Yggdrasil variants, now in 3 flavors.

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
Was ordering something on the Schiit site and noticed some new models. Here is a summary from their site:

Now Available in Three Flavors
Yes. Now, Yggdrasil is available in three different “flavors,” including two that (gasp) cost less than the original, and provide higher performance! Yes, we know. We’re super weird.

• Yggdrasil Less is More. Even better performance for lower cost. The most affordable Yggdrasil uses four TI DAC8812 16-bit D/A converters. Many think this is the best sounding flavor, hence less bits, more better…less is more.
  • Yggdrasil More is Less. The best-measuring integrated multibit DAC, ever. This Yggy uses four TI DAC11001 20-bit D/A converters. If you’re one who thinks multibit DACs can’t measure well, this one’s for you—approaching -120dB THD+N.
  • Yggdrasil OG. The Yggdrasil you’ve loved for years, same as it ever was. The original Yggdrasil with four AD5791 20-bit D/A converters remains in the line, because it provides an exceptionally engaging performance.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
There is a well-written review of the Less is More (LIM) by Joe Whip on Audiophilestyle, as well as an extended discussion of LIM vs OG in the comment section:

Reactions: Mikem53

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
There is a well-written review of the Less is More (LIM) by Joe Whip on Audiophilestyle, as well as an extended discussion of LIM vs OG in the comment section:

I read the reviews and your comments as well. I have the GS version which is the analog 1 boards in a new chassis with the latest firmware. I upgraded to the unison USB. I prefer the bite of the analog 1 to the 2 . I thought the 2 was too smoothed over. The unison made a huge difference for me.. I don’t think I would want anything “warmer” sounding.. I bought the GS for my office system but it remains in my main setup as I think it sounds perfect ! maybe someday I will check one out.. thanks for link! Enjoy the OG !

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Interesting. The last thing on my mind would have been to think that the Analog 2 sounds smoothed over compared to the Analog 1. I compared them directly, and did not hear any difference in bite. I love the bite and energy of the Yggy, it reminds me more of live music. At the same time, it can sound smooth, even romantic, when the music demands it.

But then, maybe context matters. I compared from CD transport with AES/EBU connection. Currently I use BNC from an Empirical Audio reclocker between transport and DAC. I have never used USB and computer/server.

The LIM did not sound warmer to my ears; on orchestral it actually sounded lighter, less full. It sounded softer, not warmer. I guess the softness might appeal to some analog fans.

Enjoy your Yggy as well!

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
Interesting. The last thing on my mind would have been to think that the Analog 2 sounds smoothed over compared to the Analog 1. I compared them directly, and did not hear any difference in bite. I love the bite and energy of the Yggy, it reminds me more of live music. At the same time, it can sound smooth, even romantic, when the music demands it.

But then, maybe context matters. I compared from CD transport with AES/EBU connection. Currently I use BNC from an Empirical Audio reclocker between transport and DAC. I have never used USB and computer/server.

The LIM did not sound warmer to my ears; on orchestral it actually sounded lighter, less full. It sounded softer, not warmer. I guess the softness might appeal to some analog fans.

Enjoy your Yggy as well!
I started out with the AES to the Yggy using the bel Canto reference link reclocker. The Gen 5 USB didn’t sound as good. Then I bought and installed the unison USB and it sounded better than the AES signal. When I compared the A2 to the A1 with the new chassis and firmware, the A1 just had a more raw visceral sound than the A2, seemed more intense and energized, less domesticated if you will.. it had a better synergy with my system.. one of those system dependent type attributes I was looking for.. i thought the unison upgrade was more dramatic than the A1 vs the A2. Either way, I’m still in love with the Yggy and look forward to hearing and comparing the new iterations someday.. but I’m in no rush to change out anything.. Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated!

Reactions: Al M.

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
Al, one more question.. Are you using the balanced outputs on the Yggy or the SE ? I’m using the balanced outputs into my SE amp. Using pin 2 (hot) and pin 1 and keeping pin 3 isolated. I tried the SE output but felt it was lacking, just seemed flat compared to XLR.. Not sure how the SE outputs are summed, more circuitry involved, possibly opamps , not sure. Mixed responses from Schiit on this..
Many changes to my system since.. going to try SE again .. hope others chime in on this too..

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Yes, I use an XLR > RCA cable (ZenWave D4) that DaveC made for me. It takes into account the input impedance of my preamp, on the grounding level, if I remember correctly.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing