Favorite Jazz Albums 2023

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
In alphabetical order, subject to change. (Standard vinyl unless otherwise noted):

Ambrose Akinmusire "Owl Song"
While the first side is stronger than the second, this is very enjoyable. Features the always outstanding drummer Herlin Riley. Very good, if not outstanding sonics.
Ambrose Akinmusire

Jaimie Branch ""Fly or Die (WW3)"
Sadly the final release by the late trumpeter. Outstanding improvisational music. Excellent sonics.

Aaron Diehl & the Knights "Zodiac Suite"
Reimagining of Mary Lou Williams' LP. 180 gm.
Aaron Diehl

Lafayette Gilchrist "Undaunted"
First vinyl release for under-appreciated pianist with a distinctive left handed style.
Lafayette Gilchrist

James Brandon Lewis "Eye of I"
This one was a grower but worth the effort. His other 2023 release "For Mahalia" is also excellent.
James Brandon Lewis

Jo Lowry "Acrobats"
Spectacular vocal album. Superb sonics highlighted by Linda May Han Oh on bass
Jo Lowry

Allison Miller "Rivers in Our Veins"
180 gm with great sonics. Commissioned piece including tap dancing that plays well with her percussion. Reminiscent of a commissioned piece by the late Geri Allen.
Allison Miller

David Murray "Sun/Moon"
Solo outing on saxophone and bass clarinet. Killer sonics. 45 rpm.
David Murray

Daniel Rosenboom "Polarity"
Had never heard of this LA based trumpeter. Big fan now. 180 gm 2x LP
Dan Rosenboom

Rudy Royston "Day"
One of my 2023 favorites. Nice sounding, digital only
Rudy Royston

Tyshawn Sorey "Continuing"
Trio release by acclaimed drummer. 45 rpm with excellent sonics. His style reminds me a bit of the late, great Ralph Peterson.
Tyshawn Sorey

Terell Stafford "Between Two Worlds"
I'm a huge fan. This might be his best work yet. Digital only.
Terell Stafford

Veronica Swift "S/T"
I'm a 'Swiftie'. Saw her live this year and it was memorable. Very good sonics.
Veronica Swift

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing