Dynavector XV-1s vs Te Kaitora Rua

dbrane

Jul 26, 2023
New York
Hello, this is my first post here so hopefully I’m not breaking any rules of posting. I tried to search for comparisons of these two carts but couldn’t find anything direct.

I’ve been trying to put together a new analog rig for a few months now and finally getting close and the last bit is deciding on a cartridge which I’ve narrowed down to a Dynavector XV-1s or a Te Kaitora Rua. One of these will go on a Kuzma 4Point9 mounted on a Kuzma Stabi R. Output will go to an EM/IA 1:20L SUT to a Shindo Monbrison MM phono to a Leben CS600X powering Devore O/96s.

I typically listen to older jazz and metal (new and old) records.

Any comparisons that might help me decide or if one might have better synergy with the table/arm will be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Jim Smith

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
@dbrane Welcome!

When I think Dynavector I pretty much think only of the XV1S haha. It's a great all rounder. Seems smart to push towards it versus the TKR...

What is Dyna's repair policy these days? That's also a relevant tidbit to know...

Reactions: dbrane

dbrane

Jul 26, 2023
New York
Thanks @Solypsa for the welcome and your input. I actually ended up going with the XV-1s in the end and should have my table here in a couple of weeks. I asked around a few more places (including Michael Trei who has kindly agreed to perform my setup) and it was fairly unanimous on XV-1s.

I don't know the exact details on the repair policy, I was under the impression that my dealer would be able to help with that but you're right, I'll check with my dealer on the exact details on that.

boneman

Dec 5, 2016
Connecticut USA
Just saw this. I've used a XV-1s for the past four years. Mounted on a Kuzma 4point11 on a Kuzma Ref2, EMIA CU20:1 sut into Zesto Deluxe II. Rest is a Khozmo volume attenuator, tube buffer, Zesto Bia 120 and Devore O93s. It all seems to match well and sound good. I've used other carts but the only one that gets close to the XV-1s was a ZYX Airy IIIx which I now use as a backup. I run the cart/sut unloaded which in my system sounds best. I've had the XV-1s cleaned by Stephen Leung of VAS NY after about 1,000 hours and then retipped last year at about 1,700 hours by Joseph Long, aka Groove Tickler. Factory rebuild is available but it goes back to Jp and two years ago was about $2,600 USD. Setup is easy and the 4point holds the settings well. Enjoy the system!

Hilroy48

Sep 15, 2021
Regina Sk Canada
I am looking to upgrade from the Goldring Ethos to the

Te Kaitora Rua​

I am told by my dealer the result is jaw dropping.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing