DSD 256fs and beyond.....

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
For anyone interested, I'll be playing DSD256fs tape transfers at RMAF in room 8000, JPS Labs. You'll be able to hear finer details with the Abyss Headphones.

I believe this may be the first show where native DSD256fs files are played!

Where's Dave? I'm sure he has an opinion whether we want to hear it or not.

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Bruce,

Imagine the following two chains:

mic --> mic preamp --> DSD A/D converter
DSD D/A converter --> stereo preamp --> amp(s) --> loudspeakers

There is NO editing...just a pure recording with zero processing, e.g., compression, reverb, EQ, etc.
Would DSD256 confer any sonic advantage?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Bruce,

Imagine the following two chains:

mic --> mic preamp --> DSD A/D converter
DSD D/A converter --> stereo preamp --> amp(s) --> loudspeakers

There is NO editing...just a pure recording with zero processing, e.g., compression, reverb, EQ, etc.
Would DSD256 confer any sonic advantage?

Highly doubt it!

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Have you tried a straight DSD128 and 256 mic recording in your studio, perhaps with your piano?
Do you still have those DPA mics? I can't remember if you owned them or had some experience with them.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Have you tried a straight DSD128 and 256 mic recording in your studio, perhaps with your piano?
Do you still have those DPA mics? I can't remember if you owned them or had some experience with them.

Yes, I have the dpa piano mics and have done direct comparisons with DSD128fs and DSD256fs... Can't hear a difference! ;)

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Thanks for sharing your observations.
Best of luck with RMAF!

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Thanks for sharing your observations.
Best of luck with RMAF!

I will have to make one caveat here.... DSD256fs done on the Horus DOES sound better than the Korg or Tascam at DSD128fs. DSD256fs and DSD128fs done on the Horus sounds the same!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I will have to make one caveat here.... DSD256fs done on the Horus DOES sound better than the Korg or Tascam at DSD128fs. DSD256fs and DSD128fs done on the Horus sounds the same!

Bruce,
So we must conclude that DSD128fs done on the Horus sounds better than the Korg or Tascam at DSD128fs. :) Are you using standard or modified units?

BTW, how does DSD64fs on the Horus compare with the Korg or Tascam at DSD128fs?

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Bruce,
So we must conclude that DSD128fs done on the Horus sounds better than the Korg or Tascam at DSD128fs. :) Are you using standard or modified units?

BTW, how does DSD64fs on the Horus compare with the Korg or Tascam at DSD128fs?

To my ears, the Horus at DSD128fs sounds better than the Tascam and Korg at DSD128fs. The Korg is modified and the Tascam has about 2 weeks burn-in.

I still prefer the Horus at any sample rate over the Korg/Tascam.

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
For anyone interested, I'll be playing DSD256fs tape transfers at RMAF in room 8000, JPS Labs. You'll be able to hear finer details with the Abyss Headphones.

I believe this may be the first show where native DSD256fs files are played!

Appreciate you putting that together at RMAF. I dropped by Room 8000 and did spend some time listening to the DSD256 tapes via the Horus and the Abyss Headphones.
The music was very detailed, clear and quiet. Impressive results with the Horus.

As to the Abyss Headphones, very nice headphones. But the design hit me as a bit medieval in appearance !

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing