Fuse and Cable Directionality

Status
Not open for further replies.
From SR website,

“How fuses alter the sound of your system. For over one hundred years people believed electrons flowed like water through a pipe and that once ‘contaminated’ by miles of wire, there was little or nothing that could be done to ‘clean’ the electricity feeding your components. Consider this: the electricity feeding your system’s components first propagates through a single fuse. This is why significant gains in sound quality are possible when you insert an SR Black or Blue Fuses into each of your components.

Today physicists understand electrons don’t flow at all but rather propagate in a wave of energy that moves along a conductor with a multitude of factors that alters this wave at the quantum level. To understand how electricity travels without electrons ever leaving their respective atoms it is helpful to consider the spectator ‘wave’ at a football match. Even though you can clearly see a wave pattern moving from spectator to spectator as fans raise and then lower their hands (without hands jumping from one person to the next), so too does electricity ‘move’ without electrons ever leaving their atoms. At Synergistic Research we’ve isolated key factors that affect how electricity propagates by changing the behavior of electrons through Inductive Quantum Coupling methods we collectively call UEF Tech. In fact, UEF Tech is so powerful even an electrical chain several miles long is fundimentally improved with nothing more than a single fuse engineered with our patented UEF Technology.”

Note to self: Sometimes it’s better not to try to explain things.
… to which 99% of audiofiles will say “bollocks” and the other 1% will say “my life will not be complete without a handful of those”, place an order and Mr SR can put down the deposit on his next Ferrari.

That’s one of the things I like about this hobby, people write this stuff and I get a laugh out of it. Or I could just turn on the TV and watch Larry David. I imagine myself as a microbe that can penetrate into some of these wordsmiths’ brains and see the cogs ticking over as they generate this meaningless clap trap as a means of extracting money from the naive and endlessly hopeful. You see it here, someone buys a cable or something and an interested party follows up with an avalanche of adjectives.

A lot of this wordsmithery originates from the need to sell online, either because that’s the way the world works now, or because their product is unattractive to retail distributors and dealers. As someone who buys from dealers, I don’t have to put up with this literary vomit, because in my experience dealers don’t indulge in it. They just arrange for customers to listen to equipment and make up their own minds.

… to which 99% of audiofiles will say “bollocks” and the other 1% will say “my life will not be complete without a handful of those”, place an order and Mr SR can put down the deposit on his next Ferrari.

That’s one of the things I like about this hobby, people write this stuff and I get a laugh out of it. Or I could just turn on the TV and watch Larry David. I imagine myself as a microbe that can penetrate into some of these wordsmiths’ brains and see the cogs ticking over as they generate this meaningless clap trap as a means of extracting money from the naive and endlessly hopeful. You see it here, someone buys a cable or something and an interested party follows up with an avalanche of adjectives.

A lot of this wordsmithery originates from the need to sell online, either because that’s the way the world works now, or because their product is unattractive to retail distributors and dealers. As someone who buys from dealers, I don’t have to put up with this literary vomit, because in my experience dealers don’t indulge in it. They just arrange for customers to listen to equipment and make up their own minds.
I am not a fuser, but envy is a deadly sin.

Reactions: ssfas
Send me your fuses, I’ll test them and tell you which direction they should be used. I’ll only charge $100 each, as an introductory offer $75 each 30 day money back guarantee. I use the highest quality permanent marker to draw my arrows. The quantum ink is impregnated with graphene.

Subsets don't count. Your primary argument is about the validity of fuses re sound in general. This topic was recently designated by the Super Moderators to discuss directionality only. General discussion of fuses goes elsewhere. You can verify that by messaging the Super Moderator treitz3.
As I pointed out at the beginning of this thread “wire directionality” applies to fuses and cables. That’s because metal conductors in cables are directional, too. But here’s the Elephant in the room: For the sake of argument, let’s say all wire is directional. Then it follows that all wire in capacitors, transformers, inductors, internal amplifier wiring, internal speaker wiring, in power cords - it’s all directional.

Last edited:
Reactions: SeagoatLeo
highstream said:
You're off topic. This thread is about cable and fuse directionality only.

Correct. Gentlemen, as requested before, let's stick to the thread topic.

Tom

I have done some recording and mastering work, and worked with some experts, but I and they have still heard things that later turned out to be purely our perceived bias. Human senses are pretty fallible, alas.
Curious. How did you all hear one thing, only to 'prove' what you thought you heard was perceived bias? I mean, what was the hard proof that told you it was just bias?

Assuming fuses with arrows... Which orientation are IEC fuses supposed to go in? I assume arrow points inward when they're parallel to the power inlet. But what about when fuses are perpendicular? Do you guys listen and reorient until you hear which way sounds best?

As I pointed out at the beginning of this thread “wire directionality” applies to fuses and cables. That’s because metal conductors in cables are directional, too. But here’s the Elephant in the room: For the sake of argument, let’s say all wire is directional. Then it follows that all wire in capacitors, transformers, inductors, internal amplifier wiring, internal speaker wiring, in power cords - it’s all directional.
So I will ask again:

Just think a minute all the leaded parts could have "reversed" leads They are precut to length and binned prior to wiring/manufacturing.

Then you have inductors that can be wound reversed, Then when you install there is no polarity so "right" can be reversed at install.

Let's do a coin toss say 50% are right.

Then you reverse one cord, wire or fuse leaving everything else as is and poof it's fixed!

If your theory is correct how can just changing one while leaving the others alone work?

Makes no sense at all

Rob :)

Reactions: Analog Scott
It's not envy. It's well placed skepticism. I am no more envious of people buying and using expensive fuses that make no difference in the audio signal than I am envious of people spending the same amount of money on psychic readings. If they enjoy it good for them. I get nothing from either.

I don't have a limitless budget. As such I focus on things that do make a real difference. That's me. Everyone else is free to make their own choices.

But I do advocate *informed* choices. Objective facts on the effects or lack of effects of fuses or fuse direction is *information.* If those facts offend some folks such is life. Spreading factual information for those interested in it is worth the price of a few bruised egos.

Curious. How did you all hear one thing, only to 'prove' what you thought you heard was perceived bias? I mean, what was the hard proof that told you it was just bias?
The classic example is the ghost fader. Industry pros will often make adjustments and think they are hearing a difference only to discover the actual control of that adjustment was not engaged.

Reactions: audiom3
It's not envy. It's well placed skepticism. I am no more envious of people buying and using expensive fuses that make no difference in the audio signal than I am envious of people spending the same amount of money on psychic readings. If they enjoy it good for them. I get nothing from either.

I don't have a limitless budget. As such I focus on things that do make a real difference. That's me. Everyone else is free to make their own choices.

But I do advocate *informed* choices. Objective facts on the effects or lack of effects of fuses or fuse direction is *information.* If those facts offend some folks such is life. Spreading factual information for those interested in it is worth the price of a few bruised egos.
Like I said Scott not a fuser and yes we are free to make our own decisions, and to be free of being ostracized by those chose not to participate for whatever reasons. ASR is full of those.

• Love
Like I said Scott not a fuser and yes we are free to make our own decisions, and to be free of being ostracized by those chose not to participate for whatever reasons. ASR is full of those.
But it was arrogance thinking I pointed that post at you!

Send me your fuses, I’ll test them and tell you which direction they should be used. I’ll only charge $100 each, as an introductory offer $75 each 30 day money back guarantee. I use the highest quality permanent marker to draw my arrows. The quantum ink is impregnated with graphene.
Why would I send you my fuses when my system has no fuses in it. :oops: bit slow on the uptake eh. Would not pay you a dime, a quid or a squid.

For sure. ASR has members that are toxic fanboy gatekeepers that are anything but scientific in their beliefs and are quick to ostracize people with opposing points of view. I take issue with those folks as well. They have nothing of value to offer other audiophiles.

But in either forum presenting verifiable facts and questioning extraordinary and unsupported claims of fact is not ostracization. Someone tagged me as trying to convince SeagoatLeo that "he is wrong." I'm not trying to convince him of anything. What I have done is called out his misrepresentation of the scientific evidence that relates to the subject of audibility of fuses and fuse direction and his misrepresentation of how science actually addresses claims of audibility. I have presented an accurate account of how science actually does deal with these things.

IMO discussion and even debate of these issues on audiophile forums can be enlightening. But misrepresentations of opposing arguments need to be called out for such debates to be informative. I think there is a substantial anti-scientific bias among many, maybe most audiophiles that is largely predicated on misunderstandings of the science and even worse blatant misrepresentations of the science of human aural perception.

No audiophile consumer benefits from that.

Reactions: wil
A combination of DBT and ABX testing. This was some 40 years ago but was one of the defining moments for me in audio, when I realized how much perception and things like mood when listening and such affected the results. I went from hearing every atom in the cables to what I feel is a more balanced approach to audio, and became much less trusting of my ears without multiple trials and at least some controlled listening. Too often I heard something that I thought I'd never heard before, only to go back to the old (whatever) and find it was there all along, I was just not hearing it. Testing served to focus my attention and verify the comparisons I thought I heard. Sometimes they remained, sometimes not, and I was much more confident in my ability to her differences after a few years of such trials.

But it was arrogance thinking I pointed that post at you!
I didn't think you pointed it at me personally. The first part of my response "It's not envy. It's well placed skepticism." was not meant as a personalized response but a general one. The rest of my response which was personalized was only personalized because it was my personal perspective.

I didn't think you pointed it at me personally. The first part of my response "It's not envy. It's well placed skepticism." was not meant as a personalized response but a general one. The rest of my response which was personalized was only personalized because it was my personal perspective.
Goodnight Scott.

• Love
I have decided to do a project where I counter rotate each strand of copper in my cables to see if I get the better sound. Using the the theories of counter rotating props on AC. :rolleyes:o_Oo_O:rolleyes:

1714922022430.png

• Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing