Your All Time Favorite Preamplifiers?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The best SS preamp i had 30 years ago was Dennesen Gold and now CH L1with X1

The best tube i had ANJ M10 and Audiotekne 9501

But the best absolutly i had and was stupid to sell was Dissanayake Reference

Here line preamp with phono MM and external power supply for line and phono

This seems very unlikely. Completely different philosophies there. The pic does not show any parts manufactured later than around 1980 and lots from much earlier times.

Yes, I was surprised to read Gian60's post...it certainly SEEMS like he was saying the 'best absolutely he had' was the Dissanayake Reference.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Dissanayake was the best tube preamp listened in my life and i had and listened Kamasutra 8/10 years ago,L1X1 are a perfect match with my favorites amp M1 and don’t know if Dissanayake can be a good march with M1

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Dissanayake was the best tube preamp listened in my life and i had and listened Kamasutra 8/10 years ago,L1X1 are a perfect match with my favorites amp M1 and don’t know if Dissanayake can be a good march with M1
And then someday you will have CHM10! And you will go another level up!

Reactions: gian60

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
The best SS preamp i had 30 years ago was Dennesen Gold and now CH L1with X1
that dual mono jc 80 gold with seperate power supply a john curl design?
80aaa.jpg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Cary SLP-98P tube preamplifier is a great cheap wonderful sounding preamp - I say this as it sounded better than the VTL 7.5 preamp I owned which was floored with tube noise for any amp over 26db.

my two fav pre amps are the conrad johnson Prem16 and GAT. both just make music.

Reactions: paolo

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
CJ GAT 2 is also one of my favorite preamps of all time. I am most curious, Shane, what you might have heard about Jeff Fischel's latest flagship preamp, the ART88?

rob

Jul 11, 2012
Vaccuum State RTP 3D is one the best i have heard in my system.
Fast, open, clean and dynamic. Not edgy or cold just perfect tonal balance for my tastes.

Reactions: christoph and dan31

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
CJ GAT 2 is also one of my favorite preamps of all time. I am most curious, Shane, what you might have heard about Jeff Fischel's latest flagship preamp, the ART88?

Haven't heard anything Lloyd.

I wonder if Bill or Lew had anything to so with it's development?

Going by the pretty boring looks, Lew had nothing to do with the chassis design. Reminds me of Sonic Frontiers. I don't mind the gold cover.

Attachments

• rs=w_1200,h_1200.jpeg
    rs=w_1200,h_1200.jpeg
    115.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
i like sonic frontiers two color design black/silver. no electrolytic capacitor in the audio part except for the heating voltage tubes exemplary will work error-free for a long time. superb sounding. image.jpg 1429457-a3c5c716-sonic-frontiers-sfl2.jpg 1439622-9ccfaf00-sonic-frontiers-sfl2-preamp-amp-sfp1-phono-amp-gold-faceplatecombo.jpg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Haven't heard anything Lloyd.

I wonder if Bill or Lew had anything to so with it's development?

Going by the pretty boring looks, Lew had nothing to do with the chassis design. Reminds me of Sonic Frontiers. I don't mind the gold cover.
I think Lew & Bill have retired out of the business? That was certainly the sense I got...but no definitive insight into that.

alfa100

Aug 29, 2014
South Africa
Ho
So I recently obtained an MSB Select DAC with two power bases. The preamp function of this DAC has been widely lauded. When I ran it thru my NAGRA HD PREAMP the sound gained body and depth of soundstage. I previously had an AESTHETIX CALLISTO ECLIPSE pre amp which was the best I had previously in my system. The Nagra HD PreAmp sounds better by far. Previous preamps included ARC Ref 3, McINtosh 500 T, and Burmester. How did it compare to using the MSB DAC Volume control?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I previously had an AESTHETIX CALLISTO ECLIPSE pre amp which was the best I had previously in my system. The Nagra HD PreAmp sounds better by far.

Please tell us more about your impressions of the sonic differences between the Callisto Eclipse and the Nagra HD preamp. Thank you.

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
GAT maybe great, but the Cj ART was SOTA in its time.
The Atma-Sphere MP-1 was SOTA at the exact same time: direct-coupled patented balanced output, noticeably more transparent and faster than a preamp using coupling caps... fully differential and balanced from phono input to main outputs, all-tube and able to drive 600 Ohms...

Realistically, we can say both were very good. But saying its 'SOTA' (as I have here) is a bit apocryphal, don't you think??

When making a statement about the state of the art, it might be helpful to say in what way: bandwidth? transparency? Ability to play the really deep bass notes that shake the building? IME top drawer preamps seem to have more in common than they do differences.

Reactions: paolo

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing