Best DAC/Preamp combo under $10k?

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Hey I have the same dac as you . A platinum plus , galaxy clock diamond base , UMT plus and dual transport power base .
I have pics but I cannot load pics
Al

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
There is not many options available. As I wanted it in BAL. And the L7 is not available it must be SE.
I have the additional analog input. Volume control , PCM, dsd , USB ,spidif , now the tubes I am getting what the owner has advised me to do. I know it sounds stupid and I guess it is but you cannot role tubes .the way it comes that's the way it is. .

It will be a one box style with the 4 tubes outside on top.
The L5 I had was a loaner .it played dsd very good .and PCM was very good as well.
As I have the msb plat plus to compare. They were very close in details but the presitsion was closer on the lampi. And it was a little brighter as well. Not glaring it was a small change only in a A/B it becomes obvious. I also had a level 4 gen 4
And although it was good too the level 5 is better . I also ordered all black .
Al

Hi Al,
Please check your private message box.
Thanks!

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hey I have the same dac as you . A platinum plus , galaxy clock diamond base , UMT plus and dual transport power base .
I have pics but I cannot load pics
Al

Hi Al,

Yours is better. Mine has the Femto140 clock only.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Thanks very much. Do you have a good feeling on how much more you get with MSB Diamond? e.g. did you work your way up there and upgraded from Platinum or some such? of course even used the MSB Diamond is over $10k. I am beginning to see what a lot of people in this forum end up spending a lot on their system - every link in the chain has to be perfect!

Brian

I went directly for the Diamond, but I had the Signature at home, while waiting for my Diamond to arrive.
I'd say it's not an absurd difference, but they're there.

I suggest you go for the Signature (or even the Platinum), and if you like the sound, trade it away and upgrade.
When buying used, make sure it has the Galaxy Clock.

alexandre

NewAudio

Feb 12, 2014
There is not many options available. As I wanted it in BAL. And the L7 is not available it must be SE.
I have the additional analog input. Volume control , PCM, dsd , USB ,spidif , now the tubes I am getting what the owner has advised me to do. I know it sounds stupid and I guess it is but you cannot role tubes .the way it comes that's the way it is. .

The L5 I had was a loaner .it played dsd very good .and PCM was very good as well.
As I have the msb plat plus to compare. They were very close in details but the presitsion was closer on the lampi. And it was a little brighter as well. Not glaring it was a small change only in a A/B it becomes obvious. I also had a level 4 gen 4
Al

The level 7 Lampi looks very good indeed - with options say $7500 eur, a little over $10k. Now is this better than the $6k PS Audio DirectStream DAC? What I hear is likely yes and no, in the best result. The "midrange magic and awsome bass" sounds attractive with the L7 and the perhaps better accuracy in getting the best of your PCM music is potentially a big plus for the PS Audio (though yet to be proven - can't wait to see some serious reviews- in fact I am surprised demo machines have not been with reviewers for some time?). I am really impressed with lampizatOr attention to detail and what they put into the power supply (which could be, with other systems, say a $10k option in itself I expect). Actually with the tubes up top it looks really cool - would complement my Lamms.

It is interesting how they are coupling the DAC to the tube input.

regards, Brian

Quote from website. http://www.lampizator.eu/newdac/lampizator/Level_Seven.html

"This dac uses DHT tubes that normally “belong “ in an amplifier but we use them like no one ever before - for DAC converter.
Why is this DAC radically minimalist? because in Level7 we connected a superb DAC chip to the grid input of 2A3 single ended triode and we did it directly - without a single series component. Yes, we have neither a resistor nor a capacitor between the chip and the triode.

Unlike in an amp, in our DAC it does not matter that the tube is a weakest amplifier tube ever, and that it is famous for great midrange only. In our design the midrange magic is there, but the most striking feature is absolutely awesome bass. It is so deep , powerful and big, that we feel it is unobtainable any other way. "

Last edited:

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Auralic Vega at $3500. Or, best DAC/pre-amp combo is a Pass Labs XP-20 and the Auralic Vega.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
For the Level 7 Lampi - what tubes did you chose if you don't mind saying? Also I read through the website on what is in the build - pretty impressive! I believe you said you also ordered the Directstream DAC - looks like you will know it all soon.

He used to use 2A3s and now I hear its 300b or lately 45 triodes (easier to get on the aftermarket). All are Directly Heated Triodes. L7 use half the parts count and a stage less of attenuation of the digital section. Tubes run at 5% of rated capacity. Enormous headroom, I am told. I would love to hear one. There will be one in Axpona-Chicago (room 432) with Purity Aduio and Vapor Speakers.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011

Al

Sounds like the Duelunds in the L5 needed more time to break in!

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Lampis are customed built and many options are possible. Which lampis did you hear and when?

NewAudio

Feb 12, 2014
I went directly for the Diamond, but I had the Signature at home, while waiting for my Diamond to arrive.
I'd say it's not an absurd difference, but they're there.

I suggest you go for the Signature (or even the Platinum), and if you like the sound, trade it away and upgrade.
When buying used, make sure it has the Galaxy Clock.

alexandre

alexandre - thanks. I haven't even heard on the clock - lots to learn.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing