what an "audiophile" is, mean.

For me, it is someone who enjoy listening to music. ...From an audio device of course.
...Or it could also be Live. ...Even singing yourself in your own shower. :b

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing