Lampizator DSD DAC

MLGrado

Mar 19, 2014
Thanks for the post. I have read about this. But I did not have time to try it as yet.
My way for now us on an iMac with audivana
It's the best I have going with my B7 so far.
Regarding PCM and DSD. For me I am do happy with the PCM as is
And have not tried up sampling.
Al

Yeah, on Mac you are kind of stuck. Sorry, didn't even think of that. And yes, PCM certainly doesn't need a conversion. Conversion to DSD makes it sound different. Not necessarily better.

But for people who use the DSD only lampizator, and who use Windows, give ASIO proxy a shot.

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
May I suggest you use ASIO-proxy instead of using Jriver's internal converter? ASIO proxy is part of the Foobar pool of software, but can be used with Jriver or any software that uses ASIO. In my opinion, its conversion of PCM to DSD is superior to Jriver. It can also upsample or downsample DSD.

Are there some instructions somewhere that illustrate how to accomplish this?

MLGrado

Mar 19, 2014
Download ASIO proxy, latest version from Soundforge from this link. ( I am not sure if you need to have foobar installed first, you may or may not.)

http://sourceforge.net/projects/sacddecoder/files/foo_dsd_asio/

Install ASIO proxy on computer.

In Jriver, under AUDIO DEVICES, you will have an option for

foo_dsd_asio. Choose this as your driver.

Then, click on DEVICE SETTINGS. Then OPEN DRIVER CONTROL PANEL.

Under this, select your ACTUAL asio driver, if your device has one. If not, you will need ASIO4ALL.
Select DoP or Native for the type of DSD transmission protocol your DAC needs. There are also options for ExD and DCS(***See note at end of post****)

Be sure and DE-SELECT DoP as transmission format anywhere else, EXCEPT for the Asio Proxy options.

Then you can play with various types of SDM modulation, data rates etc. I tend to stay away from SDM A and C, as I can still hear some low level quantization noise in the playback! If I use 32fp (floating point) mode, though, the noise goes away, making me wonder if it is an issue with my computer not having enough horsepower to do the computations in integer mode. SDM B is VERY syrupy and lush, almost synthetic. I personally find SDM D to be the best overall. But experiment for yourself! It is fun!

****** Note that if your DAC supports and you choose Asio Native mode, asio native does NOT support 'illegal' data rates with DSD, So you are stuck with 2.8mhz, 5.6mhz, etc. Which means you will NOT be able to use any PCM rates that are a multiple of 48khz.

44.1, 88.2, 176.4, 352.8 work perfectly. 48,96,192,384 don't. To use those rates, you must choose DoP as your transmission format. But if you choose DoP, note you may lose the ability to upsample to DSD256, depending on your DAC.

It may be a little more trouble, but the results are worth it, in my opinion.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Very cool my only issue is on a vacation in a another state. Keep me posted and I will post when I get back.
Al

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
Two questions for people familiar with the Lampi DACs ...

(1) If I feed a Lampi via the spdif outputs of an Aurender W20, does the Lampi automatically switch sample rates for DSD files? My playlists commingle PCM and dsf files. (I would not be feed the Lampi via the built in USB input.)
(2) How "noisy" are the units, particularly the L7? My speakers are over 105db efficient, so even minor residual background noise can be problematic in my system.

Thanks!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The lampi distributor in the UK is a horn fan so all his speakers are over 100 db and they are fine.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011

(1) If I feed a Lampi via the spdif outputs of an Aurender W20, does the Lampi automatically switch sample rates for DSD files? My playlists commingle PCM and dsf files. (I would not be feed the Lampi via the built in USB input.)
(2) How "noisy" are the units, particularly the L7? My speakers are over 105db efficient, so even minor residual background noise can be problematic in my system.

Thanks!

Yes, the Lampi can autosense between DSD rates. Not sure about autoswitching between DSD and PCM, as I have a DSD only Dac. AL has a B7 and says it dead quiet, when answering the same question for another pal who has 105db speakers.

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland

Thanks!
Hi Bruce,

Yes, I can confirm- as the owner of Avantgardes Duo Omega which have 107 db efficiency - that lampi dsd dac is very quiet.
Nevertheless, when plugged in one can hear the small residual noise of the unit itself, at least when you approach the dac very close. That noise is not amplified and does not go to speakers.
Imo, the most important element with efficient speakers responsable for the level of the noise floor is the amp and not a converter.
And one more thing Bruce- why you do not connect your W 20 via usb which is outstanding?
Rgds
Mariusz

Last edited:

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
Mariusz, thanks.

Connecting the W20 via USB would be fine, and provide for greater sample rate coverage.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Heard the new Big 7 yesterday. Awesome, and now on this you can tube roll both the 2A3s and the 45s. 2A3 appear to have more bottom end but 45s are more open. Tough to choose between them but good thing is one can have both tubes and decide over time which ones suit which type of music

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Yup I have that DAC now - the same one bonzo heard.

Been playing with EML 45s, Shuguang and Electro Harmonic 2A3s today.

I had the two box L7 a while ago too. Here's a quick and not so good pic. This thing is bigger in the flesh than it looks in the photo.

Attachments

• DSC01297.jpg
    DSC01297.jpg
    484.1 KB · Views: 1,282

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Justin - welcome to this forum! People here will surely love your system, so do post it under the Member's Gallery

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Just joined for the Lampy thread(s) so a system post is unlikely here. So many forums, so little time:)

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I will be bringing the Lampi DSD DAC to RMAF this year. Will be connected to a MacBook playing DSD files via Audirvana and then going into a Cavalli Liquid Gold Headphone amp. The best combo I feel available today.

RM. 8000

Nevillekapadia

VIP/Donor
Aug 30, 2010
I will be bringing the Lampi DSD DAC to RMAF this year. Will be connected to a MacBook playing DSD files via Audirvana and then going into a Cavalli Liquid Gold Headphone amp. The best combo I feel available today.

RM. 8000

Bruce, which set of headphones will you be using for the demo?
Thanks
Neville

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Never mind about mk ll. They have two slash marks in front of the name on the web site. I thought that was indicating a new model.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing