Manila, Philippines

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
That's really lame (and desperate) on Lue's part. Celts played a great second half, everybody making plays. I love Marcus Smart.

Smart is one guy who, when he shoots, we say No, no, no... Then, swish! We say, Yes! When he takes a foul shot down with seconds left and game is on the line, one fan said his cat couldn't bear to watch and left the room. But, his assists, rebounds, steals and loose ball recoveries are what makes him - smart, no pun intended.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Here is an interesting pic. The boy, age 6 then, is Jayson Tatum. And the guy behind him is LeBron. I thought I read his idol was Kobe.

DNE_oeoXcAAxPhG.jpg

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
I've never seen the Warriors play as poorly as they have through the first three quarters tonight.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
And OTOH, the Rockets played like their regular season selves, burning rubber with their fast paced game and dazzling ball movement. The difference now is they played like the Warriors, in that 5 Rockets scored in double figures and were blazing all throughout the game. PJ Tucker, I never even knew he can shoot 3s, I thought he was an inside bruiser. And Harden had 'only' 27 but the others showed up, specially Eric Gordon. The Warriors just couldn't catch up with these shooters, while they themselves shot poorly, notably Klay with only 8 points. One incredible stat I saw was that in Game 1, Harden dribbled 500+ times, while 3 Warriors combined for the same amount of dribbles. How's that for ball hogging. Game 2 I imagine he dribbled maybe half of that. Warriors play well at home, they got a split in Houston, and if they win the next 2 they will have a comfortable 3-1 lead. We have a long 3 day break till Game 3 for both conferences.

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Smart is one guy who, when he shoots, we say No, no, no... Then, swish! We say, Yes! When he takes a foul shot down with seconds left and game is on the line, one fan said his cat couldn't bear to watch and left the room. But, his assists, rebounds, steals and loose ball recoveries are what makes him - smart, no pun intended.

I just love the tone he sets and backs up w/his play.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-to-rikers-island-the-tragedy-of-fly-williams

For those who want to read a pretty cool story about a guy my age, who I played against high school, who played for Madison HS and was the 2nd best BBall player in NY at the time and possibly could have been the best to have ever come out of NY had he been "normal", this gives some insight into the crazy but amazingly talent of Fly Williams. I will tell you, when we would play against him, sometimes we would just be frozen watching how awesome he was and how amazing and funny his off the court antics were after making an amazing move.

A real wasted talent

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
That was an interesting article. The man had talent. Too bad things worked out the way they did for him.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I wish I could see some of his clips in his prime, or youth. What a sad ending for such a talented player.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Celts got crushed yesterday. They are a different team on the road but fortunately they have home court advantage

I believe todays game with he GSW and Rockets is the pivotal game. If Rockets win today I don't believe Warriors can regroup to win the western conference . When is Curry going to show up or is his injury still a problem

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
That was an interesting article. The man had talent. Too bad things worked out the way they did for him.

He wasn't the only one. There was actually a kid on Madison who was better than him, 6'3" and I only got to see him play once. Some issue with knives, drugs and death unfortunately prevented him from ever playing again. He was 2 years older.

Here is another coincidental story about Lloyd (World B) Free. We played them every year. Lloyd was a year behind me. A skinny kid who was very good. Well after I graduated I saw him at "Foster Park" where many of us played, after he had attended Guilford College in NC and he was literally a beast. I have never seen a transition like that in my life. He was literally unrecognizable and had moved into a different realm of talent.

However, that is not the funny part of the story.

Guess who was a starting forward for the same team, Canarsie HS, not Guilford that is? Howard Schultz of Starbucks fame. Actually a pretty good ballplayer.

Sorry if I digress with some of these stories.

Last edited:

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
I wish I could see some of his clips in his prime, or youth. What a sad ending for such a talented player.

He was definitely the "flashiest" I ever saw and/or played against BUT THE Best, IMHO, was Bernard King. Incredibly talented HS ballplayer and totally unstoppable. One of the smartest players I ever had the pleasure of playing with. He understood the game as well as anyone, even in HS and knew how to use his talents better than any. When his brother came up the ranks, Albert, and was being hailed as the GREATEST and people were saying he was going to blow away all of Bernard's records, I knew it was never going to happen. You had to play against and with Bernard to understand how good he was. In the school yard he was even better. Too bad he destroyed his knee when with the Knicks; yet despite that, people still got to see about 70% of what that guy could really do.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Celts got crushed yesterday. They are a different team on the road but fortunately they have home court advantage

I believe todays game with he GSW and Rockets is the pivotal game. If Rockets win today I don't believe Warriors can regroup to win the western conference . When is Curry going to show up or is his injury still a problem

Horrible game. I actually fell asleep. The Preakness was much more exciting.

I can't see the Warriors losing. So Steve, since I am WRONG about every prediction, bet your lungs against my pick. I also thought the Cavs were going to walk away with the series. They are obviously still alive, but my pick, obviously had some MAJOR flaws in it.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
However, that is not the funny part of the story.

Guess who was a starting forward for the same team, Canarsie HS, not Guilford that is? Howard Schultz of Starbucks fame. Actually a pretty good ballplayer.

Sorry if I digress with some of these stories.

I wonder if they will ever forgive him in Seattle for selling the Sonics to the oil boys from Oklahoma?

I visited Starbucks headquarters in Seattle a couple times over the years but never met Howard.

I do remember way back when visiting Seattle (maybe pre-Starbucks or early on) and seeing these ramshackle little buildings on gas station plots selling coffee. Seemed very strange to me then.....but the coffee was very good when we finally decided to try it.

Last edited:

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
It would be unrealistic to expect a 3-0 lead for the C's against the defending Eastern Con Champions, with a mighty payroll of $134m and with a player who can score 50 points any time. Plus the road record of the C's is pretty bad. So if ever they are going to steal a game, the best chance is game 4, maybe via OT and a couple of points. Other than that, it's not going to look good for the C's if it all comes down to a best of 3. The lack of experience might show. That's where all those scribes who are now 'predicting' for the C's to trade Kyrie will start to back pedal.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
He was definitely the "flashiest" I ever saw and/or played against BUT THE Best, IMHO, was Bernard King. Incredibly talented HS ballplayer and totally unstoppable. One of the smartest players I ever had the pleasure of playing with. He understood the game as well as anyone, even in HS and knew how to use his talents better than any. When his brother came up the ranks, Albert, and was being hailed as the GREATEST and people were saying he was going to blow away all of Bernard's records, I knew it was never going to happen. You had to play against and with Bernard to understand how good he was. In the school yard he was even better. Too bad he destroyed his knee when with the Knicks; yet despite that, people still got to see about 70% of what that guy could really do.

I remember Bernard King in those 80s playoffs game against Bird and the Celtics. He was a scoring machine and was the NBA's leading scorer for the 1984 - 85 season. Awesome player.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
Five former Clippers on the Rockets and Warriors -

Rockets - Chris Paul, Eric Gordon (traded to New Orleans for CP3), and Luc Mbah a Moute (a true Prince from Cameroon).

Warriors - Shaun Livingston and Nick Young (Although I happily give the Lakers more credit - blame? - for Nick than the Clippers).

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Five former Clippers on the Rockets and Warriors -

Rockets - Chris Paul, Eric Gordon (traded to New Orleans for CP3), and Luc Mbah a Moute (a true Prince from Cameroon).

Warriors - Shaun Livingston and Nick Young (Although I happily give the Lakers more credit - blame? - for Nick than the Clippers).

Hey

Swaggy P makes the 3's when needed and of all players in the NBA he has mastered the art of being able to draw 3 point foul shots :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing