Euro Cup 2012 - Poland/Ukraine

Who Will Win Euro Cup 2012

• Total voters

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
We're just over 4 weeks away from the start of another Euro Cup campaign, which (like the World Cup) is held every 4 years. It is said that winning this tournament is more difficult than winning the World Cup, and while this may be true, it simply doesn't have the prestige of winning a WC title. Nevertheless, it is usually much more exciting and I personally believe the games are of a higher quality.

I know we have many members here who are fans of the game and this tournament, so I thought I'd start a thread whereby we could just kinda get together and chat amongst ourselves about the events, hopes and expectations.

The groups are as follows and I've included their current FIFA ranking:

Group A:
Poland - 65
Greece - 14
Russia - 11
Czech Republic - 26

Group B:
Netherlands - 4
Denmark - 9
Germany - 2
Portugal - 5

Group C:
Spain - 1
Italy - 12
Republic of Ireland - 18
Croatia - 8

Group D:
Ukraine - 49
Sweden - 17
France - 16
England - 7

Only 2 teams in each group will advance to the Quarter-Finals and then it's do or die after that.

Who do you think will win it this year?
Who do you want to win it this year?

Let's have some fun and enjoy the games!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I never even thought of that, but that's a good idea. Is it possible for one of you guys to set one up, even after the thread has been posted?

And Steve - I like The Netherlands as well and will be rooting for them. My gut tells me that Germany will take it, as I think they may be the best team in Europe right now.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Thanks for putting up the poll.

I voted The Netherlands...I had to, even though I think Germany will take it. I cannot vote against my favourite team.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Anyone but England will do fine. :) I think that it will be Spain.

Interesting comment....reason? Quite frankly, I have always been somewhat perplexed as to why England ranks as high as they do, and why they continually rank to be amongst the favourites.

Mike

VIP/Donor
Jan 28, 2012
Madison, New Jersey
I am from Scotland. Anytime England play, we are constantly reminded by English commentators of their '66 World Cup triumph. It gets annoying. I think that they should do better thanthey have, given that they have had some good players.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Good choice steve;) , we have something to make up for , still the same trainer and more or less the same team as south africa .
If we beat the germans the tournament is succesfull :D
I like the number 4 team John

If it's the same team we saw in the WC I'll go with them rather than Spain

John, you should start a poll

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I am from Scotland. Anytime England play, we are constantly reminded by English commentators of their '66 World Cup triumph. It gets annoying. I think that they should do better thanthey have, given that they have had some good players.

Same in Canada Mike!No matter what the tournament, England always seems to get the focus, yet their play at this level has been substandard at best. The team is old, the management is in disarray and half the time I'm surprised they even get through. I'm a huge fan of the EPL though....best league on the planet.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Good choice steve;) , we have something to make up for , still the same trainer and more or less the same team as south africa .
If we beat the germans the tournament is succesfull :D

Don't forget...we've NEVER beaten Portugal either in this tournament....

Mike

VIP/Donor
Jan 28, 2012
Madison, New Jersey
Same in Canada Mike!No matter what the tournament, England always seems to get the focus, yet their play at this level has been substandard at best. The team is old, the management is in disarray and half the time I'm surprised they even get through. I'm a huge fan of the EPL though....best league on the planet.

I think that La Liga might give it a good run for its money, John.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Less than a week to go before Friday's opening match between Poland and Greece (11am Eastern).

Saturday will be the day whereby I can break-out my supporter gear and watch both games in Group B. I have my cap, my scarf, my car flag, my super-duper large flag that I'll drape over my couch and on Friday I'll be picking up the new Dutch away-game Jersey. All black with a touch of "Oranje"...it's killer! LOL

holland-euro-2012&.jpg

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Well....Day One certainly brought a suprise, and it wasn't the stunning result that Russia claimed over the Czech Republic. Mark my words....Russia is the Cindarella team in this tourney and they'll go far.

The surprise was Greece squandering 3-points by missing a Penalty kick. Giorgos Karagounis' attempt to lift Greece by a goal was lame at best. Opportunity wasted and the end result was a a draw.

Actually there was another suprise. By issueing 2 Red Cards the officials are making it clear they control the game and will do so. If i were a coach I'd tell my players to double-up on controlling their emotions as a message was just sent.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing