Greta Thunberg loses out on Nobel Peace Prize. How could so many be wrong?

Did the Nobel Judges get it right by not awarding Greta Thunberg the Novel Peace Prize

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I read the article in the Economist. Is there a longer article that I should have read that can tell me the same thing? Has an environmentalist won the Peace prize before? No.

I don't think there's more to read than the standards they use to determine who's more deserving each year for each category. This is a small group of people; they can't know everything good that is happening in the world and the full impact of that good on the humanity and its planet. It's very normal. They are chosen to choose the chosen ones. Each one of us we pick our heroes of peace every year. I am sure that within their own organization there are different choices ...

For me Greta is exceptional, a dose of illumination and life. To inspire the kids globally in a healthier environment is in itself the path to humanity's peace. We are allowed to have more than one winner, it is permissible.

Edit: Typo...organization with a z.

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Strong Women scare you?
Not at all. As strong as Malala is she was deserved of the prize. Sorry but Greta just doesn’t qualify. All the judges got it right. Greta just didnt qualify. This is a peace prize

Reactions: Folsom

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
"How dare you! You have stolen my dreams and my childhood."

View attachment 57764

I recently attended a local Climate Strike. There, I met a couple from Hungary that was hitch-hiking across the country to do rock-climbing. They are free-climbers. These people had trouble paying $7 for a jar of peanut butter and yet they had made signs and were taking part in the protest. It's not the economic level that is relevant here, it's the values. This is what Americans are lacking in, good values.

Reactions: infinitely baffled

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Not at all. As strong as Malala is she was deserved of the prize. Sorry but Greta just doesn’t qualify. All the judges got it right. Greta just didnt qualify. This is a peace prize

Agree. Didn't Malala already get a prize for her work?

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I don't know why Obama got it, but if it was because of the Iranian nuclear deal, he deserved it. Now look at where we are at without it.

Yes, he should have gotten it for the Iran nuclear deal, one of the most brilliant and effective (until it was torn up) pieces of diplomacy since WW II (consistent and deliberate misinformation about it notwithstanding). Nuclear experts just couldn't believe how favorable it was to the US.

However, Obama got the prize when he barely had been president. He got it for what he allegedly represented, not for what he had done. This was preposterous and unacceptable.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
For 2019, the Nobel Peace Prize has been awarded to Abiy Ahmed, the Ethiopian Prime Minister who helped end his country's 20-year war with Eritrea.
https://www.nobelprize.org/prizes/peace/2019/summary/

? https://www.nobelprize.org/prizes/lists/all-nobel-peace-prizes/
* The Nobel Peace Prize 2013 - They spell "Organisation" with a "s".
I didn't know that it could be spelled with either a z or a s.
_____

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...4e6efc-eba4-11e9-9306-47cb0324fd44_story.html

* The president of USA would love to win it, me I think we'll win a free ticket passing go and directly to jail ... Good luck with his Peace Prize.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Agree. Didn't Malala already get a prize for her work?

"On 10 October 2014, Malala Yousafzai was announced as the co-recipient of the 2014 Nobel Peace Prize for her struggle against the suppression of children and young people and for the right of all children to education. Having received the prize at the age of 17, Yousafzai is the youngest Nobel laureate."

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
From the Washington Post https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...4e6efc-eba4-11e9-9306-47cb0324fd44_story.html

Henrik Urdal, head of the Peace Research Institute Oslo, omitted Thunberg from the Nobel Peace Prize shortlist he publishes.

He explained his decision to The Washington Post, saying there “isn’t scientific consensus that there is a linear relationship between climate change — or resource scarcity, more broadly — and armed conflict.

I like Greta, but nothing to do with peace efforts in her campaign, so far.

Yes she was omitted because they say that climate change is not proven scientifically.
And, what does it have to do with stopping wars and guns?

* When enough people are dead from pollution (CO2, toxic water, radioactive food, ...) they might change their tune about Peace and its wider deeper meaning ...

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
That's right, blame it on somebody else. Stick your head in the sand. We are only the second largest emitter in the world anyway. We used the be the world leader on these types of things. We could influence other nations. Now we just reneg on and back out of agreements and betray our allies. Punish other nations for not buying enough of our products. Shameful behavior and I'm not proud to be an American anymore. None of us should be.

Right on Steve, and China is the number one world leader when it comes to many things.
They have the power to lead in many sectors ... and they do.
Peace?

Reactions: PeterA

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com

This chart tells it all. It's an individual problem in the US. There are fewer of us and yet we pollute way too much. It's not surprising when you look around at the ICE's running on every street corner and yard and cars filling many streets. 3 or 4 cars in every driveway. It's not surprising when you look at our aging housing, which has poor insulation and inefficient heating and cooing and still using incandescent lighting. It's not surprising when you look at the poor rate of adoption of solar and electric cars in the US.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Right on Steve, and China is the number one world leader when it comes to many things.
They have the power to lead in many sectors ... and they do.
Peace?

It's not just China. The US allowed the Japanese to become the leaders in industrial robotics and now the Chinese are trying to take that from the Japanese. South Korea became the leader in big screens and China is trying to take that too. The next thing will be cell phones, which we still lead in.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Yes she was omitted because they say that climate change is not proven scientifically.
And, what does it have to do with stopping wars and guns?

* When enough people are dead from pollution (CO2, toxic water, radioactive food, ...) they might change their tune about Peace and its wider deeper meaning ...

There will be many wars over natural resources long before the food and water runs out.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Does it mean that North America is the worst for carbon footprints and India and Brazil are the best.

That interpretation makes sense for the largest 4 emitters/capita. They drive a LOT of motorbikes in Brazil and India, as well as bicycles and walkers.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
It's not just China. The US allowed the Japanese to become the leaders in industrial robotics and now the Chinese are trying to take that from the Japanese. South Korea became the leader in big screens and China is trying to take that too. The next thing will be cell phones, which we still lead in.

But they don't have Google Chrome...Huawei cell phones.
China is a copycat country.
They do anything big for Peace in the world?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I recently attended a local Climate Strike. There, I met a couple from Hungary that was hitch-hiking across the country to do rock-climbing. They are free-climbers. These people had trouble paying $7 for a jar of peanut butter and yet they had made signs and were taking part in the protest. It's not the economic level that is relevant here, it's the values. This is what Americans are lacking in, good values.
Steve, I'm not an American, but that's an unbelievably harsh thing to say about yr compatriots. I read an article that stated Americans are the biggest contributors per capita to charity, esp to developing African countries. Now it happens to be the Christian community that are mainly doing that. But stats are stats.

Just because you're down on the Deplorables voting Trump, that doesn't excuse dissing yr country.

We're pretty fractured in the UK over Brexit. Deal or no deal, Leavers and Remainers will need to come together. Actually not a lot seperates us, just some cultural identity disconnects.

You need to reconcile yr views, because from what I've seen of Trump's rallies and the performance of Dems in the Townhall Q&As, there's only one winner in 2020.

Reactions: PeterA
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing