Best DAC/Preamp combo under $10k?

NewAudio

Feb 12, 2014
I am looking for an excellent DAC with integrated preamp max $10k (used preferred and <$10k used is OK for higher priced items - e.g. I would aspire to pay <$10k used for a $20k DAC/Preamp.).

If you feel I should best use separate DAC and pre-amp, then please do jump in - your input is most welcome!

Inputs are simply Apple lossless music ported directly to the DAC ( so an Apple connector would be a plus!, though I have a stand that directly passes through the digital content) and Toslink from Comcast and Plasma TV (TV has apps, Netflix etc). I may add a CD player (perhaps I don't need really high end if I port the digital output directly to the DAC?!) and a turntable at some stage.

I have Lamm ML1.1 monoblocks and a powered subwoofer (Funk) the analog output would feed into. So separate sub output would be great. As I have tube amps a tube DAC might be sensible, but I am not sure it matters - help me out here!?

A real volume control as well as a remote would be good. (some DAC/Preamps only have remote volume).

thanks very much, Brian

==> Some poorly researched thoughts from a quick Google and looking at what can be bought used.... Note a AV system might be OK but I would use it as a Preamp/DAC only.

• AMR DP-777 DAC/PreampMark Levinson No. 502
• Theta Digital Gen VIII Series 3 DAC preamp
• McIntosh d100
• Classe SSP 800
• Anthem D2V
• Meridian 861
• Mark Levinson 502 Media Center
• Mytek Stereo192-DSD DAC/Preamp

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Lampizator Level 5 or 7, Chord Hugo (no remote), PS Audio Direct Stream, VAD Dac, Calyx Femto Dac (not sure about preamp), Antelope Platinum dac, etc

NewAudio

Feb 12, 2014
Have you considered the MSB Analog DAC?

http://msbtech.com/products/analogDac.php?Page=../index

It seems to do everything you need, and it's more modern than most of the models you've listed. Oh, and it's under $10k...

alexandre

Yes - after I posted this I was doing some further searching and MSB looks like a top player. Now - of course there is the top model, the MSB Diamond DAC IV. Issue is if I buy the Analog - would I always wonder - gee what would it sound like with the Diamond? I do think the MSB DAC IV Signature Platinum can be had used closer to $10 grand though.

Question - comparison between the Diamond and Platinum and Analog does anyone have any experiences? My feeling is high-fidelity is like other technologies - one has to spend 10 times as much to get something twice as good, or at east better....

Brian

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Yes - after I posted this I was doing some further searching and MSB looks like a top player. Now - of course there is the top model, the MSB Diamond DAC IV. Issue is if I buy the Analog - would I always wonder - gee what would it sound like with the Diamond? I do think the MSB DAC IV Signature Platinum can be had used closer to $10 grand though.

Question - comparison between the Diamond and Platinum and Analog does anyone have any experiences? My feeling is high-fidelity is like other technologies - one has to spend 10 times as much to get something twice as good, or at east better....

Brian

Well, I own the MSB Diamond, but since your budget was $10k, I didn't even go there :)
As far as differences go, with MSB, you do get more once you pay more, but of course, whether it's worth it or not it's up to you.

alexandre

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
TechDAS D7i Supreme. Does DSD and PCM up to 24/192

SPDIF coax, Toslink, USB and a front Apple Port for iOS devices

Variable Output but no remote

No line level input so I wouldn't exactly call it a DAC/Preamp rather a DAC with an Analog volume control

US Price if the same as the Japanese price would be well below 10k at about $8,500.

Sounds good. It is smooth, detailed and has some balls. I've sold 3 already. I think I'll get one for myself along with a pelican case so I can bring it with me when I go home to the province.
That and my laptop and hard drives and I'm good to go.

Designed by TechDAS COO, Nishikawa-san's 15 year protege, engineer Kazuhiko Hashizumi. Another great, fun guy like his boss and mentor.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I would definitely try the new PS audio directstream ($6K). Not even shipping yet, but according to those what heard it a price/performance breakthrough - according to manufacturer (of course biased), it beat the $15K EMM Labs DAC2X in an A/B shootout . You probably get 30 day trial on a new unit.

Lots of innovation in DAC technology. You could probably pick up a used MSB Platinum in your price range (if a platinum ever shows up - you can get a used signature for around $15K), but there is no guarantee it will sound any better than the directstream. Only listening can tell. In fact, I will audition one myself once I can get my hands on it and do a double blind shootout against my MSB Signature.

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF

Brian

I was interested in the Analog and went to a dealer to listen. It sounded fine but was way below the signature MSB that was also at the store...........the Diamond is only better. Since the Analog can't be upgraded, you might want to consider a used Platinum or Signature for a little more than $10k. It would be a pretty good step up from the Analog.

I also wanted to stay under $10k and went with the TotalDAC D1-dual but no analog input as with the MSB.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I would definitely try the new PS audio directstream ($6K). Not even shipping yet, but according to those what heard it a price/performance breakthrough - according to manufacturer (of course biased), it beat the $15K EMM Labs DAC2X in an A/B shootout . You probably get 30 day trial on a new unit.

Lots of innovation in DAC technology. You could probably pick up a used MSB Platinum in your price range (if a platinum ever shows up - you can get a used signature for around $15K), but there is no guarantee it will sound any better than the directstream. Only listening can tell. In fact, I will audition one myself once I can get my hands on it and do a double blind shootout against my MSB Signature.

As you will probably be able to listen to one before me I hope will post your findings as soon as you get it. People can call it good marketing or audiophile hype, but I am really curious about this unit. Unfortunately it seems the launch in Europe will be not be simultaneous with the presentation in the US.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I have ordered one as well. And I will do a comparison with my msb. How ever even if the msb beats it in some ways
That still makes it a good choice with adding in the price. I also have a lampi 7 being ordered I do not expect it to be better but different. As I want to hear what edorr says as much as mine. The reasoning is simple at this level a very critical ear is needed . And I do trust mine but do want edorr,s as well. I use my current Pwd with an offramp 5. And it makes the Pwd mkii a far better dac than without . So given ps audio has found a way to allow the dac to shine with USB as they claim
I would think it is a good contender. However catman is looking for a analog input too.

Al

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I have ordered one as well. And I will do a comparison with my msb. How ever even if the msb beats it in some ways
That still makes it a good choice with adding in the price. I also have a lampi 7 being ordered I do not expect it to be better but different. As I want to hear what edorr says as much as mine. The reasoning is simple at this level a very critical ear is needed . And I do trust mine but do want edorr,s as well. I use my current Pwd with an offramp 5. And it makes the Pwd mkii a far better dac than without . So given ps audio has found a way to allow the dac to shine with USB as they claim
I would think it is a good contender. However catman is looking for a analog input too.

Al

Buckle up for the L7 AL, its in another league to the L5...which is already great.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I am sure it is. And how lucky am I to know someone to help guide me in the purchase. This will be pretty cool to have the dac,s I have and be able to compare. And thanks for all your help Norman , I was lucky to find you.

Al

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I was lucky to find you too. I have made several good pals in this hobby that I may never have met otherwise!

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
As you will probably be able to listen to one before me I hope will post your findings as soon as you get it. People can call it good marketing or audiophile hype, but I am really curious about this unit. Unfortunately it seems the launch in Europe will be not be simultaneous with the presentation in the US.

I put in the order and I was just notified I missed out on the first batch, so I probably won't have it before end of May....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing