He spent his life building a $1 million stereo. The real cost was unfathomable

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
That has been taken care of. No worries...

That said, I read the story and some of the comments. My summation came down to one of the comments. Point blank.

"Sounds more like a sickness than a delightful hobby. It cost more than a million dollars, it cost a family."

Tom

Republicoftexas69

That has been taken care of. No worries...

That said, I read the story and some of the comments. My summation came down to one of the comments. Point blank.

"Sounds more like a sickness than a delightful hobby. It cost more than a million dollars, it cost a family."

Tom
Sad and true.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
My wife and I always joke about her being a music widow. We never would take that as fact....it's all in good fun. (and it is)

It seems this cat took this level of commitment to a level I would never strive to achieve. He lost my respect when I read that he shut the system down when his son wanted to listen.

Why?

Tom

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
My wife and I always joke about her being a music widow. We never would take that as fact....it's all in good fun. (and it is)

It seems this cat took this level of commitment to a level I would never strive to achieve. He lost my respect when I read that he shut the system down when his son wanted to listen.

Why?

Tom

because if one son suddenly wants to listen to the father’s system after all these years, it only means he is interested in currying favor for the inheritance over the second son.

Ken for all his obsession seems realistic to have realised that.

Be careful of all your family members who suddenly tell you hey can we listen to your system? Or worse, “It sounds real nice”

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: jbrrp1 and Lagonda

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I can think of a lot worse things for a Dad to do for a son to call him a MF that needs to die slowly though.

wil

Jul 22, 2015
because if one son suddenly wants to listen to the father’s system after all these years, it only means he is interested in currying favor for the inheritance over the second son.

Be careful of all your family members who suddenly tell you hey can we listen to your system? Or worse, “It sounds real nice”
That’s an interesting Interpretation to say the least! What did they end up getting for those speakers, $19 K?

I can appreciate Fritz’s obsession and skill in building his system, but the whole thing feels like a horror show. And to me, that room he created looks like a faux antique nightmare. A lonely man listening to Swan Lake. I wouldn’t want spend a minute in there.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
That’s an interesting Interpretation to say the least! What did they end up getting for those speakers, $19 K?

I can appreciate Fritz’s obsession and skill in building his system, but the whole thing feels like a horror show. And to me, that room he created looks like a faux antique nightmare. A lonely man listening to Swan Lake. I wouldn’t want spend a minute in there.

that was a joke, and i I don’t think they were interested in the system. They thought he would sign off the estate to the son who hears more venue information

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012

Hilarious level of paranoia Ked.

My system automatically self destructs if I don’t enter a code every 24 hours, I got the idea from the show Lost.

Republicoftexas69

OCD in an audiophile? I can't relate to that at all. ;)
Then get some help, admitting you have a problem is the first step. :rolleyes:

Reactions: marty and John T

zermatt

Oct 5, 2010
wash dc
This story reminds me of local audiophile who has a 1-2 million system. He invites you over, you knock on the door, he opens the door and the first statement is: “ARE YOU WORTHY TO VISIT & LISTEN”. I always responded with a “not in the least”. I dropped out of that social circle!

Reactions: Republicoftexas69

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com

Tom

Not including your spouse/family/SO or wanting to learn more about their passions are missed opportunity in life. I really feel for the folks that live separate lives. Time can not be purchased with any amount of $$. I've been spoiled (and blessed) with a spouse that purchased and actually loves her Red Magnepans!

• Love
Reactions: MarkusBarkus

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Not including your spouse/family/SO or wanting to learn more about their passions are missed opportunity in life. I really feel for the folks that live separate lives. Time can not be purchased with any amount of $$. I've been spoiled (and blessed) with a spouse that purchased and actually loves her Red Magnepans!
I didn't know Louboutin made speakers. (Ask your wife- she will understand!)

Screen Shot 2024-01-16 at 2.24.05 PM.png

• Haha
Reactions: marslo and Bruce B

jbrrp1

Aug 3, 2020
This story reminds me of local audiophile who has a 1-2 million system. He invites you over, you knock on the door, he opens the door and the first statement is: “ARE YOU WORTHY TO VISIT & LISTEN”. I always responded with a “not in the least”. I dropped out of that social circle!
True story? That's a pretty weird greeting on a lot of levels.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
my kids were out of the house when I started down the audiophile system building path. my whole extended family can take or leave my hobby as they want to, it's never any family focus thing. my son helps only with the computer network stuff from time to time. my daughter does give me birthday cards with a hifi theme occasionally. they know I love it and support my passion.

my son did help me for one day sealing up a bass trap in my ceiling. we had fun. then I gave him one of my nice bikes.

on Thursday I have my 50th Wedding Anniversary. and my wife seems ok with me these 7 months retired. we are having fun just hanging out.

my kids know I would prefer grandkid focus to hifi focus, but they have not done their part on that score. not a damn thing I can do about it.

the biggest issue my kids have is they are worried my wife and I will croak and leave cleaning up the big house and barn full of crap to them, and are always on us to downsize. first world issues for sure.

a big system can work for a family if it makes you happy and you don't take it or yourself too seriously.

Last edited:

jbrrp1

Aug 3, 2020
my kids were out of the house when I started down the audiophile system building path. my whole extended family can take or leave my hobby as they want to, it's never any family focus thing. my son helps only with the computer network stuff from time to time. my daughter does give me birthday cards with a hifi theme occasionally. they know I love it and support my passion.

on Thursday I have my 50th Wedding Anniversary. and my wife seems ok with me these 7 months retired. we are having fun just hanging out.

my kids know I would prefer grandkid focus to hifi focus, but they have not done their part on that score. not a damn thing I can do about it.

the biggest issue my kids have is they are worried my wife and I will croak and leave cleaning up the big house and barn full of crap to them, and are always on us to downsize. first world issues for sure.

a big system can work if it makes you happy and you don't take it or yourself too seriously.
We all need pledges with some of us others to help in the "clean up", come that day, which would make it much easier for the family to deal with, I believe. I just worry that I'll outlive my audio buddy community... Gotta make younger connections!

Reactions: MarkusBarkus

tflynn

Nov 16, 2017
The points are well taken that we all can get carried away with this hobby at times. However, it’s worth mentioning that ALS can have some psychiatric aspects. And maybe he had some OCD to begin with.

Enjoy the music, but enjoy your human relationships !

Reactions: Al M.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England

my son did help me for one day sealing up a bass trap in my ceiling. we had fun. then I gave him one of my nice bikes.

a big system can work for a family if it makes you happy and you don't take it or yourself too seriously.
Haha Mike, my wife is prone to panic attacks thinking what to do with my gear and LPs etc when I croak. I tell her to relax, I'm gonna live forever.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Biggest issue my kids have is they are worried my wife and I will croak and leave cleaning up the big house and barn full of crap to them, and are always on us to downsize. first world issues for sure.
Mike,

I have recently had some significant health issues and have decided to sell my house, audio system, etc. to save my family from the burden you describe above. Downsizing big time and moving to a much smaller space somewhere in Colorado to a facility licensed in independant living and assisted living. And also much closer to medical facilities.

Much easier on me and most importantly, given the fact that I live alone that is nowhere close to the rest of my family, much easier for them. And I have control of all the various relocation issues. Time to start the next phase of my life.

Last edited:

Republicoftexas69

By no means do I have a system of this stature, however my kids get my gear and they have it all worked out.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing