Genesis 1.1 VS Wilson X2 Alexandria

The Scintillas had one ohm and four ohm versions. The one ohm version was the amp eater, but apparently sounds the best. Have heard them twice, nice.

It seems that nobody can get past the Scintillas, because all the many other Apogees may have been inefficient, or less efficient, but generally had more benign impedances. The one ohm Scintilla single handedly tarred the entire range as hard to drive speakers.

The Scintillas had one ohm and four ohm versions. The one ohm version was the amp eater, but apparently sounds the best. Have heard them twice, nice.

It seems that nobody can get past the Scintillas, because all the many other Apogees may have been inefficient, or less efficient, but generally had more benign impedances. The one ohm Scintilla single handedly tarred the entire range as hard to drive speakers.

My full-range original big Apogees were moderate/difficult loads, but not like the 1ohm Scintillas. There was a passive crossover between the mid & treble ribbons that resulted in a 4 ohm load there. For those that drove all the ribbons directly via active tri-amp configuration, the midrange ribbon supposedly was a 0.1 ohm load and required Krell or similar amplification.

Lee

I lost a pair of Stages in a divorce..... I was more upset over losing them than her!! :p

Last edited:
One of the pairs of speakers I wish I never sold was the Apogee Diva. Nothing I could afford could drive them properly without strain. I've never heard the Grands, but by the time I could afford loudspeakers of this calibre, Apogee had long gone out of business.

In general, how hard these things to service? Both knowledge/labor-wise, but also replacement parts? Ribbons, etc.? Speaker cones are more widely understood and replacement parts generally available. But these more esoteric speakers which are already very old...more tricky/risky for long-term care/maintenance?

Two of my friends are using Krell's KRS-100s in their systems one with Apogee Scintilla's the other with Acoustat Spectra 4400s & 6600S the Acoustats are a much easier load than the Apogee,s because with Acoustats the more panels you have to drive the easier they are.:)

Pierre 17.jpg

Pierre 03.jpg

Pierre 13.jpg

Last edited:
Talking about statement speakers , there is a Marten Supreme 2 in the works , CES launch most probably . Trimmed down from the four piece original Supreme to a more conventional 2 speaker config . Measuring 540x2080x590 mm . Different kind of material for the drivers
like aluminum sandwich, ceramics and diamonds, all specially made, for this project, from Accuton. 1st order x-over . Just a heads up in case any of you guys are shopping for a 300k Euro speaker :D

Talking about statement speakers , there is a Marten Supreme 2 in the works , CES launch most probably . Trimmed down from the four piece original Supreme to a more conventional 2 speaker config . Measuring 540x2080x590 mm . Different kind of material for the drivers
like aluminum sandwich, ceramics and diamonds, all specially made, for this project, from Accuton. 1st order x-over . Just a heads up in case any of you guys are shopping for a 300k Euro speaker :D

;) good to know! There is the Tidal Assoulata, Avalon Tessaract which are both in this price bracket coming out...along with Genesis Dragon, Magico Horn Ultimate and probably a few others i've missed. Fun to watch!

In general, how hard these things to service? Both knowledge/labor-wise, but also replacement parts? Ribbons, etc.? Speaker cones are more widely understood and replacement parts generally available. But these more esoteric speakers which are already very old...more tricky/risky for long-term care/maintenance?

IMHO it will have to be a labour of love to keep them going......

Well the problem is that Jason and colleagues left zero, zip, nada engineering documentation. WTF?

At least Acoustat left us with three very important solutions - - - Andy Szabo - - - Mike Savuto - - - and finaly almost indestructible panels - - - THANK YOU ACOUSTAT still going strong after 29 years ( same panels )

http://www.musictechnology.com/

Bill Thalmann works on them. He's one of the world's best techs, if not the best.

Thank you. I am spending time finding out more about the big Genesis, Gryphon (Pendragon) and Rockport speakers. Also curious about Apogee thought defunct company always a concern so this is helpful.

The Apogee speaker name is now owned by Graz in Australia, who manufacturers new custom panels and has repair/remanufacture in the USA in the East Coast and West Coast. Graz also has his own speaker line based on the old Apogee, but much more efficient.

The Apogee speaker name is now owned by Graz in Australia, who manufacturers new custom panels and has repair/remanufacture in the USA in the East Coast and West Coast. Graz also has his own speaker line based on the old Apogee, but much more efficient.

Interesting...has anyone heard about how good the new panels are?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing