USB cable shootout: 8 cables tested

Olesno

Jan 23, 2024
Freehold, NJ
I've been using the FTA Calisto between my Lumin U1 and the Lampizator Golden Atlantic TRP without the 5V power. Considering you also have the Lampizator DAC, did all the cables you tested have the power disconnected?

Anyoldears

May 31, 2023
I've been using the FTA Calisto between my Lumin U1 and the Lampizator Golden Atlantic TRP without the 5V power. Did all the cables you tested have the power disconnected?
Only the Emerald

Olesno

Jan 23, 2024
Freehold, NJ
Only the Emerald
I don't remember anymore but doesn't Lampizator require non-powered USB cable, or does it simply sound better with 5V disconnected?

Anyoldears

May 31, 2023
I don't remember anymore but doesn't Lampizator require non-powered USB cable, or does it simply sound better with 5V disconnected?
Dunno about Lampi, but I didnt do a test with the same cable both with and without the 5v. My guess is it would depend on the DAC. Some dont work without the 5v

Geoffkait

Feb 2, 2024
Falls Church, Va
How long would it take to test 8 cables properly and reliably? My guess is a very long time, probably at least many months. All cables would have to be broken in first, no? Also, when a cable is unplugged the replacement cable would ideally have to undergo some readjustment period to account for having broken the delicate electrical/mechanical interface at the connectors. So, give the cables a week to readjust. That’s 2 months right there if you are testing 8 cables.

Then add another 8 months to allow for break in of all 8 cables. Yes, I know what you’re thinking, “But you can get an idea what they sound like right out of the box.“

Next add the time required to test for cable directionality.

Last edited:

Anyoldears

May 31, 2023
How long would it take to test 8 cables properly and reliably? My guess is a very long time, probably at least many months. All cables would have to be broken in first, no? Also, when a cable is unplugged the replacement cable would ideally have to undergo some readjustment period to account for having broken the delicate electrical/mechanical interface at the connectors. So, give the cables a week to readjust. That’s 2 months right there if you are testing 8 cables.

Then add another 8 months to allow for break in of all 8 cables. Yes, I know what you’re thinking, “But you can get an idea what they sound like right out of the box.“

Next add the time required to test for cable directionality.
Yep it was just over 2 months. Some were demo cables and so had been broken in when I got them. Directionality not a thing as they have different plugs at each end so they only go one way. I had a second system so when I was listening to one, I was breaking in cables on another

Geoffkait

Feb 2, 2024
Falls Church, Va
Yep it was just over 2 months. Some were demo cables and so had been broken in when I got them. Directionality not a thing as they have different plugs at each end so they only go one way. I had a second system so when I was listening to one, I was breaking in cables on another

If cables are controlled for directionality during manufacture, before the plugs (or shield) are attached, the cables will always be in the right direction. Otherwise the odds are 50-50.

FT251

Jan 22, 2022
How does the A Q diamond stack up to some of these? Or is it at least a reasonably good cable?

Anyoldears

May 31, 2023
How does the A Q diamond stack up to some of these? Or is it at least a reasonably good cable?
Not heard one, so cant comment

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing