$80K budget for Speakers

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
I have heard such demos at dealers but never bought unless heard in multiple settings in different contexts. My current speakers have a lifetime full refund return policy and I heard them in a home setting before buying. I agree your scenario is not uncommon.
Wow, full lifetime refund policy. Nice

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
We appear to all have had similar experiences. Hear a pair of speakers that stand out from the rest, Grab our attention like no others do and buy them. Bring them home hook them up and they sound dull, lifeless and flat. We call dealer and ask 'what's up?' dealer says 'let them break in for a couple hundred hours'. We let them break in, speakers still sound like stale a s s and they're past the return date! now we jump on the room treatment/component/cable matching merry go round. This process can take years because because now our $80k speakers need a 2 box preamp, a 4 box dac and 2 to 4 amps to dial them in, but by now we're just calling every change an improvement because deep down inside all hope of reliving that magical demo day has evaporated.

Ass out the box , just an improved ass 6 months later , breaking in wont turn it into a silk Purse ..!

Reactions: steve59

AudioGod

Aug 27, 2023
Finland
I have heard such demos at dealers but never bought unless heard in multiple settings in different contexts. My current speakers have a lifetime full refund return policy and I heard them in a home setting before buying. I agree your scenario is not uncommon.
What speaker is that ?

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Reactions: AudioGod

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
And that you both live way past a hundred years of course !:)

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Buy a strauss and for the rest of the money a good amp. you don't need more.
BTW, did you listen to the Stauss amps (stereo and 2xmono)?
They seem to be very good as well.

Matt

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
BTW, did you listen to the Stauss amps (stereo and 2xmono)?
They seem to be very good as well.

Matt
In my opinion, the power amplifiers and speakers are excellent. I didn't miss anything, resolution and muscularity were plentiful. The only disadvantage of this speaker is, this a near field studio monitor conzept far away lost abit of magic.How this amp works with other, more difficult speakers cannot be answered. It was a demonstration with their own speakers.
Sound demo amp and smaller strauss speaker

Reactions: matthias

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
In my opinion, the power amplifiers and speakers are excellent. I didn't miss anything, resolution and muscularity were plentiful. The only disadvantage of this speaker is, this a near field studio monitor conzept far away lost abit of magic.How this amp works with other, more difficult speakers cannot be answered. It was a demonstration with their own speakers.
Sound demo amp and smaller strauss speaker
Very interesting products. There are gems to be harvested from the pro audio world.

Reactions: DasguteOhr

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Very interesting products. There are gems to be harvested from the pro audio world.
I was allowed to listen to a lecture by Mr.Strauss on how and why he constructed it like that. impressed me greatly ,every now and then you have to think outside the box of high-end. then you find real gold(gems) sorry

Reactions: gleeds

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Reactions: matthias

divertiti

Jan 12, 2021
Hello audiogod. I recommend giving the Rockport Cygnus or Avior ii an audition with your room size. They sound amazing with Boulder amplification. My room is similar in size to yours and I use a corner set up as some have suggested. Be sure to deal with the most important component of all. Your room. Good luck !
@AudioGod I can confirm Rockports and Boulder is a top shelf combination. That being said, you absolutely should go through a listening based selection process. Go to a major show to listen to all brands of speakers, take note of what you liked hearing (and why) or what you're interested in exploring more. Then go to dealers under more optimized settings to listen through the shortlist. There are many worthy speakers at that price range, everything from horns to dynamic speakers, you will never know what will satisfy you the most if you don't listen.

hogen

May 15, 2018
Oslo, Norway
I will travel from Brazil to Bulgaria when APL launches the new Endless speakers.
That’s how important it is to listen first and figure out if you like it.
Inside Europe it’s much easier
That is real commitment!! How did the trip and the listening session go?

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Of the 3 speakers the OP listed the easiest to get to sound good is the Alexia V. Additionally a “trained” dealer will set them up.

A well setup and optimized $40k speaker is going to far outperform an $80k speaker that is just loosely placed.

divertiti

Jan 12, 2021
Hello neighbour :)

I would like to suggest a trip across the ocean to visit us in Stockholm, Sweden. We’ve got Rockport, Stenheim, Verity, Diptyque and more on the floor here for demonstration within this price range.

There are many things to consider on the way towards choosing the right speakers for you that needs to be investigated further.

You will not find the answers that you need until you experience things yourself in real life.

Welcome.

/ Marcus, www.perfect-sense.se
@AudioGod Definitely take Marcus up on this offer, it will be the most worthwhile trip. It's actually kind of crazy how many of the top brands he has under one roof, everything from DACs to amps. You will need a well matched system (including cables) to really bring out the potential of your speakers. You don't need to buy everything all at once of course, but you should build an idea of what you like and where you want to go.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Of the 3 speakers the OP listed the easiest to get to sound good is the Alexia V. Additionally a “trained” dealer will set them up.

A well setup and optimized $40k speaker is going to far outperform an $80k speaker that is just loosely placed.

Agreed. As mine have been used more, the drivers have fully broken in and the sound quality has really been top-notch in every area. I just go down to my listening room and play music. I am not really thinking about gear anymore.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
No brainer , my own speaker design from 2016 still goes very strong .
After having visited many shows/ dealer shows the past 2 - 3 years i m even more convinced .
What i also have become convinced of is the sound smearing of Tube power amps .
I might be adding a CH precision power amp possibly next year M 1.1 or A 1.5

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing