Lampizator Big 7

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
There is no perfect tube for all of us. Read and try is the best way to find your audio nervona. I have tried many combos.
There are reviews on audio circle and s few other places. Welcome to the club. I do not know of any dac that has a following like the lampi group has. Tube rolling is fun with the reward of Heston you beloved music like for the first time with each roll. There details not heard before in the proportion changes due to rolling. Just go from a eml 45 to 101d its dramatic and great both ways.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
But if Lukasz prefers the 101 then why he sends the B7 to reviewers and shows with the 45? No sense.

The 101d WE replicas are more expensive and its HIS taste, anybody else could have their preference. He sends units with stock tubes, as he must believe that the quality will stand on its own.

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
The 101d WE replicas are more expensive and its HIS taste, anybody else could have their preference. He sends units with stock tubes, as he must believe that the quality will stand on its own.

The stock Big 7 comes with the 101d and then you can pick up the 101d WE replicas. Or does the Big 7 come with the 101d WE replicas out of the box?

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
B7 is with eml 45 solid plate or treasue series white ceramic 101d. Only GG comes with WE replica 101ds.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I am not sure. For me I think a 45 is more mid stream while a 101 is hyper detailed at one end. But of luk ships woth them it's from feed back. While system synergy rules it's really any tube that gives us a reality we know and and like.
I have tubes that run the gamut and it's all good really. And unlike any outher dac the groups that follow help all us quickly learn about future tube choices.

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Kindly invite, you will have a chance to listen to the second one which sounds good;)

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Hi Marslo,
Just had Bonzo and SOM over for a listen to the GG on my Duos. Bonzo said nice things about the sound.
As you too have the La Fontaine as I have what do you think about Lampizator PCM by comparison and do you run direct or through the AA pre?
Cheers
Blue

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi Marslo,
Just had Bonzo and SOM over for a listen to the GG on my Duos. Bonzo said nice things about the sound.
As you too have the La Fontaine as I have what do you think about Lampizator PCM by comparison and do you run direct or through the AA pre?
Cheers
Blue

Just one point to add to that. Barry, when you compare PCM, at least on my experience, a 10 percent improvement in vocal or chamber might end up as 90 percent on complex orchestra. Please note that I did not want to upgrade my level 5 when I was playing opera and rock, but then I plugged in mussorgsky and instantly made up my mind.

So, when we state comparisons and preferences important to state our music preferences.

Quite different things putting in fifty instruments simultaneously playing at sister volume levels as compared to a handful of instruments at a steady level

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Hi Blue58,

If 58 means the year you are born, we have more in common than Duo Omega, La Fontaine and Lampi, I am born in 59:)
I tried my big 7 directly to Ayon Crossfire ( integrated) and trough the AA pre. Both ways the pcm playback compared to La Fontaine missed warmth, timbre and emotional impact. For my understanding this is a matter of integration with the setup and personal preferences.
I spoke to Lukasz and we decided to replace Jupiter caps with duelund. I also ordered a mullard rectifier GZ 34. Hope this will help and the pcm playback will improve. As per now I consider La Fontaine to outperform Lampi with pcm, the sound is just more coherent and organic.
For your information Bruno Ginard created recently new brand vermeer audio and bought rights and technology of La Fontaine and La Source . In few months the upgrade of La Fontaine will be available , dsd capability including.
http://vermeeraudio.com/en/pages/6-vermeer-audio-en

Last edited:

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Thank you Marslo, yes 58 is a long time ago.

I thought I was missing something but you confirm what I am hearing. I did read the Vermeeraudio takeover but suspect the DSD upgrade will either be expensive or lose the PCM quality we love. Can not imagine that there are many owners that would upgrade.

I'll continue evaluating the GG with more complex music as Bonzo suggests this may be an area where greater difference is heard.
All good fun and Tube rolling is definitely the way forward.

Cheers

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
bonzo75,
Funny thing, I also evaluate the quality of dsd playback with Mussorgski's Pictures at an exhibition under Fritz Reiner.Here lampi has no contest imho.
To compare pcm playback I have my favourite Hrx from RR " The young person's guide " by Benjamin Britten. Amazing with W20 and La Fontaine , the slam is extraordinary( pls check the final, last minute) one cannot have it with dsd , again imo.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi Marisuz yes I love the Reiner pictures, I believe Lloyd is a fan too. I also like Reiner schehrezade from living stereo

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Marisuz yes I love the Reiner pictures, I believe Lloyd is a fan too. I also like Reiner schehrezade from living stereo

Hi...i do have and like the Reiner Pictures and have heard several others, but (by far) my two favorites are:
Orchestral:
Mussorgsky - Sokhiev.jpg

Piano:
Mussorgsky - Pletnev.jpg

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Will get those

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Will get those

I hope you enjoy them. They are both great, and there is a lot to 'chew on' in terms of the contemplative approach they use when delivering the power of Mussorgsky's music...they really take care in building their crescendos and power, and they seem to really watch EVERY detail in the orchestra when playing the passages so that, relative to [some] other versions, i really hear various musical lines going on at once with various levels of dynamics.

Some of that (particularly the Sokhiev) is the great recording...very balanced, very organic. it is a remarkably good CD (imho). There were many times over the years when Pictures was my favorite classical composition of all. It certainly ranks up there with me still today.

Nevertheless, its all personal and i have heard far from all of the versions...so let me know what you think!

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Here is the message I sent to Lukasz after having received my big 7 with duelund caps( hope Lukasz has nothing against revealing it)
" pls don't hurt your baby and do not install ever jupiter caps, only duelund:)"
Lukasz installed duelund I had in my dsd dac so fully burned .

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Here is the message I sended to Lukasz after receiving my big 7 with duelund caps( hope Lukasz has nothing against revealing it)
" pls don't hurt your baby and do not install ever jupiter caps, only duelund:)"
Lukasz installed duelund I had in my dsd dac so fully burned .

Hi both I and the distributor in the UK (who has been into classical for years and is also a jazz reviewer) are heavily pro duelunds.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Hi both I and the distributor in the UK (who has been into classical for years and is also a jazz reviewer) are heavily pro duelunds.

That's what I have in my DSD DAC. No problems with classical here!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing