Used MG-1 questions

Noamtasini

Jan 15, 2024
Las vegas
Hi to all.
Purchased a pair of these just a few days ago. They are probably original and not refurbished. They sound great, but it seems the right speaker is a tad lower in volume and less clear in the high resolution area. I rested them just hooked to an Onkyo AVR receiver producing 80W per channel. They will be eventually hooked to a more powerful B@K EX 422 sonata putting out 350W per channel into 4 OHMS.
Is this just a matter of refurbishment required for that speaker as there might be a disconnect of a few treble wires, and the lower volume is attributed to other wires not performing perfectly, or could it be that my test AVR receiver is not up to the task of powering them both equally, or a faulty right channel in said receiver, or right speaker cable etc...?
Thanks for your support and help in advance.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
MG-I's are quite old at this point; Magnepan ceased production of the original model ca. 1980 or so IIRC, and the final MG-Ic was around 1990 before the 1.x line rolled out (then SMG, MMG, etc.)

At moderate to low volume, move your ear across the panels and ensure the tweeter section is working in both sides. If not, check (better yet replace, or at least measure) the fuse to make sure it is good.

Swap the speaker cables at the back of the AVR or speakers (with it off!) to see if the problem follows the amp or stays with the speaker. If it stays with the speaker, then swap speakers (side to side) to see if it is the effect of the room causing the difference.

If none of that works, call Magnepan.

HTH - Don

Noamtasini

Jan 15, 2024
Las vegas
Thanks Don for that detailed reply. Thought about maybe replacing the fuse. But thought it either works or wouldn't if burnt. What fuse does it take? Where to get it?
I'll swap cables after this test.

DonH50

Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
I see. Shows 1.5 AMP fuse max. Type 3AG normal blo?
I believe so. Normal fuses are usually just one thin strip; slow-blow typically have a coil and often a resistor in side (in parallel with the fuse link). It should be stamped on the fuse head if not on the back panel of the speaker. AFAIK all Magnepans use fast-blow 3AG fuses and they warn against slow-blow.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
My old memory says slo-blo. Make sure all contacts are clean and tight. If you can, run a test tone into an SPL meter to check levels. Finally let it play at high volume for prolonged peiods.

DonH50

Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
MG-1 requires normal blo fuses. All I see are slow or fast for sale .. Which should I buy?
Fast! Do NOT use slo-blo; Magnepan explicitly says that in all their literature. The two types are "fast" and "slow"; the "normal" term means "fast".

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Fast! Do NOT use slo-blo; Magnepan explicitly says that in all their literature. The two types are "fast" and "slow"; the "normal" term means "fast".
I always defer to Professor Don on all things technical. IME, I kept a pocket full of slo-blo for my MG1. Such was the frequency with which I blew fuses, A popular tweak was to wrap the fuse in aluminum to defeat the fuse. I never got that bold. Better safe than sorry.
I was never able to sell my Maggies. That darn Jum Winey kept upgrading the quality without a significant price increase. It always made more sense to just buy the new model.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Hi Gregadd,

Way off topic. Sorry to the OP. Do you own an iFi Aurora? I am getting one to,try in a few days.

On topic, if tweeter fuse blown, would you hear anything coming out of the tweeter panel?

Reactions: Noamtasini

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing