Count Basie

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
My favorite genre of music is the big band jazz orchestra - it's got it all, the swing, explosive dynamics, massed brass, double bass. When it's fronted by an exponent like Count Basie, it is difficult for me not to stand up and groove.

Count Basie passed away in 1984, and one of his most popular albums among audiophiles (rightly) is 88 Basie Street recorded the year before he died. This won the Grammy award for Best Jazz Instrumental Performance, Big Band. Recorded at Ocean Way studios and engineered by the masterful Allen Sides, the sound quality is great as is the musical performance. There is a very contemporary feel to the album as Cleaveland Eaton plays all electric bass on this album.

However, I think that of Count Basie's final 3 albums, the better one (the one I prefer) is Me and You. Recorded just 3 months earlier than 88 Basie Street, Me and You is more explosively dynamic, has better bass, and a more swinging groove. Arranged by Ernie Wilkins, engineered by Dennis Sands, and recorded at Group IV Studios, it is over-shadowed by the award winning 88 Basie Street. IMHO, it is the better album both for music and sound.

Me&You.jpg

For both 88 Basie Street and Me and You, the CDs both remastered by Joe Tarantino in 1987 are good, but the original Pablo vinyl are SPECTACULAR! You need a really good cartridge to do justice to Side 1 Track 2 on Me and You.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I love Basie...finally won a 45 rpm of "88 Basie Street" (OOP Analogue Productions) recently. I also have the tape but is missing the last track or two. The bass drive and extension on the 15 ips tape is to die for.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Here are a trio other good Basie recordings:

"Chairman of the Board", Roulette, 1958
"Kansas City Suite, The Music of Benny Carter", Roulette, 1960
"Farmers Market Barbecue", Pablo, 1982

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
I love Basie...finally won a 45 rpm of "88 Basie Street" (OOP Analogue Productions) recently. I also have the tape but is missing the last track or two. The bass drive and extension on the 15 ips tape is to die for.

ahh...that was you :) I was sniped in the closing 3-4 mins. bidding way more than i thought it was worth at 165. imo, 88 basie street is his best album on Pablo, the others arent too shabby either.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I have played way more than I have listened... Suggestions for good Basie CDs?

88 Basie Street - JVC XRCD 1997
Basie Big Band - JVC K2HD 2001

IMHO RBCD has a hard time keeping up to big band. Most of the big band I listen to is on LP.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Here are a trio other good Basie recordings:

"Chairman of the Board", Roulette, 1958
"Kansas City Suite, The Music of Benny Carter", Roulette, 1960
"Farmers Market Barbecue", Pablo, 1982

The Timekeepers with Oscar Peterson is no slouch either .

Last edited:

goldeneraguy

Dec 11, 2012
Summer of 1955,I heard the Count and his band which included drummer Sonny Page (one more once) swing with April In Paris.I was hooked on music since then and finally saw Paris two years ago.He also backed Joe Williams on Smack Dab In The Middle,which wasn't too shabby either.
Where did all the great music go??

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
88 Basie Street - JVC XRCD 1997
Basie Big Band - JVC K2HD 2001

IMHO RBCD has a hard time keeping up to big band. Most of the big band I listen to is on LP.

just got the 88 Basie on XRCD. Thanks Gary! Also just got:

One night in Tokyo - Chet Baker
Last Great Concert - Chet Baker
Monk's Music - Thelonius Monk (Remastered)
Art Pepper Plays at Ronnie Scotts (4 CD...very hard to find!!!)
In a Soulful Mood - Charlie Parker
Live at Carnegie Hall - Dexter Gordon
Ellington Meets Coleman Hawkins (APO Remastered version)
Dave Brubeck at Carnegie Hall
Harry Belafonte at Carnegie Hall (apparently the full concert - 2CDs)

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Summer of 1955,I heard the Count and his band which included drummer Sonny Page (one more once) swing with April In Paris.I was hooked on music since then and finally saw Paris two years ago.He also backed Joe Williams on Smack Dab In The Middle,which wasn't too shabby either.
Welcome, Goldeneraguy! We know each other from A-Gon, and you'll be a good contributor to this place. Good to see you here.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue

I saw him give a free concert in Kansas City circa 1980. He was pretty stroked out by then and in a wheelchair. But when they wheeled him up to the piano, almost magically, 20 years fell away and the concert was phenomenal.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

---- Awesome sir! :b

Dad was into Big Band Jazz music big time. ...Not just Count Basie, but the Duke (Ellington) and Benny Goodman, Dick Hyman, Louis Armstrong, and more.
And he was also into Opera music, in particular the famous tenors from the 40s and 50s and 60s.

* 1955 was the best year, the best era, the best times, the best moon ....

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
just got the 88 Basie on XRCD. Thanks Gary! Also just got:

One night in Tokyo - Chet Baker
Last Great Concert - Chet Baker
Monk's Music - Thelonius Monk (Remastered)
Art Pepper Plays at Ronnie Scotts (4 CD...very hard to find!!!)
In a Soulful Mood - Charlie Parker
Live at Carnegie Hall - Dexter Gordon
Ellington Meets Coleman Hawkins (APO Remastered version)
Dave Brubeck at Carnegie Hall
Harry Belafonte at Carnegie Hall (apparently the full concert - 2CDs)

---- All good stuff there Lloyd.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Welcome to the WBF, goldeneraguy. Glad to see you here.

Tom

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing