Canon EOS Rebel SL1

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
After more than a year of looking at all of the various Canon DSLRs on the market, I decided to go with the SL1. I picked it up this morning at Costco and I have the battery charging. One of the things that sold me on the SL1 was its smaller and lighter footprint. And also since Costco has a 90-day return policy on DSLRs I feel confident knowing I can return it if I'm not satisfied for some reason.

I think I've succeeded in acquiring a good camera for the novice photographer (which I certainly am), and I'm looking forward to experimenting with it and learning at least the very basic of features at first.

Canon Rebel SL1 unboxed.jpg

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Thanks Steve! I've always been a Canon fan. In fact, it's the only camera brand I've ever owned. Now all I have to do is improve my skill-set. Should be fun.

I already have a nice Tripod and hope to make a decision on an external mic shortly, since video is important to me. Additional lenses can wait for a while.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Congrats , was to pick it up but the Nikon 3300 dissuaded me . Enjoy

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Congratulations indeed. These DSLRs are amazing these days.

The one critique I have :), is to not use that UV filter. Use the hood all the time and that will protect against 99% of the problems. And if that 1% hits you, you can buy another lens. :)

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Enjoy I shall Jazzhead! Can't really go wrong with either Canon or Nikon, so enjoy yours to the fullest as well! :D

The one critique I have :), is to not use that UV filter. Use the hood all the time and that will protect against 99% of the problems. And if that 1% hits you, you can buy another lens. :)

Thanks for the tip Amir! Lens hood it is!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Enjoy I shall Jazzhead! Can't really go wrong with either Canon or Nikon, so enjoy yours to the fullest as well! :D

Thanks for the tip Amir! Lens hood it is!

Amir

I'm curious as to what one gives up by using the UV filter

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

We ended up with a Nikon 5100...mainly because it was on sale (last year's model and cheaper than the newer 3200 series) and it had at least 15-20 pre-settings for nearly every conceivable situation for total amateurs like us. We actually look like we know how to take photos now! Particularly fast moving, candlelight, nite shots with someone in front of a lit up scene, and indoor shots of food...absurdly professional, and we knowingly take no credit for it...but have lots of fun nevertheless.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
With color film the UV filter prevented an overly blue/violet sky since the film was also sensitive to UV.

I don't know how far past visible violet into UV the digital sensors respond.

number95

May 14, 2014

UV filter has some other jobs depending on situations like protecting from dust, water etc (eg heavy wind near seaside or deserted areas). Otherwise I agree with amirm, perhaps these are more than 1% :)

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
UV filter has some other jobs depending on situations like protecting from dust, water etc (eg heavy wind near seaside or deserted areas). Otherwise I agree with amirm, perhaps these are more than 1% :)

That's why I asked the question because that is what I have used them for

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing