Results from NativeDSD's Expanded Catalog

APP

Oct 1, 2014
Fine interesting article written by R. Paul for the Positive Feedback High-End Magazine;

"You may have seen that NativeDSD recently decided to expand its catalog offerings to now offer albums originally recorded in PCM 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz, and 192kHz rates in addition to the DSD/DXD recordings they have always featured. See the announcement HERE. So, after a month under the new policy, I've been watching to see what this change brings to us as listeners. And, thus far, I've been quite pleased with the additional titles from their existing label partners. Here are some of the jewels I've found.

All are albums are available in the PCM wav format in which they were originally recorded (whether 88.2, 96, 176.4, or 192kHz) so that you can get the least additionally processed file. Of course, if you've determined that your DAC performs better with a higher resolution file, those higher resolutions are additionally available at NativeDSD, up to PCM 352.8kHz (DXD) and 384kHz, and up to DSD256 and DSD512. (But see my note at the end of this article.)

Little Blue by Carmen Gomes Inc. Sound Liaison 2015 (original recording resolution 96kHz) HERE

I admit it—I've become a huge fan of Carmen Gomes Inc. Their albums contain just an excellent selection of songs, with excellent instrumental performances, and the ever wonderful voice of Carmen Gomes. Carmen and her partners consistently deliver a delightful blending of blues, rock and song. In Little Blue, Carmen collects a broad range of songs which she says are "songs of my youth that made a lingering impression and original compositions, some written a long time ago; some only recently. They all deal with topics of everyday life that keep my mind occupied: the choices we make, how we define ourselves and how we deal with life in general."

As with all of her albums, Carmen takes songs down to their basic elements and then rebuilds/restructures to suit her style. Her songs don't sound like covers. They sound original and authentic—a new take on something familiar that gives a new listening experience. Each sounds like a valid new interpretation. With a bluesy, intimate style, and a sultry sweet voice, Carmen strikes brilliantly at the heart of the song; she conveys pure emotion to the listener. Add to this an ensemble that is so tight they could collectively be a single person, and you have performances that consistently hit their mark.

Recorded at M.C.O, Studio 2, Hilversum, The Netherlands, on August 17 & 18, 2014 and April 12, 2015, this is a fine example of Frans de Rond's excellent engineering that captures the performers as if we are in the room with them. Just brilliantly recorded.

We now also have available two additional albums from Carmen Gomes Inc., to my great delight. Both are original recordings at 96kHz and they are excellent. They are each a deep, sultry dive into the blues—filled with emotion, filled with intimate one-to-one communication. It's wonderful to now have all three of these earlier albums of Carmen Gomez Inc available at NativeDSD.

Torn by Carmen Gomes Inc. Sound Liaison 2012 (original recording resolution 96kHz) HERE

Thousand Shades of Blue by Carmen Gomes Inc. Sound Liaison 2012 (original recording resolution 96kHz) HERE

Road to Memphis, Paul Berner Band. Sound Liaison 2012 (original recording resolution 96kHz) HERE

Dualtone, Atzko Kohashi & Sebastiaan Kaptein. Sound Liaison 2012 (original recording resolution 96kHz) HERE

Sound Liaison continues reaching into their vaults to provide two jazz recordings from 2012: Dualtone and Road to Memphis . Both are beautifully recorded. The Paul Berner Band's Road to Memphis was recorded live in front of an audience in Studio Eleven (Hilversum) and the energy of the performances are what you get only with a live recording. The band is really moving together in these cuts. In Dual Tone, Atzko Kohashi and Sebastiaan Kaptein are working deeply through improvisation. This brings its own unique creative energy. And Atzko Kohashi is her ever-innovating and engaging performer.

And I'm told there will be more recordings from Reference Recordings coming over the next weeks. First will be the stereo only albums, at a rate of about 2 per week. Following the stereo only releases, NativeDSD expects to be able to offer the Reference Recordings albums that were released in stereo and surround sound. Over 30 Reference Recording albums are anticipated to become available in the original recording format of 176.4kHz and also in higher resolutions processed through NativeDSD's Higher Rates Program (HRP, see HERE). Lovers of 5.1 surround sound rejoice! I guarantee you that Tom Caulfield, NativeDSD's mastering engineer, is dancing his happy dance over getting agreement from Reference Recordings to release these.''
Link to full article;https://positive-feedback.com/reviews/music-reviews/nativedsd-expanded-catalog/

Reactions: Audio Addict

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
Fine interesting article written by R. Paul for the Positive Feedback High-End Magazine;

"You may have seen that NativeDSD recently decided to expand its catalog offerings to now offer albums originally recorded in PCM 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz, and 192kHz rates in addition to the DSD/DXD recordings they have always featured. See the announcement HERE. So, after a month under the new policy, I've been watching to see what this change brings to us as listeners. And, thus far, I've been quite pleased with the additional titles from their existing label partners. Here are some of the jewels I've found.

All are albums are available in the PCM wav format in which they were originally recorded (whether 88.2, 96, 176.4, or 192kHz) so that you can get the least additionally processed file. Of course, if you've determined that your DAC performs better with a higher resolution file, those higher resolutions are additionally available at NativeDSD, up to PCM 352.8kHz (DXD) and 384kHz, and up to DSD256 and DSD512. (But see my note at the end of this article.)

Little Blue by Carmen Gomes Inc. Sound Liaison 2015 (original recording resolution 96kHz) HERE

I admit it—I've become a huge fan of Carmen Gomes Inc. Their albums contain just an excellent selection of songs, with excellent instrumental performances, and the ever wonderful voice of Carmen Gomes. Carmen and her partners consistently deliver a delightful blending of blues, rock and song. In Little Blue, Carmen collects a broad range of songs which she says are "songs of my youth that made a lingering impression and original compositions, some written a long time ago; some only recently. They all deal with topics of everyday life that keep my mind occupied: the choices we make, how we define ourselves and how we deal with life in general."

As with all of her albums, Carmen takes songs down to their basic elements and then rebuilds/restructures to suit her style. Her songs don't sound like covers. They sound original and authentic—a new take on something familiar that gives a new listening experience. Each sounds like a valid new interpretation. With a bluesy, intimate style, and a sultry sweet voice, Carmen strikes brilliantly at the heart of the song; she conveys pure emotion to the listener. Add to this an ensemble that is so tight they could collectively be a single person, and you have performances that consistently hit their mark.

Recorded at M.C.O, Studio 2, Hilversum, The Netherlands, on August 17 & 18, 2014 and April 12, 2015, this is a fine example of Frans de Rond's excellent engineering that captures the performers as if we are in the room with them. Just brilliantly recorded.

We now also have available two additional albums from Carmen Gomes Inc., to my great delight. Both are original recordings at 96kHz and they are excellent. They are each a deep, sultry dive into the blues—filled with emotion, filled with intimate one-to-one communication. It's wonderful to now have all three of these earlier albums of Carmen Gomez Inc available at NativeDSD.

Torn by Carmen Gomes Inc. Sound Liaison 2012 (original recording resolution 96kHz) HERE

Thousand Shades of Blue by Carmen Gomes Inc. Sound Liaison 2012 (original recording resolution 96kHz) HERE

Road to Memphis, Paul Berner Band. Sound Liaison 2012 (original recording resolution 96kHz) HERE

Dualtone, Atzko Kohashi & Sebastiaan Kaptein. Sound Liaison 2012 (original recording resolution 96kHz) HERE

Sound Liaison continues reaching into their vaults to provide two jazz recordings from 2012: Dualtone and Road to Memphis . Both are beautifully recorded. The Paul Berner Band's Road to Memphis was recorded live in front of an audience in Studio Eleven (Hilversum) and the energy of the performances are what you get only with a live recording. The band is really moving together in these cuts. In Dual Tone, Atzko Kohashi and Sebastiaan Kaptein are working deeply through improvisation. This brings its own unique creative energy. And Atzko Kohashi is her ever-innovating and engaging performer.

And I'm told there will be more recordings from Reference Recordings coming over the next weeks. First will be the stereo only albums, at a rate of about 2 per week. Following the stereo only releases, NativeDSD expects to be able to offer the Reference Recordings albums that were released in stereo and surround sound. Over 30 Reference Recording albums are anticipated to become available in the original recording format of 176.4kHz and also in higher resolutions processed through NativeDSD's Higher Rates Program (HRP, see HERE). Lovers of 5.1 surround sound rejoice! I guarantee you that Tom Caulfield, NativeDSD's mastering engineer, is dancing his happy dance over getting agreement from Reference Recordings to release these.''
Link to full article;https://positive-feedback.com/reviews/music-reviews/nativedsd-expanded-catalog/

I agree with the article in that you should not assume that a higher rate version will be better sounding than a lower rate version of the same recording. From time to time this is the case that a 44.1Kz or 88.2Kz version is better sounding than the higher rate versions. Tidal allows for streaming different versions of the same recordings, when available. With DSD, most recordings are in DSD64 and DSD128 and HQPLAYER offers the option to keep them at their native rate while still benefiting from the filters and modulators.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing