Ethernet, Switches, and Mosaic and Roon

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
First some background about the origin of the question.

At a Sasha V release demo in NYC, someone noticed, and posted about (PS Audio forum), the differences he heard when the dCS stack streamed through Patricia Barber’s Companion cut “If this isn’t jazz.” He noted a glass tinkling event around 2:20 into the cut (I would say just slightly before 2:20).

He went home and tried to replicate the detail and prominence of the glass event in his home system, and was disappointed.

Someone posted (Conrad Johnson Owners forum) about his post in response to one of my posts about the Sasha V release. This led to my digging out the Qobuz and Amazon hi res files and playing them multiple times with four different paths. I did my best to match levels without instruments. The gear had a one hour warmup before listening evaluation began.

1. HEOS on iPad, Amazon, WiFi, Marantz ND8006, Marantz SA-KI Ruby DAC, Sennheiser HDV820, HD800S.

2. BluOS on iPad, Amazon, Ethernet, Bluesound Node, McIntosh MDA200 DAC, ARC REF6SE, ARC REF250SEs, Sasha DAWs.

3. Roon on iPad, WiFi, Qobuz, Ethernet, Roon Core on Nucleus, Ethernet, dCS Rossini, and then ARC/Wilson as in 2 above.

4. Mosaic on iPad, and then Qobuz without Roon or Nucleus, but otherwise as in 3 above.

I was not surprised that in path 1, that the event was audible, but neither prominent nor detailed.

I was not surprised when in path 2, the event was noticeably better in terms of clarity than in 1. It was well formed.

I was not surprised when in path 3, the event was even more clearly defined and seemed to me to match what the PS Audio forum posted had described.

The dCS rep had once asked me to try Mosaic instead of Roon because some listeners preferred it. So, my listening via path 4 was on a whim based on this cocktail party nudge.

Imagine my surprise when the glass event as heard in path 4 literally stood out with the program and was the clearest of all.

I repeated the experiment the next night, with the same result.

The difference between 3 and 4 is what puzzles me. In fact, I have now listened to several reference albums and am noticing more fully developed musical detail across the whole spectrum with Mosaic directly instead of through Roon.

The Nucleus and the Rossini are both connected to my network with 2m Cat6 from the same switch.

So … we come to the question.

Does direct control via Mosaic sound better because it cuts out that Nucleus to Rossini RAAT connective loop? Or are there other plausible explanations?

Last edited:

lordcloud

Jul 5, 2016
Round Rock, Texas
I just tried to replicate this.

I heard something at about 2:22, but not right before 2:20.

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
I just tried to replicate this.

I heard something at about 2:22, but not right before 2:20.
Yes, watching clock more carefully, 2:22 is more accurate. The subject event is the only glass tinkling around 2:20.

But that doesn’t explain what’s going on with Roon vs Mosaic. Playing the same Qobuz file, Mosaic is sounding like the file is better.

When I installed the Rossini, Qobuz and Mosaic were not reliably gapless together. That was a big enough flaw for me to prefer Roon which was presenting Qobuz gapless. So when the Mosaic Qobuz rift was finally fixed, after confirming the fix, I just continued to enjoy Roon.

Now I’m wondering if this is the sort of experience those who are so negative about Roon have had.

And I am wondering if the degradation is in the RAAT since that wouldn’t seem to be used by the resident Mosaic.

harsheel_dbs

Mar 12, 2020
My guess is whatever sound engine is being used by Mosaic to direct the conversion internally compared to RAAT is the difference.

I have noticed that although the hardware is the same my setup (Server/Streamer & DAC) I get a different sound when I use a) Roon entirely, b) Roon Interface with Squeezelite or c) Innuos Sense software to play the same song from any streaming source.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing