$80K budget for Speakers

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I think my friend has these Focal speakers. I have heard them once.

Every focal speaker I have ever heard, including my friend's speakers, I have found to be too bright and too analytical for me.

2fastdriving

Jan 19, 2023
Tidal Contriva G3 would be something I think you gotta hear.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
All types of music
Mostly digital
What would be your choice ?(It doesn't need to be the 3 mentioned speakers )

Clarysis is utterly superior for timbre. Not even in the same competition realm between them and everything else you've mentioned. The Studio Plus is cheaper than some of them. The step above that (Auditorium) I've sat in front of and touched I'm not sure on price but it's capable of timbre I didn't think I'd hear in a modern speaker. I like high end vintage speakers but I can't argue with that quality if you're going new. But it makes them deserving of electronics that might surprise someone. They're more capable than most high end electronics offer, that are focused on fit, finish, and user interface (something like Goldmund or D'Agostino etc). They are the opposite of shy on bass as well. Haven't seen them paired with tubes but I bet it'd be pretty damn nice (or maybe hybrid, Lamm?).

Outside of that I struggle to think of anything that isn't vintage or more esoteric. Trying to recall the horn speakers Ron liked, really tall. They're new but I haven't heard them.

Reactions: Bbock and AudioGod

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I reperesnt Gobel High End we offer the Divin Marquis they would fall in your price range. you can read about them on our website www.bendingwaveusa.com
THey are 100 percent made in Germany, can be used with a variety of amplifiers, are 92 db efficient .
Check them out

Audio 1

Jul 18, 2022
Naples, FL
I believe the current MSRP of the Magico M3 is $94,000.

Afveep

Jun 9, 2010
www.xtremefidelity.net
Reactions: AudioGod

matakana

Aug 26, 2020
UK

Mark212121

May 23, 2022
Hello @AudioGod. What is you partnering equipment, particularly the amplification? When I was auditioning for speakers last year. I heard, among others, Stenheim Alumine 3, and really enjoyed them. I think Stenheim Alumine 5 SE would just about be within your budget, and I think they are not too difficult a load. If I had had the budget, I think I would have been prepared to just purchase them if the price was right, as I had enjoyed the Stenheim Alumine 3 so much. Other speakers I auditioned were YG Acoustics Sonja 2.2 (excellent, but expensive - GBP c.95k), Rockport Avior II (my brother liked them more than I did). The Cygnus is the next speaker upwards in the line. I also listened to Vimberg Mino, but these are not really good enough for you. Vimberg speakers are made by Tidal, so as @2fastdriving said, the Contriva 3 may be worth considering.

With reference to your 3 selections, my preference would be the Wilson Alexia V, although I haven't heard them. I agree with Ron about the Focal speakers, and have always thought Magico speakers would be a bit fatiguing after a while. This is my impression after hearing various models of Magico speakers at hi-fi shows.

Good luck with your search.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
I would say, that in this decade a speaker Design Team should be capable to realize a speaker with e reasonable efficiency , some of the shown speaker do remind me more on speaker concepts from prior year 2000.... , still good, but requiring a lot of amplifier power.
Coming from there I would recommend the

Stenheim Alumine 5

as a highly competitive speaker with a real 94db efficiency .

Unknown-1.jpeg

This speaker has given me a lot of beautiful hours of music, powered from 2x30w tubes up to 2x 900w solid state.
If you like a fast and dynamic speaker which is more close to the best horns, you should give them an audition.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
There you go , a wrong start already :)

Agree. You have to listen yourself.

At best reviews can tell you what to listen for in a component, but it's still up to your preferences and priorities if it's for you.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I agree with Ron about the Focal speakers, and have always thought Magico speakers would be a bit fatiguing after a while. This is my impression after hearing various models of Magico speakers at hi-fi shows.

Shows with their suboptimal conditions are not necessarily the best opportunity to judge sound. Unless it's good! -- But if it's bad or mediocre the impression is mostly meaningless since there can be so many factors involved.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I own the Alexia Vs and I think they are really special.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing