Guitar amp micing

davifp

Jul 18, 2012
Hi guys!

A few days ago I heard a engineer saying that the best way to record the guitar amp is putting the cabinet (speaker) up something like a rack, chair, etc.

Is it really true?
Why?
Is there some acoustic problem on this?

Thanks everyone, and sorry for my english.

Hugs
Davi

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
That's to reduce the reflection/boost from the floor. I personally have not done that, always too much work. I just use a decent high-SPL mic (the Sennheiser 421 comes to mind) on a short stand just in front of the speaker.

bdiament

Apr 26, 2012
New York area
Hi Davi,

Hi guys!

A few days ago I heard a engineer saying that the best way to record the guitar amp is putting the cabinet (speaker) up something like a rack, chair, etc.

Is it really true?
Why?
Is there some acoustic problem on this?

Thanks everyone, and sorry for my english.

Hugs
Davi

I got confused for a minute because the title of the thread mentions micing but the idea of putting the amp's speaker cabinet up on something is a separate subject.

In my experience, the answer depends on the amp and on the sound one wants to capture. In my own work, some amps might get placed on a chair, some might just get tilted backward and others are left as they are. My experience has been that in most instances, getting some air under an amp's cabinet improves transient attack (partially due, as DonH50 mentions, to reflection from the floor).

Here's a view from a session I did for Jason Vitelli's Confluence, where the guitar and bass amps wanted what I described above (note one amp remains on the floor but is tilted back):
2011042501.jpg

As to micing, as you can see in the photograph, my own approach is to *not* mic any instruments (or voices). Instead, I mic the *event*, using only a single pair of high definition microphones (separated by a baffle of my own design). This is a different type of recording which omits overdubs and mixing and mixing desks but provides something else in exchange. (I like both the more typical way of recording and I like this method. Both provide their own rewards.)

Best regards,
Barry
www.soundkeeperrecordings.com
www.barrydiamentaudio.com

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing