Canon Powershot S110

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
So John, one year later, how do you like your S110? I am thinking of picking one up at the current closeout pricing, but I'm a bit hesitant due to some complaints about the lens mechanism failing after some time.

What really interests me about this camera is that many people suggest it as one of the best compact point and shoot cameras for low light pictures. My Samsung S4 destroys my current aging Olympus in this aspect. What is your experience with taking handheld low light shots without the flash?

Thanks!

Hi Matt,

I'm not one to mess round with various options and just leave my S110 set on AUTO. The vast majority of times the flash, even in low light, doesn't activate. It only pops up in severe low light levels. I've been very happy with the results to far. I've had no problems at all with the lens mechanism or anything else about the camera, and I'm sure I've taken several thousand shots. I think the battery life on it is excellent as well. I wouldn't hesitate to get this camera.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Hi Matt,

I'm not one to mess round with various options and just leave my S110 set on AUTO. The vast majority of times the flash, even in low light, doesn't activate. It only pops up in severe low light levels. I've been very happy with the results to far. I've had no problems at all with the lens mechanism or anything else about the camera, and I'm sure I've taken several thousand shots. I think the battery life on it is excellent as well. I wouldn't hesitate to get this camera.

It's a great camera for the size, money, convenience etc,etc

Matt193

Mar 21, 2011
Wisconsin
I think I might actually like a grip. I have giant hands so before I order it, I would like to at least handle one to make sure I can hold it comfortably. The Sony we have at work is really frustrating for me to use because of the way I have to hold it; I'm constantly hitting the setting wheel on top and blocking the flash. On the other hand, my Olympus is great because it doesn't have any protruding buttons or dials.

Matt193

Mar 21, 2011
Wisconsin
Great site, Steve. The "control dial solution" looks like it would be a great add on for me if I have problems with the dial and buttons on the back.

Matt193

Mar 21, 2011
Wisconsin
Yes, just now. I have been waiting for a deal like this to come along. Amazon dropped it to $209 for a black one for a day about a month ago and I passed on it. I had been kicking myself ever since until this morning. :)

Steve Williams

Yes, just now. I have been waiting for a deal like this to come along. Amazon dropped it to $209 for a black one for a day about a month ago and I passed on it. I had been kicking myself ever since until this morning. :)

you will love the camera

It delivers and fits in your pocket

panchoskywalker

Mar 6, 2014
Hello, I recently bought the s110 and I'd like to know if it's possible to see the focal length on the screen. I mean to see 24mm, 35mm, 50mm, etc.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I just got an S110 kit with case, memory card and other stuff for $149 and free shipping! The S120 just came out, but I don't care. I feel like I got a $449 camera for one third the price! This made it very easy to justify my first ever point and shoot camera.

You can see the mm setting in the screen. You rotate the knurled ring around the lens where it joins the camera and it pops up on the screen.

Last edited:

panchoskywalker

Mar 6, 2014
You can see the mm setting in the screen. You rotate the knurled ring around the lens where it joins the camera and it pops up on the screen.

Thanks, that happens only when on auto mode, I mostly use the camera on Av mode. I guess this is just not possible, neverminds, this is not so important.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Thanks, that happens only when on auto mode, I mostly use the camera on Av mode. I guess this is just not possible, neverminds, this is not so important.

On AV mode, click Ring Func. and set the ring to Zoom. Then, when you turn the ring to zoom, the focal length is displayed as you zoom.

Matt193

Mar 21, 2011
Wisconsin
I just got an S110 kit with case, memory card and other stuff for $149 and free shipping! The S120 just came out, but I don't care. I feel like I got a $449 camera for one third the price! This made it very easy to justify my first ever point and shoot camera.

It sounds like you got a great deal, Gary! I had to return my first one due to lens error issues which kept coming up when I was turning off the camera. It also wouldn't hold a charge when I was using it outside in the cold. I hope that my replacement works ok, especially in the cold. I have a trip coming up next month and I'm excited to put it though it's paces.

Steve Williams

I just got back from a week in Mexico and I only had my S95 and the pix are wonderful. You got a great deal but could these be grey market cameras with no US warranty. Hence the low price or is it just because of an outdated model?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing