Your favorite World War II movies

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Here's a good one! What are your favorite movies set during the second world war? We've got almost seven decades of film to choose from ;)

Just a few of my favorites

Battle of Midway
Battle of the Bulge
Schindler's List
Empire of the Sun
The Thin Red Line
Stalingrad
The Great Escape
The Dirty Dozen
Inglorious Basterds
The Eagle Has Landed

Here's a good one! What are your favorite movies set during the second world war? We've got almost seven decades of film to choose from ;)

Just a few of my favorites

Battle of Midway
Battle of the Bulge
Schindler's List
Empire of the Sun
The Thin Red Line
Stalingrad
The Great Escape
The Dirty Dozen
Inglorious Basterds
The Eagle Has Landed

Agree with all of the above (have em all) but heck IMO you left out the best one

Saving Private Ryan

Patton
In Harm's Way
They Were Expendable
Stalag 17
The Longest Day
D-Day Sixth of June
Twelve O'clock High
Von Ryan's Express
The Train
The Americanisation of Emily
Mrs Miniver
The Best Years Of Our Lives
From Here To Eternity
Charlotte Grey, to name a few.

Last edited:
From the Pacific theatre

Tora, Tora, Tora
Bridge On The River Kwai

Although IMO the best movie about WW2 did not take place until 3 years later...

Judgment At Nuremberg

Agree with all of the above (have em all) but heck IMO you left out the best one

Saving Private Ryan

Oh yes. It must have been because of Vin Diesel with hair ;)

I also left out Patton (Thanks Roger) George C. Scott was something else. When I saw the real Patton, I thought GCS was better!

Here's a more obscure film I liked to watch a lot growing up. Sink the Bismarck!

I haven't seen most of the movies on Roger's list and I haven't seen U-571 either. I'm really liking this thread!

I haven't seen most of the movies on Roger's list and I haven't seen U-571 either. I'm really liking this thread!

Jack,

The movies I listed are all worth watching and each one is a classic in some regard. My ultimate favorites from the list of ones that you should check out are, They were expendable,the best years of our lives,from here to eternity,the train,Americanisation of Emily, and Mrs. Miniver. I always thought that Charlotte Grey was very good and I like the soundtrack too. I would have listed the Great Escape also.

Apocalypse Now although not truly WWll is an all time masterpiece, especially The Director's Cut

yep and add Full Metal Jacket to that short list.

I like these ones.....The Guns of Navarone, The Battle of Britain, Where Eagles Dare, Schindler's List ,Force 10 from Navarone and The Sands of Iwo Jima

Nice thread :)

I hop on this board once a day and click on “Whats New.” It’s nice to see an informative and fun to read thread. Sorry to say but many new threads are the same old sour grapes… how can it cost so much, reviewers are shills, nothing sounds like live, tubes vs… I would kill each of these threads if I was a moderator. But then there would be no new content.

I watch FMJ once a year. It's like three movies in one; the drill sergeant movie, the base reporter movie and the sniper on patrol movie.

I also agree with Steve, Apocalypse Now DC is one of the greatest movies ever made. Surely on my top ten list.

Peter B.

"Enemy at the Gates" is also good. I loved the "Dam Busters" (made at a time when real actors like Michael Redgrave still existed), and "Untergang" was just monumental. Let us not forget classics like "Casablanca" and Orson Welles' "The Third Man", which are not strictly about the war but are infused by it.

I like some of the more recent movies. My favorites in this list are Hart's War (Bruce Willis) and The Great Raid (James Franco).

Valkyrie
Hart's War
Jakob the Liar
Defiance
The Great Raid
Windtalkers
Band of Brothers series

There is another one that hasn't been mentioned yet that when adjusted for inflation is the third highest grossing movie of all time! Can you guess it without looking it up?

Hint: It is on Blu-ray.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing