Canon Powershot S110

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I mentioned that I was interested in getting a better camera, and Steve recommended the Canon S100. Gary then seconded that by saying he used one for the shots he took at CES. Then Jay came along with another positive post and indicated there was a newer model...the S110. With 3 positive endorsements I decided to look around today and went into a place called Henry's, which is a chain dealing in only photography and supplies.

I looked at both the S100 and the S110, and there are only 2 differences. The S110 introduces Wi-Fi and the screen is now a multi-touch capacitive touchscreen. Sweet I thought! What about the price I asked? Well, I can get the S110 for less than the S100 as it's on-sale until the end of the month. $329.99. This is definitely a pricepoint I can live with.

Anything else I need to know before I purchase this?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I mentioned that I was interested in getting a better camera, and Steve recommended the Canon S100. Gary then seconded that by saying he used one for the shots he took at CES. Then Jay came along with another positive post and indicated there was a newer model...the S110. With 3 positive endorsements I decided to look around today and went into a place called Henry's, which is a chain dealing in only photography and supplies.

I looked at both the S100 and the S110, and there are only 2 differences. The S110 introduces Wi-Fi and the screen is now a multi-touch capacitive touchscreen. Sweet I thought! What about the price I asked? Well, I can get the S110 for less than the S100 as it's on-sale until the end of the month. $329.99. This is definitely a pricepoint I can live with.

Anything else I need to know before I purchase this?

They change it every year

Started with an S90, then an S95 , then S100 and now the S110

Get the newer model and that price is very excellent. I paid ~$400 for my S100

R Johnson

Jul 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have the S100, purchased a couple months ago on Amazon's deal-of-the day for $229. I'm very happy with it. I love the 24mm equivalent wide angle. The S100 has remarkably good low light capability with high ISO and stabilization technology, and f/2.0 at wide angle. My only complaint -- poor number of exposures before the battery gives out. But the batteries are small and decent 3rd party batteries are available.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Hi all! I had a really difficult time taking close-ups with my Canon A710, but I suspect this camera will do a much better job at that. It's actually one of the main reasons I'm looking at it. It doesn't have external MIC support, but I can live without that (it would have been a nice feature though).

As far as the grip...I'll have to ask the folks at the shop to see if they carry it. Good idea and something I would certainly want.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Hi all! I had a really difficult time taking close-ups with my Canon A710, but I suspect this camera will do a much better job at that. It's actually one of the main reasons I'm looking at it. It doesn't have external MIC support, but I can live without that (it would have been a nice feature though).

As far as the grip...I'll have to ask the folks at the shop to see if they carry it. Good idea and something I would certainly want.

you'll be astonished as to how good the mic is John

the grip has to be ordered directly from Richard Franiec

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
you'll be astonished as to how good the mic is John

the grip has to be ordered directly from Richard Franiec

Good to know...and looking forward to trying it out. How much was the grip?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Very happy with my S100 and have used it in a variety of situations.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I picked up the Camera today after talking to the sales guy. I wanted to know if there was anything else out there I should be looking at, and he said "Not at the price we're offering the Canon S110!". He walked me through some things and was really patient. I was satisfied that this is the right camera for me, I went ahead and took out my debit card.

I just finished charging the battery, so I'll play with it a bit tonight. I also picked up a 32GB SD card at Costco for $28.99 as even a small capacity card wasn't included.

Matt193

Mar 21, 2011
Wisconsin
So John, one year later, how do you like your S110? I am thinking of picking one up at the current closeout pricing, but I'm a bit hesitant due to some complaints about the lens mechanism failing after some time.

What really interests me about this camera is that many people suggest it as one of the best compact point and shoot cameras for low light pictures. My Samsung S4 destroys my current aging Olympus in this aspect. What is your experience with taking handheld low light shots without the flash?

Thanks!

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
The canon S series has been very good for quite a few years now. A few years ago I got an S95 for my daughter and she loves it. With the reviews you guys have given on the S110, I may buy an S110, give it to my daughter who likes all the connectivity, and take her S95 which will do what I want in a Point and Shoot.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing