Denied Access by WBF

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I just discovered that I can not access myself when logged out. I can access all other current members. I have mentioned this to another member, and he too can not access me when he is logged out, but he too can access all other members including himself. If either of us goes to the Member Section and types in "PeterA" , we get a message that reads "You must log in to do that". Same when either of us clicks on my name in the credit score lists. It seems access to my information has been denied to viewers not logged in to WBF, but not to any other members of which I am aware. All other member names I have entered into the search member box come up without the need to log in.

What is going on here? Why is my member name inaccessible to those not logged in?

PeterA

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I can reproduce the issue that you are seeing and have reported it to our webmaster. It is strange that it involves only a few and not all. It must indeed be a bug (not you Peter :)}And for what it's worth Peter, please take a chill pill while our technicians figure this out.Your post is crying foul and there is none. Why don't you just stay logged in until we figure out what's going on. I find that if I am logged out and hover over your name I can read all the info but if I click on your name it says I must be logged in.Clearly a bug Peter, even though you intimate "why me"

We have submitted a ticket and will hopefully have an answer or a fix.

FWIW we have changed our method of registration recently to Two Step Validation as we have been overwhelmed by a spammer from Russia who has been registering many bogus members with phones email addresses that lead to gaming sites, gambling and worse. They all get rejected by our spam guard but going to two step Validation has virtually eliminated this. I mention this only because of the change we made to new member registration and why we did it but the tech doesn't seem to think that this is causing what you are seeing. So stay logged in and let us have our techs figure out what the issue is as it seems to be a xenforo bug

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Well Peter, after spending the past 4 hours of time with our webmaster techs, the issue was quickly discovered . Simply put it was NOT a bug but rather YOU who set your privacy buttons to receive messages from only members. One simple click of the button allowing all members solved your problem

Screenshot 2023-09-13 at 11.57.26 AM.png If you look above at "view this user's profile details", you had it set to "Members Only" I clicked on the drop down at the right of that box for you and changed it to "All Visitors". Bottom line it is not a bug but rather how YOU set your privacy settings. Hope that helps Peter

• Haha
Reactions: XV-1

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Well Peter, after spending the past 4 hours of time with our webmaster techs, the issue was quickly discovered . Simply put it was NOT a bug but rather YOU who set your privacy buttons to receive messages from only members. One simple click of the button allowing all members solved your problem

View attachment 116511 If you look above at "view this user's profile details", you had it set to "Members Only" I clicked on the drop down at the right of that box for you and changed it to "All Visitors". Bottom line it is not a bug but rather how YOU set your privacy settings. Hope that helps Peter

LOL

I guess the conspiracy theories against Peter are only in his mind :p

• Haha
Reactions: Johan K
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing