Zero Distortion: Tango Time

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Tango, what do you think of Reference Recordings music albums playing on your rig?
https://referencerecordings.com/catalog/
I do like a surprise and the Fanfare RR surprised me. So I like this album. But if I listen to it a lot I probably get bored too like repeating delicious food...get sick of it even. I never played back to back RR and tbh I have not much experience with RR. Only RR albums, I recalled, I have are this one, the Nojima Play Liszt and Ruggiero Ricci/Keith Clark violin that Bonzo asked why I don't play. I am in Pattaya taking my boy to water park (not going to girly bar sorry ;)) so I will play it next week. If ddk says RR has formulaic sound, I do believes him. So does other label like Fone, etc. Recently I bought 3 very new AP45 just to proof to myself that they were remastered to their new formulaic sound to capture audiophiles listening trend. People can use these recordings and get a wow from just about any decent system. Tape label is also formulaic if we want to go there. You listen to a dozen of Ultra Analog Recording you will know their signature. But why shouldn't there be. They are all Ed Pong's recording. I am only 50 not 60++ like ddk and Gian :p. And I mixed my listening with diversity from the General's records and my own finding of old records and tapes. So I dont get bored easily like ddk..hehe.

Tang

Last edited:
Reactions: NorthStar

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Well, as far as I know the RR catalogue has over 150 tittles. Pretending that 99% (your lazy shorthand for “vast majority.”) is "audiophile crapola" was very unfair IMHO. RR is one of the audiophile labels that brings excellent music to audiophile recordings.

Can I ask what other audiophile labels make you seriously cringe?

Sorry to insist, but I have spent many hours during decades enjoying great music in a fantastic hobby with the help of audiophile labels, surely mixed between many other non audiophiles ones. My preferences changed along time, but my respect for what I consider great work, even benchmarks of audiophile evolution, still keeps the same.
Most of us stop after maximum the first dozen or so titles of a label that suck, you don't seriously expect anyone to continue buying what they don't like or comb through a hundred more?

david

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
David, favorite music albums from your favorite record labels you recommend with high replay value? ...Just few labels and genres.

* Tang is right in his above post; each record music label has their own distinctive recording technique, signature, formula. Us, the music listeners we decide which ones we like better.
I'm a Channel Classics type of guy, I'm an ECM type of guy. I love Opera, Tango and Blues.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Well, as far as I know the RR catalogue has over 150 tittles. Pretending that 99% (your lazy shorthand for “vast majority.”) is "audiophile crapola" was very unfair IMHO. RR is one of the audiophile labels that brings excellent music to audiophile recordings.

Can I ask what other audiophile labels make you seriously cringe?

Sorry to insist, but I have spent many hours during decades enjoying great music in a fantastic hobby with the help of audiophile labels, surely mixed between many other non audiophiles ones. My preferences changed along time, but my respect for what I consider great work, even benchmarks of audiophile evolution, still keeps the same.

Hi Micro,

Then we are very different human beings, which is good because diversity of culture, thought, religion, etc is what brings colour to the world :)

Enjoy the audiophile recordings.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
It’s been really great in this thread to primarily focus on great music and great performance rather than just celebrating sonics.

Few of us start with exposure to a great system so I figure most of us actually really start with music as the genesis and then early on move towards sonics.

Eventually you realise that sonics can be a short lived tease if the music isn’t underneath it and the real truth just lays in great performance and music.

I do remember being especially proud of my MOFIs and Sheffield Labs back in the 80’s but I discovered early on that an audiophile recording with just rubbish music or mediocre performance got sidelined after just one play and that great music and great performance ultimately trumps good sonics absolutely every time.

The extraordinary performances of great music make recording signatures a non-issue. The reverie in a really magical musical performance just hijacks all analysis.

I played Igor Levit’s Bach Goldberg variations today and the sonics weren’t what I was listening to. It was Levit’s absolute connection to the music that I was experiencing. Passionless performance no matter how sonically impressive just sucks. Just sayin.

Last edited:

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
It’s been really great in this thread to primarily focus on great music and great performance rather than just celebrating sonics.

Few of us start with exposure to a great system so I figure most of us actually just start with music as the genesis and then early on move towards sonics. Eventually you realise that sonics can be a short lived tease and the real truth just lays in great performance and music.

I do remember being especially proud of my MOFIs and Sheffield Labs back in the 80’s but I discovered early on that an audiophile recording with just rubbish music or mediocre performance got sidelined after just one play and that great music and great performance ultimately trumps good sonics absolutely every time.

The extraordinary performances of great music make recording signatures a non-issue. The reverie in a really magical musical performance just hijacks all analysis.

I played Igor Levit’s Bach Goldberg variations today and the sonics weren’t what I was listening to. It was his connection to the music that I was experiencing. Passionless performance no matter how sonically impressive just sucks. Just sayin.

Absolutely

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
This is an example of a not so good digital recording that the performance alone keep me from throwing in a junk bin. It is digitally recorded. I hear piano sounded like I was high on hash. Very unnatural. A stronger stroke of a key would be pronounced with illumination while on quieter passage it sounds rather dull and blury without detail or any nuances.

R-3570868-1475951522-5217.jpeg.jpg

Last edited:

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Don't go up in smoke ... try this one:

Horowitz in Moscow 419 499-1 .jpg

DG 419 499-1

It's digital too - I don't know what you'll think of the sonics, but the performance is pretty amazing - an electric atmosphere with a very live Moscovite audience who knows the music and loves Horowitz.

Reactions: zerostargeneral

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I have both, agree.

Dthagerty@aol.com

VIP/Donor
Dec 31, 2015
Solana Beach, CA
I'm listening to that RR Copland album (CD) right now, and I enjoy it, very.
Happy First Day of Summer to all music lovers of all ages and genres.
The best is yet to come ...

A little because of you Tango, first.
I love this recording, too. My favorite version of Copland’s Symphony #3. I listen to it frequently and this recording always grabs my attention and engages me emotionally.

I also agree in general that many of RR’s other recordings don’t engage me musically.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I love this recording, too. My favorite version of Copland’s Symphony #3. I listen to it frequently and this recording always grabs my attention and engages me emotionally.

I also agree in general that many of RR’s other recordings don’t engage me musically.

It varies (RR); some music performances involve some audiophiles more than others.
It is mainly a Classical record label, with few Jazz & Blues albums.
Also, some days are better than others on our predispositions.
I do agree that there is a signature recording sound; of course with Keith O. Johnson.
We all know his love for expanded dynamics and his use of the [HDCD] technology from many years ago. ...Now with some on SACD (DSD), and of course hires audio files. ...The LPs.

I think the music performances take precedence over quality sound recording.
Both are audiophile attributes but from a different perspective.

Anyway I too like that Copland recording and I was glad to see Tang including it in his music repertoire.

* Other music record labels I like; Chesky (varied music genres), Analogue Productions Originals, AudioQuest Music (Blues) & dmp (Jazz)...just to name four.
There are many more audiophile music record labels...Classical music, symphonies, orchestral, Operas, chamber, etc.

** Tango is bringing music that is . . . high class value; some affordable, others less.
I just love this thread...it's peaceful and rewarding and musically educative...excellent for the brain, for the culture, for the advancement, for the development of all the children...from the wombs of women to the souls vagabonding above and below...all ages, living and about to be born and gone. Thinking of the departed I love and spinning sweet music for them. ...For our children's children.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Tang, I just got the Fanfare LP, and it blows the HDCD out of the water. This is a CD I've played on many systems over the years, including the Magico Q7, and it sounds nothing close to the LP version in here. Impressive does not begin to describe it! The gong is fantastic, beautiful timbre and body, and the bass drum even more realistic than the HDCD. Thanks for posting your video.

Reactions: Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Tang, I just got the Fanfare LP, and it blows the HDCD out of the water. This is a CD I've played on many systems over the years, including the Magico Q7, and it sounds nothing close to the LP version in here. Impressive does not begin to describe it! The gong is fantastic, beautiful timbre and body, and the bass drum even more realistic than the HDCD. Thanks for posting your video.
I have both as well and agree.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Says my son, the musician who plays tuba, trombone, euphonium: "beautiful tone, perfect pitch, love the french horn, they didn't miss a note, but... right there... he broke that note a bit. This sounds so good." This is why we are in this hobby!

Last edited:

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I remember being very disappointed with the LP as it didn't have the realistic weight of the bass drum that the CD had...

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I remember being very disappointed with the LP as it didn't have the realistic weight of the bass drum that the CD had...

it's a digitally sourced Lp.....so this will come down to particular playback systems and not really just the media. and if, like me, the CD has been a reference for years, then there is (could be) bias regarding that. it's how you grew to expect it to sound.

the digital <-> vinyl equation is variable in every system, as are our tastes.

i always loved the opening cut on CD and played it loud and often.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Ian, you are welcome to come and listen; it is jaw dropping, and the gong alone is so real, unlike the HDCD. The Vivaldi 2.0 couldn't do this either.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing