My Mola Mola Tambaqui Revuew

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
Sweet... and what a coincidence! And I am told the Makua with the DAC card built tin actually sounds a wee bit better as the need for yet one more set of interconnects is left out of the chain.
Congratulations on the Makua!

I'm a big believer in eliminating cables when possible. Since my setup is so simple (1 digital input), adding a Makua wouldn't be the best use of my audio budget even though I'm very curious about the musical qualities the Makua might bring. A photo of the Makua + Kalugas brought on severe audio lust when they were first released years ago :) So, the Makua has resided in my brain for some time...

Haven't tried using the MU1's volume control and running the Tambaqui full tilt to the amps. That might be interesting. Grimm has introduced a MU2 (will be sold in October), which is a MU1 streamer + DAC + analog volume control in one box. Again, considering what eliminating a cable (not to mention fine tuning the DAC for the streamer output) as well as an analog volume control might bring, has me curious about that option too.

Did you get the Sonore upgrade yet?

KrellFan1

Mar 15, 2023
Phoenix, AZ
Congratulations on the Makua!

I'm a big believer in eliminating cables when possible. Since my setup is so simple (1 digital input), adding a Makua wouldn't be the best use of my audio budget even though I'm very curious about the musical qualities the Makua might bring. A photo of the Makua + Kalugas brought on severe audio lust when they were first released years ago :) So, the Makua has resided in my brain for some time...

Haven't tried using the MU1's volume control and running the Tambaqui full tilt to the amps. That might be interesting. Grimm has introduced a MU2 (will be sold in October), which is a MU1 streamer + DAC + analog volume control in one box. Again, considering what eliminating a cable (not to mention fine tuning the DAC for the streamer output) as well as an analog volume control might bring, has me curious about that option too.

Did you get the Sonore upgrade yet?
So I guess I am confused. Do I understand that presently you have NO preamplifier in the chain? According to most all I know, including the Mola Mila distributor Bill Parish, a preamplifier will always without exception make a good DAC sound better - provided of course it is a quality preamp. And no, I haven’t yet sent in my Sonora for an upgrade as I’m waiting on Adrian to inform me that me the 2.9: firmware is ready. It has been a long wait!

KrellFan1

Mar 15, 2023
Phoenix, AZ
That’s where I am now…. I have a Makua with the Tambaquai module (& the phono module) (& with a Mu-1 !)

And I used to have a Krell pre- and power- !!
So you are all set! I guess I misunderstood.

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
So I guess I am confused. Do I understand that presently you have NO preamplifier in the chain? According to most all I know, including the Mola Mila distributor Bill Parish, a preamplifier will always without exception make a good DAC sound better - provided of course it is a quality preamp. And no, I haven’t yet sent in my Sonora for an upgrade as I’m waiting on Adrian to inform me that me the 2.9: firmware is ready. It has been a long wait!
correct: NO preamplifier. This has been my preference for many years, but I don't enter the debate which will never be resolved or end.

Since I don't have to market the Mola Mola products, I would not make the rather highfalutin statement made on their website: "This DAC, combined with a pair of Mola Mola Kaluga monoblocks constitutes the finest digital replay chain available, irrespective of price."

As Bill has said, Bruno wants to listen as though in the recording studio and he (Bill) wants center middle row perspective in the concert hall. Since I mostly listen to Jazz, the recording studio perspective works for me.

KrellFan1

Mar 15, 2023
Phoenix, AZ
correct: NO preamplifier. This has been my preference for many years, but I don't enter the debate which will never be resolved or end.

Since I don't have to market the Mola Mola products, I would not make the rather highfalutin statement made on their website: "This DAC, combined with a pair of Mola Mola Kaluga monoblocks constitutes the finest digital replay chain available, irrespective of price."

As Bill has said, Bruno wants to listen as though in the recording studio and he (Bill) wants center middle row perspective in the concert hall. Since I mostly listen to Jazz, the recording studio perspective works for me.
OK and I’m with you with respect to what Bill says versus what Bruno maintains. I agree with Bill and I prefer the sound of my analog gear. I love the Makua preamplifier because it’s analog and Class A, as is my Krell amplifier.

That said, the vast majority of what I’ve read, published in conjunction with those knowledgeable sources with whom I’ve had the discussion, the general consensus is that a good quality preamplifier can improve upon the overall sound quality of a deck going directly to an amplifier. But I totally respect that there are large numbers of Sirius music listeners out there, who prefer to go directly to an amplifier, and I respect that. For what it’s worth here is a sample of such an article that debates the subject. For the record, I really don’t have a dog in the fight. Lol. https://audiomav.com/dac-vs-dac-pre-amplifier-differences-in-sound/

Reactions: PYP

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I think thezMOLA MOLA is as good as the software.

KrellFan1

Mar 15, 2023
Phoenix, AZ

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

Billy Bunter

Sep 20, 2021
OK and I’m with you with respect to what Bill says versus what Bruno maintains. I agree with Bill and I prefer the sound of my analog gear. I love the Makua preamplifier because it’s analog and Class A, as is my Krell amplifier.

That said, the vast majority of what I’ve read, published in conjunction with those knowledgeable sources with whom I’ve had the discussion, the general consensus is that a good quality preamplifier can improve upon the overall sound quality of a deck going directly to an amplifier. But I totally respect that there are large numbers of Sirius music listeners out there, who prefer to go directly to an amplifier, and I respect that. For what it’s worth here is a sample of such an article that debates the subject. For the record, I really don’t have a dog in the fight. Lol. https://audiomav.com/dac-vs-dac-pre-amplifier-differences-in-sound/
I wouldn’t rely on other people’s internet opinions in this matter - you have to try for yourself. I am sure some combos will benefit from adding a particular preamp, and some combos will benefit from removing an existing preamp (if possible).

My own significant experience came when I had a Krell KRC3 preamp, Krell FPB 200 power, then added a Mark Levinson 390S which has top notch DAC circuitry with digital volume control. After a while I removed the preamp for the “purer” sound. It was some time later I decided to add it back in (after I’d got used to the exceptional CD performance of the 390S). It was then I had the revelation that it sounded much better WITH the additional Krell preamp !

No logical explanation why adding a class A preamp can do this, except there’s additional gain in the preamp stage before the DAC. But it convinced me to always try.

The Makua preamp had a similar effect for me - it elevated the already excellent Grimm Mu1 / Tambaquai combo that I auditioned before buying, so I went for the Makua +Tambaquai instead (& benefited from the outstanding Makua configurable phono stage option)

Reactions: KrellFan1 and PYP

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
I wouldn’t rely on other people’s internet opinions in this matter - you have to try for yourself. I am sure some combos will benefit from adding a particular preamp, and some combos will benefit from removing an existing preamp (if possible).

My own significant experience came when I had a Krell KRC3 preamp, Krell FPB 200 power, then added a Mark Levinson 390S which has top notch DAC circuitry with digital volume control. After a while I removed the preamp for the “purer” sound. It was some time later I decided to add it back in (after I’d got used to the exceptional CD performance of the 390S). It was then I had the revelation that it sounded much better WITH the additional Krell preamp !

No logical explanation why adding a class A preamp can do this, except there’s additional gain in the preamp stage before the DAC. But it convinced me to always try.

The Makua preamp had a similar effect for me - it elevated the already excellent Grimm Mu1 / Tambaquai combo that I auditioned before buying, so I went for the Makua +Tambaquai instead (& benefited from the outstanding Makua configurable phono stage option)
Completely agree that experiencing it yourself is the only way to evaluate gear. And that our tastes can change or evolve therefore checking one's assumptions from time to time is valuable. Trying a Makua with my current setup would be an ideal experiment to see if my assumption about going direct to the amp is still what I prefer.

That assumption rests upon my current enjoyment of music. However, I do not have an analog side to my setup that would benefit from the Makua and I tend to prefer simplicity. That is why I'm interested in the MU2. Streamer and DAC sit in one box and an analog volume control is included. Naturally, it will sound different. But will my enjoyment of music increase? Only an in-home demo would answer that question.

KrellFan1

Mar 15, 2023
Phoenix, AZ

There IS a very logical explanation. It’s all about voltage gain. Most DAC’s lack sufficient voltage to drive MANY if not most amplifiers. Exceptions presumably exist. A good or great preamp like a Krell or the Makua will not of course ALTER the signal it receives from the DAC but serve to step up the voltage, hence the gain , delivering the full breath of the DAC signal to the power amp.

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
There IS a very logical explanation. It’s all about voltage gain. Most DAC’s lack sufficient voltage to drive MANY if not most amplifiers. Exceptions presumably exist. A good or great preamp like a Krell or the Makua will not of course ALTER the signal it receives from the DAC but serve to step up the voltage, hence the gain , delivering the full breath of the DAC signal to the power amp.
do you use the 6v output level option on the Tambaqui?

KrellFan1

Mar 15, 2023
Phoenix, AZ
do you use the 6v output level option on the Tambaqui?
I believe so yes. What delivered a HUGE improvement for me was installing the Cerious Technologies Lumniscate power cord. Manufacturer stated his power cord particularly effective for digital devices and no lie! All I can say is WOW!

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
I believe so yes. What delivered a HUGE improvement for me was installing the Cerious Technologies Lumniscate power cord. Manufacturer stated his power cord particularly effective for digital devices and no lie! All I can say is WOW!
the use of graphene is interesting...

Reactions: KrellFan1

KrellFan1

Mar 15, 2023
Phoenix, AZ
the use of graphene is interesting...
What I can tell you is that Bob Grost (Engineer/Owner) is a genius. Former Professor of Physics at university level and clearly well versed in metallurgy. The results are simply staggering. FULL DISCLOSURE: I do not work for Cerious nor do I receive any compensation for any referrals. Bob Grost and I live within 25 minutes of each other and have becomes friends. So for me personally it is a win/win to be able to recommend a product that I know outperforms anything I have ever tried, and by a wide measure. Further, they are "value priced" considering many believe they sound better than top of the line Nordost Odin 2.

Bob is revamping his website to reflect the quality and performance of his cables. I am friends with a top shelf dealer in another state who in 25 years have NEVER carried a brand other than his "go to" brand of cables that he felt offered a good blend of value/performance. He was so blown away by the superior performance of Lumnsicate is is now a dealer for the line. If you are interested, you can call or email Bob and tell him Bob from What's Best sent you and he'll take good care of you! Here are a few pics I've taken, bc not only do they sound amazing, they are BEAUTIFUL!

Attachments

• Lumniscate Power Cord.jpeg
    Lumniscate Power Cord.jpeg
    852.7 KB · Views: 24
  • Lumniscate Speaker Cables.Close.jpeg
    Lumniscate Speaker Cables.Close.jpeg
    794.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Rear of DAC.jpeg
    Rear of DAC.jpeg
    675.5 KB · Views: 21
Reactions: PYP

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
What I can tell you is that Bob Grost (Engineer/Owner) is a genius. Former Professor of Physics at university level and clearly well versed in metallurgy. The results are simply staggering. FULL DISCLOSURE: I do not work for Cerious nor do I receive any compensation for any referrals. Bob Grost and I live within 25 minutes of each other and have becomes friends. So for me personally it is a win/win to be able to recommend a product that I know outperforms anything I have ever tried, and by a wide measure. Further, they are "value priced" considering many believe they sound better than top of the line Nordost Odin 2.

Bob is revamping his website to reflect the quality and performance of his cables. I am friends with a top shelf dealer in another state who in 25 years have NEVER carried a brand other than his "go to" brand of cables that he felt offered a good blend of value/performance. He was so blown away by the superior performance of Lumnsicate is is now a dealer for the line. If you are interested, you can call or email Bob and tell him Bob from What's Best sent you and he'll take good care of you! Here are a few pics I've taken, bc not only do they sound amazing, they are BEAUTIFUL!
Thank you. Hopefully, when he revamps his website he will explain the use of graphene and other materials he uses. From your pictures, the power cables seem to be flexible. For anyone who has struggled with inflexible ones, this is a selling point as well. But, of course, the proof is in the listening. His trade-in policy is a good idea. Kubala-Sosna has a very good policy that enables the user to trade up without losing much $$. They have 10 levels, so there is an entry point for most folks. Perhaps at some point I'll demo a pair of his XLR ICs to compare with my KS.

Reactions: KrellFan1

KrellFan1

Mar 15, 2023
Phoenix, AZ
Thank you. Hopefully, when he revamps his website he will explain the use of graphene and other materials he uses. From your pictures, the power cables seem to be flexible. For anyone who has struggled with inflexible ones, this is a selling point as well. But, of course, the proof is in the listening. His trade-in policy is a good idea. Kubala-Sosna has a very good policy that enables the user to trade up without losing much $$. They have 10 levels, so there is an entry point for most folks. Perhaps at some point I'll demo a pair of his XLR ICs to compare with my KS.
There are blogs out here that quote Bob's findings on the theory and application of his Lumniscate line. Pretty fascinating. Some exist in this forum, others on Audiogon. His power cords are somewhat flexible to be sure. Interconnects are firm, solid, but by no means inflexible. Speaker cables are python snakes and heavy!

• Lyngdorf MP-60 SSP
  • KRELL Duo 300 XD
  • KRELL Chorus 5200
  • Mola Mola Makua Preamp
  • Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC
  • Small Green Computer ST-i5 Server
  • Sonore Optical Rendu SE
  • AQ Niagara 5000 x 2
  • Dynaudio Confidence C2 (front mains)
  • Dynaudio Confidence C1 (rear surrounds)
  • Dynaudio Confidence Center speaker
  • Focál Atmos Ceiling speakers X 4
  • REL 212/SX Sub Bass X 2
  • Oppo BDP 205 Blu-ray player
  • PS Audio DMP transport
  • Apple TV 4K
  • RoKu Ultra
  • Control4 All Home remote
  • Cabling_ Cerious Technologies Lumniscate

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I actually proceeded to further upgrade my purchase having the Makua preamplifier. I haven't gotten around to writing a review but suffice to say I am MORE than a little impressed. The Krell is a spectacular preamp; the Makua operates at a significantly higher level. Truly state of the art.
Congratulations on the upgrade then! I recommend visiting them on an audio show. They are super nice people!

KrellFan1

Mar 15, 2023
Phoenix, AZ
Congratulations on the upgrade then! I recommend visiting them on an audio show. They are super nice people!
Thanks! It’s a stunning, amazing piece of gear. And my Krell Illusion certainly no slouch performer. What some have said appears to be true (for me). - that it sells for tens of thousands of $$ less than it’s fighting weight. Expensive, yes, but exceptional value. As for the Mola Mola ppl, no doubt they’re nice people. Most ppl from the Netherlands are quite nice. I’ve spent time there.

Reactions: AMR / iFi audio

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Thanks! It’s a stunning, amazing piece of gear. And my Krell Illusion certainly no slouch performer. What some have said appears to be true (for me). - that it sells for tens of thousands of $$ less than it’s fighting weight. Expensive, yes, but exceptional value. As for the Mola Mola ppl, no doubt they’re nice people. Most ppl from the Netherlands are quite nice. I’ve spent time there.
Agreed. That region is very rich with exceptional audio companies, and exceptional people too. Love to meet them at the European shows.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing