FIFA World Cup 2010 South Africa

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
My favourite sport is once again having it's world showcase take place in only a few more weeks. All of the teams in the latest TOP 10 FIFA rankings are represented, with the exception of Croatia.

Here is the TOP 10 FIFA Ranking

Here are the Group Stages.

It is, of course, impossible to predict the eventual winner of this most prestigious tournament, but several candidates have been brought to the forefront by the press and fans. In no particular order, these are the teams most often mentioned: Spain, Brazil, England, Germany, Argentina, Italy and to a lesser degree Portugal.

With the exception of Portugal, all the teams mentioned above have at least one WC title to their credit. Yet, there are other contenders, none the least of which may be some of the South African teams like Camaroon and Cote d'Ivoire.

The best team to have never won a WC title, and appeared in 2 Finals ('74 and '78) is The Netherlands with a current 4th place ranking on the FIFA table.

If you're a fan of the sport, what team would you like to win and what team do you think will win? I'll lay my wishes on the line and hope for THE NETHERLANDS and will predict THE NETHERLANDS (third time lucky).

John

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
John

My heart goes to the Netherlands, they have been unlucky ( 1974) , robbed ( Argentina?) .. but I am a Brazil fan.. Every World cup they are a contender, this year will not be different. They remain the team to beat and of course Germany.. A team with no player you can name with any reliability and yet once they are int eh world cup they will quietly advance, at least to the quarter finals ...

Brazil.. likely

Frantz

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
John

My heart goes to the Netherlands, they have been unlucky ( 1974) , robbed ( Argentina?) .. but I am a Brazil fan.. Every World cup they are a contender, this year will not be different. They remain the team to beat and of course Germany.. A team with no player you can name with any reliability and yet once they are int eh world cup they will quietly advance, at least to the quarter finals ...

Brazil.. likely

Frantz

Brazil is obviously a front-runner with Spain right now. I've always been a fan of the Brazilian style of football and the S.A. heat should play to their advantage as well. In terms of pure talent, I like Spain, but I also love the underdog and would love for a non-repeat winner to take the trophy.

And you hit the nail on the head with Germany...they're quiet and get the job done, almost without anyone noticing. Now that Ballack is out your post is even more accurate.

John

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
where is the great Pele these days. Was there some drug scandal with him a few years ago

You're thinking of Diego Maradona (coach/manager of the Argentinian National team now). That man had more problems with the white powder up his nose than the corner street junkie. He's revered in Argentina despite his drug problems, public antics, outrageous opinions and his belief that he was better than Pele.

John

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
thanks for correcting me but I do remember that. So where are both of them

Like I said...Diego Maradona is the Coach/manager of the Argentinian national football club that will appear next month in S.A. I'm not entirely sure what Pele is up to as of today, but he's written several books and does a lot of work with teams/ organizations to promote football and friendship, team spirit and leadership qualities. I personally have great respect for the man.

John

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Pele Is basking in his glory in Brazil. is an Ambassador for Unicef, the CEO of his company and making his 30 or more millions dollars /year. Stable , likable guy, looking as if he still can play. Maradona is , I believe the coach of the Argentinian national team, because of him this team will go nowhere, he is a bad coach that only seem to make outrageous or controversial decisions .Argentina will win some games because of the high level of talent but will succomb to better coached teams ... It is in a dangerous pool with teams that have nothing to lose , Nigeria,always dangerous and Korea who would be so happy to beat the fabled Argentinians .., they will probably walk all over Greece though ...

Frantz

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Pele Is basking in his glory in Brazil. is an Ambassador for Unicef, the CEO of his company and making his 30 or more millions dollars /year. Stable , likable guy, looking as if he still can play. Maradona is , I believe the coach of the Argentinian national team, because of him this team will go nowhere, he is a bad coach that only seem to make outrageous or controversial decisions .Argentina will win some games because of the high level of talent but will succomb to better coached teams ... It is in a dangerous pool with teams that have nothing to lose , Nigeria,always dangerous and Korea who would be so happy to beat the fabled Argentinians .., they will probably walk all over Greece though ...

Frantz

And rightfully so! I think he's been one of the best ambassadors for the sport (like Franz Beckenbauer) to grace the game. The man is all class!

Regarding Diego Maradona...he's a disgrace to the sport. One of the best footballers to ever lace up a pair of cleats (along with Georgie Best), but his antics have left a sour taste in my mouth.

John

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Here are the odds that Vegas listed:

1. Spain - 4:1
2. Brazil - 5:1
3. England - 7:1
4. Argentina - 7.5:1
5. Netherlands - 11:1

John

Brazil is obviously a front-runner with Spain right now. I've always been a fan of the Brazilian style of football and the S.A. heat should play to their advantage as well. In terms of pure talent, I like Spain, but I also love the underdog and would love for a non-repeat winner to take the trophy.

And you hit the nail on the head with Germany...they're quiet and get the job done, almost without anyone noticing. Now that Ballack is out your post is even more accurate.

John

No heat here today, snow bound over 30% of the country, which causes the other 70% to freeze...

I like the look of the Germans, but it's too early to judge the form of everyone as not enough games have played yet.

brianherlihy

Apr 21, 2010
New York
No heat here today, snow bound over 30% of the country, which causes the other 70% to freeze...

I like the look of the Germans, but it's too early to judge the form of everyone as not enough games have played yet.

Aurthur, i am in South Africa for the World Cup. i work in Africa and have a house in South Africa (although NYC is home). i agree that Germany looked amazing the other night. a bunch of kids out classing every other team on how soccer should be played. it is early, it will be exciting to see how Brazil play tonight. more than the soccer has been the impact on South Africa and Africa in general. the atmosphere has been amazing and the pride on the Continent has been infectious. i went to the opening match and will go to a few more along the way, including US on Thursday.

Hi Brian

Welcome to South Africa. It is my home country and I am proud of it although I too live globally. Heh, my wife is a Kenyan and I am heading there within a few weeks for an extended period. All my family in Kenya are probably more excited about the World Cup than me, but maybe I just don't project as openly as they do... anyhow, I watch on TV as that is my habit from all the other world cups too - the view is better, but as we know, one has to be there for the atmospherically emotional vibe. Enjoy and keep warm!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
It'll be interesting to see what Spain does tomorrow. So far, only Germany have shown what they are capable of, but ...it's too early yet. I suspect the next series of games will spell out quite a different story.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I can understand being upset, peeved, ticked off, disappointed, angry, embarrassed even, but to leave the pitch like the Spanish did without offering a hand of congratulations for a game well played to the opposition smacks of poor sportsmanship and arrogance.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Serbia 1-0 over Germany at the half. A RED card for Miraslov Close of Germany. No team has won a WC game when issued a red card. The second half should be very exciting. Now we'll see what Germany is made of.

John

rugyboogie

May 30, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Today the Germans showed England what they are made of. 4-1 and it could have been more.....
England's defense, lack of speed in their midfielders showed today.
England had their stars playing, Germany showed up to play as a team.
Bitter sweet with the goal that wasn't allowed.
When I was growing up in Berlin, in 66 when Germany played England for the World Cup a goal was allowed to England that wasn't a goal.
England won the World Cup defeating Germany 4-2.

Argentina is next. Their defense is also weak but they know how to get the ball into the net.
Should be a great game next Saturday.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing