$80K budget for Speakers

Richard Austen

Jun 2, 2020
I also recommend auditioning the Classic Audio speakers. After more than 2 decades of experimentation, I am now convinced that field coils is the way to go. Only electrostatics can achieve the same level of transparency and low distortion, but without the macrodynamic capabilities of a compression driver. Since Classic does not do any of the advertising/promotion like other more mainstream high end brands, they are less well known outside of the horn/high efficiency community, but they also offer much better value. I am using their midrange and bass drivers and tube field coil power supply. The next step would be to use an active crossover and multiple amps, which I find extremely rewarding. Driving the drivers directly gives a huge increase in transparency and dynamics, and one can optimise the matching of each driver and its amplifier.
Yeah personally, I like these speakers more than most and to my taste I would take them over anything on the OP's list. I also auditioned the wonderful Heartsfield speakers here in Hong Kong - fantastic - I didn't know Classic Audio was making them.

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
As long as things are getting outside the mainstream then please add Ken Songer's amazing field coil S-2 dipoles to the list, At under $60k, Ken's hand built full-range driver deliver's electrostatic clarity, dynamics and density of tone that must be experienced. A real winner at the recent CAF show powered by Trafomatic 300B amplification and Lampizator DAC.

s2_shop.png s2_back_1.png

Last edited:

adrianywu

Nov 15, 2021
Yeah personally, I like these speakers more than most and to my taste I would take them over anything on the OP's list. I also auditioned the wonderful Heartsfield speakers here in Hong Kong - fantastic - I didn't know Classic Audio was making them.
Hi Richard, where did you hear the Hartsfield speakers ? I did not realise that there are Classic Audio speakers in HK. I bought the drivers directly from John Wolff.

Richard Austen

Jun 2, 2020
Hi Richard, where did you hear the Hartsfield speakers ? I did not realise that there are Classic Audio speakers in HK. I bought the drivers directly from John Wolff.
I don't know that they are classic audio - they could be original Hartsfield speakers as the cabinets looked a bit beaten up. I went to the Classic Audio website and saw that they are making them under classic speakers https://classicaudioloudspeakers.com/cgi-bin/index.pl?fs=2&upper=27&content=28

The dealer selling them here in HK is one of several offshoot AN UK dealers and I looked in and saw the GakuOns along with the Hartsfield, Cessero horns, AN Es, Nola Grand Reference. It seems the dealer carries more the top end. I don't see why Classic Audio could not sell here in Hong Kong - there are much bigger speakers here and usually horns are okay near walls/corners. I generally prefer horns and HE speakers - obviously Hong Kong is small and space is tight so AN speakers do pretty well here as does the LS 3/5a but a lot of the wealthy Chinse prefer to buy in HK because they feel they get the real article here while in China they think they might be buying a fake.

The Hartsfield just won't fit in my flat or my home in Canada! Gotta choose the right speaker for the given space. I do like the Classic Audio speakers I've heard. The Hartfield speakers - if I had to pick a word to describe their sound "Luxurious." No idea how much they cost - I should have asked but I can't fit them so I didn't think to inquire.

Reactions: AudioGod

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
I heard the Kharma's at CAF with CJ and they indeed sounded very good!
A new option from a well established German company that recently came to my attention in this range is the German Physiks PQS-302. I am so intrigued by these loudspeakers I will be traveling to the US importers next month for a listen. More after I hear them.

GP-DS302.jpeg

facten

Feb 13, 2022
Tennessee
@AudioGod - Any update on where you stand since you posed your question 3 months ago?

Djcxxx

Nov 11, 2022
Still with nothing :(
Too many choices and too many opinions often arrive at the same destination as no choices and no opinions.

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
True enough, but that was the questioned asked:)

A compendium of every recommendation would be a good resource for current and future Members.

On too many choices - that is IMO one of the wonderful aspects of the current scene.

facten

Feb 13, 2022
Tennessee
Analysis Paralysis

Excuse vs Decision Making

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
FYI Members, here is the dizzying list of recommended loudspeakers!
One could simply spend a million dollars and save a few hundred thousand so as not to worry about making a bad choice:)

Goebel Marquis
Zellaton Evo Plurals
Stenheim Alumine 5
Rockport Cygnus
YG Acoustics Vantage 3
Von Schweikert VR-55 SE
Wilson Alexia V
Kharma Midi
Magico M3
Focal Maestro Utopia
Sonus Faber Aida
Tidal Contriva G3's
Vivid Audio Giya 3
Sigma Acoustics (Bonzo approved)
Vyger Amargosa

Clarisys
Alysvox Tintoretto
Arion Apollo
German Physiks PQS 302
MBL
Classic Audio field coils models
Songer Audio W2
Wolf Von Langa Chicago
Corner Horns/Karmelli

I may have missed them but saw no mention of:

Avantgarde
Avalon Acoustics
Diptique Reference
GT Audio Works
Duntech (new models)
Peak Consult (new models)
SoundLabs
Wilson Benesch

Note: some speakers on this list are over $80k none that I am aware of rise to $100k
Apology to any Member recommendations left out.

Last edited:

Richard Austen

Jun 2, 2020
FYI Members, here is the dizzying list of recommended loudspeakers!
One could simply spend a million dollars and save a few hundred thousand so as not to worry about making a bad choice:)

Goebel Marquis
Zellaton Evo Plurals
Stenheim Alumine 5
Rockport Cygnus
YG Acoustics Vantage 3
Von Schweikert VR-55 SE
Wilson Alexia V
Kharma Midi
Magico M3
Focal Maestro Utopia
Sonus Faber Aida
Tidal Contriva G3's
Vivid Audio Giya 3
Sigma Acoustics (Bonzo approved)
Vyger Amargosa

Clarisys
Alysvox Tintoretto
Arion Apollo
German Physiks PQS 302
MBL
Classic Audio field coils models
Songer Audio W2
Wolf Von Langa Chicago
Corner Horns/Karmelli

I may have missed them but saw no mention of:

Avantgarde
Avalon Acoustics
Diptique Reference
GT Audio Works
Duntech (new models)
Peak Consult (new models)
SoundLabs
Wilson Benesch

Note: some speakers on this list are over $80k but not that I am aware of rise to $100k
Apology to any Member recommendations left out.
There are more - some of my Audio Show winners over the years make speakers at $80k

Acapella Audio Arts, Audio Note UK AN E speakers (17 versions ranging from around $7,000 to $400,000+ (Field Coils)), AVID Reference speakers, Perfect 8 Technologies:

Along with others that get up there: Scaena loudspeakers, Nola Speakers, Legacy Audio (Valor) speakers. Cessaro Home Acoustics speakers, B&W Model Nautilus is now $100,000 USD. Inflation!!

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
If you want to save money and get $ 80K performance from a $ 20K speaker, there is the PranaFidelity Dhyana. I am totally in love with its performance in my system, and It is my end destination speaker, see my review:

Steven Norber had great sound with it at T.H.E. Show in SoCal this year, and according to a number of people apparently always has good sound at shows. So it's worth checking out on such an occasion. Or if you ever are around in the Boston area, send me a PM and you can come for a listen.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
After demoing speakers for over a year I ended up with the Wilson Alexia V. They have delivered beyond expectations.
Congratulations!

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
After demoing speakers for over a year I ended up with the Wilson Alexia V. They have delivered beyond expectations.

Congratulations! I am also very impressed with mine.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing