Count Basie

It always annoyed me that Princeton stuck price stickers on the covers, at least on the cheaper records that used to be in the stacks. (As I remember, the fancy records were kept behind the counter). My mono Starker Dvorak on Mercury has a Princeton sticker that can't be removed without damaging the cover. I guess it's a badge of honor because I think I paid $4.99 for the record.

There used to be liquid that you could use to remove the labels. I was just lazy.

Do you know David Nemzer? He was the one who turned me onto the stuff!

There used to be liquid that you could use to remove the labels. I was just lazy.

ronsonol works well ive been using it to remove price tags/stickers on 40+ year old records. the key is letting it soak through the sticker's paper to the backing. when the adhesive softens s-l-o-w-l-y pull it off. i use the a single sided razor and lift one corner first. a rag dampened with ronsonol will remove the residual glue. only the most stubborn mylar or cellophane type stckers will probably have to stay.

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 111
Try acetone(finger nail polish remover)

I do know David, though haven't talked to him in a long time. You mean like Goo-gone?

ronsonol works well ive been using it to remove price tags/stickers on 40+ year old records. the key is letting it soak through the sticker's paper to the backing. when the adhesive softens s-l-o-w-l-y pull it off. i use the a single sided razor and lift one corner first. a rag dampened with ronsonol will remove the residual glue. only the most stubborn mylar or cellophane type stckers will probably have to stay.
Glad i quit smoking. Thanks, Rob.

I do know David, though haven't talked to him in a long time. You mean like Goo-gone?

I don't remember what it was called :(

It always annoyed me that Princeton stuck price stickers on the covers, at least on the cheaper records that used to be in the stacks. (As I remember, the fancy records were kept behind the counter). My mono Starker Dvorak on Mercury has a Princeton sticker that can't be removed without damaging the cover. I guess it's a badge of honor because I think I paid $4.99 for the record.

I bought a Donald Byrd album at Princeton that was marked 1.99 on a Loony Tunes sticker.Princeton changed the 1 to a 9 so the $1.99 album became $9.99
I complained to the manager ,showed them what they had done but I still paid $9.99.Great album though.

Sorry to derail this thread by Princeton stickers talk, but is Princeton still a thriving source for vinyl? I used to go quite frequently, but it's been years. Most of my vinyl purchases have been via intraweb these few years....

Sorry to derail this thread by Princeton stickers talk, but is Princeton still a thriving source for vinyl? I used to go quite frequently, but it's been years. Most of my vinyl purchases have been via intraweb these few years....
Just a quick reply,my Donald Byrd purchase at Princeton was about 25 years ago.I haven't been there back since

Depends on the genre :)

Classical-no. (I was there a couple of months ago and the classical section consisted of four boxes :( Not even a shadow of what it used to be!)
Jazz-so-so.
Rock-better.
New alternative rock, etc. - probably the reason to go.

Interesting that PRE also doesn't seem to be putting stuff up on Ebay so either they're selling to some select customers or losing their interest in vinyl.

Would you guys mind recommending some of your favorite Pablo albums as far as performances go? It's one of the labels I'm least familiar with. I just picked up Duke's Big 4 and Dizzy's Big 4, both Analogue Productions 45 rpm LPs for a song. Looking forward to hearing them.

A few favorites:

Count Basie "Farmer's Market Barbecue"
Ray Bryant "Montreaux '77"
Benny Carter "Wonderland"
Buddy DeFranco "Mr. Lucky"
Duke Ellington "This One's For Blanton"
Oscar Peterson "And The Trumpet Kings"
Oscar Peterson & Freddie Hubbard "Face to Face"
Oscar Peterson + Harry Edison + Eddie 'Cleanhead' Vinson

A few favorites:

Count Basie "Farmer's Market Barbecue"
Ray Bryant "Montreaux '77"
Benny Carter "Wonderland"
Buddy DeFranco "Mr. Lucky"
Duke Ellington "This One's For Blanton"
Oscar Peterson "And The Trumpet Kings"
Oscar Peterson & Freddie Hubbard "Face to Face"
Oscar Peterson + Harry Edison + Eddie 'Cleanhead' Vinson

Thanks! I have the AP 45 rpm of "This One's For Blanton", it's my favorite Pablo I've heard so far.

Thanks! I have the AP 45 rpm of "This One's For Blanton", it's my favorite Pablo I've heard so far.

Deepak, I have the Blanton in a couple of versions including a 45 test pressing. It is very good musically- the bass and piano sound very good, although to me, the bass is so closely miked it almost sounds unreal. The 88 Basie Street record is really amazing, with all the instruments, but everything is very open, not congested, you can follow any instrument clearly.
All:
What other AP 45s of big band (or smaller group jazz band) are worth buying?

I just finished 88 Basie street 45 rpm analogue productions...sounds like tape...

That one has just been shipped to me on CD! ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing