Best DAC/Preamp combo under $10k?

NewAudio

Feb 12, 2014
Well, I own the MSB Diamond, but since your budget was $10k, I didn't even go there :)
As far as differences go, with MSB, you do get more once you pay more, but of course, whether it's worth it or not it's up to you.

alexandre

Thanks very much. Do you have a good feeling on how much more you get with MSB Diamond? e.g. did you work your way up there and upgraded from Platinum or some such? of course even used the MSB Diamond is over $10k. I am beginning to see what a lot of people in this forum end up spending a lot on their system - every link in the chain has to be perfect!

Brian

NewAudio

Feb 12, 2014
Lampizator Level 5 or 7, Chord Hugo (no remote), PS Audio Direct Stream, VAD Dac, Calyx Femto Dac (not sure about preamp), Antelope Platinum dac, etc

On other forums I have seen a lot of passion around the Lampizator, almost love in fact. Reviews also are up there. Any feeling on how Lampizator Level 5 stacks up against the MSB Platinum, for example?

Brian

NewAudio

Feb 12, 2014
I would definitely try the new PS audio directstream ($6K). Not even shipping yet, but according to those what heard it a price/performance breakthrough - according to manufacturer (of course biased), it beat the $15K EMM Labs DAC2X in an A/B shootout . You probably get 30 day trial on a new unit.

Lots of innovation in DAC technology. You could probably pick up a used MSB Platinum in your price range (if a platinum ever shows up - you can get a used signature for around $15K), but there is no guarantee it will sound any better than the directstream. Only listening can tell. In fact, I will audition one myself once I can get my hands on it and do a double blind shootout against my MSB Signature.

Thanks -very much appreciated. I take your point on DAC and gelling innovation - my philosophy is to buy components that are top level on the used market (or dealer demo), so I can easily resell at little cost difference if I decide to run to something else. However if technology is moving fast and technical innovations are accompanied by lower cost - then that of course changes the equation. Would love to see a review of the PS audio directstream. Perhaps I can even audition it myself or take the 30 day trial. One idea would be to take 30 day trials on two DACs and return the loser.

regards, Brian

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Thanks -very much appreciated. I take your point on DAC and gelling innovation - my philosophy is to buy components that are top level on the used market (or dealer demo), so I can easily resell at little cost difference if I decide to run to something else. However if technology is moving fast and technical innovations are accompanied by lower cost - then that of course changes the equation. Would love to see a review of the PS audio directstream. Perhaps I can even audition it myself or take the 30 day trial. One idea would be to take 30 day trials on two DACs and return the loser.

regards, Brian

I try to buy the same as you, and it works like a charm with analog stuff. Rate of innovation in digital changes the economics though. You almost inevitably end up taking a big hit, even if you buy used at a good price. So in some cases you may be best off buying brand new of a DAC comes out that changes the price performance equation. For PS audio, if you buy from dealer you can get discount, but no 30 day trial. Buy direct and pay full MSRP with 30 day trial. Its a trade-off...

NewAudio

Feb 12, 2014
I was interested in the Analog and went to a dealer to listen. It sounded fine but was way below the signature MSB that was also at the store...........the Diamond is only better. Since the Analog can't be upgraded, you might want to consider a used Platinum or Signature for a little more than $10k. It would be a pretty good step up from the Analog.

I also wanted to stay under $10k and went with the TotalDAC D1-dual but no analog input as with the MSB.

Thanks - I like your signature "Dad, when are you going to stop changing all the electronics?" that is where I am at and why I try to buy used! Used Platinum Signatures look to be $15k range, a little higher than I wanted but... Though the new PS Audio "miracle" looks compelling.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
On other forums I have seen a lot of passion around the Lampizator, almost love in fact. Reviews also are up there. Any feeling on how Lampizator Level 5 stacks up against the MSB Platinum, for example?

Brian

I will let Al answer that as he has experience with both. I cant recall ever hearing the MSB, though I might have at Audio Shows. Lampi sound is very holographic and full of body. Instrument tone is exceptional. Vocals divine. Chipless DSD unparalleled.

Last edited:

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Well I can Sum it like this. I have the MSB and I ordered a L7 with all,the goodies. The dac plays music pristinely a very up close presentation that keeps your hands and feet tapping.

Al

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
The Classe CP800 should be on your list in this price range. I own it myself and its been a treat thus far. The Preamp has an undeniable amount of flexibility and the DAC is dead nuts neutral if neutrality is your thing.

There are certainly more resolving standalone DACs on the market but I have yet to see a more flexible Preamp of similar quality at any price point which is why I went with it myself. If you ever get bored with the DAC just pickup another standalone unit and use the CP800 in an along bypass mode for Preamp purposes..

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Thanks - I like your signature "Dad, when are you going to stop changing all the electronics?" that is where I am at and why I try to buy used! Used Platinum Signatures look to be $15k range, a little higher than I wanted but... Though the new PS Audio "miracle" looks compelling.

So when you say "preamp" do you need an analog input, or just volume control?

NewAudio

Feb 12, 2014
So when you say "preamp" do you need an analog input, or just volume control?

I think volume only is OK - so digital input only. PS audio directstream gives a compelling story on their videos on website - pretty well based that normal PCM/CD playback is flawed and SACD (DSD) gives you all the hidden nuances of music. Though not to muddy the waters - I have done some Googling, and there has been some well controlled blind comparisons of SACD and CD which concluded there was no discernible difference. Now from a signal processing standpoint they should actually be equivalent (Nyquist etc). Perhaps PS audio's new implementation simply does finally get you the theoretical resolution of PCM format where previous systems could not....

NewAudio

Feb 12, 2014
Well I can Sum it like this. I have the MSB and I ordered a L7 with all,the goodies. The dac plays music pristinely a very up close presentation that keeps your hands and feet tapping.

Al

That is in line with other posting on other sites, hands and feet tapping. I wonder if the Lampi (and other tube DACs) are adding some sort of "tube" sound or just demonstrating the superior resolution of tubes over solid-state?

Brian

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
No they do not sound tuby. And yes that is from os audio the only thing is I have been saying for years LOL. what the tapping means is it sounds real. If you heard a DAC that just sounds awfull or not real. Ther is no feel of rythem. So when I first heard my msb imediatly my feet started rapping. Well the Lampi had that sound too.

Al

NewAudio

Feb 12, 2014

Al

For the Level 7 Lampi - what tubes did you chose if you don't mind saying? Also I read through the website on what is in the build - pretty impressive! I believe you said you also ordered the Directstream DAC - looks like you will know it all soon.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Exactly. I need three rigs anyway. I would think they all should sound good.
Al

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

Hi Alrainbow,

Would you mind telling us the configuration/options of your ordered Lv7?

A friend of mine just received his a month ago. He chooses 2A3 tubes, DSD option and volume option.

Thanks!

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
There is not many options available. As I wanted it in BAL. And the L7 is not available it must be SE.
I have the additional analog input. Volume control , PCM, dsd , USB ,spidif , now the tubes I am getting what the owner has advised me to do. I know it sounds stupid and I guess it is but you cannot role tubes .the way it comes that's the way it is. .

It will be a one box style with the 4 tubes outside on top.
The L5 I had was a loaner .it played dsd very good .and PCM was very good as well.
As I have the msb plat plus to compare. They were very close in details but the presitsion was closer on the lampi. And it was a little brighter as well. Not glaring it was a small change only in a A/B it becomes obvious. I also had a level 4 gen 4
And although it was good too the level 5 is better . I also ordered all black .
Al

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing