YG Hailey 2.2, Magico M2 or Avantgarde Duo XD ?

Hi all,

Avante-Gardes.jpg
I am considering to upgrade my speakers and I would like this upgrade be “significant”.
I am currently using Avantgarde Zero TA XD that I am enjoying very much. It’s a fantastic value for money speakers ! Now I would like to keep their main strengths ( dynamics,transparency,difficult room “friendly”) and improve in terms of subtlety, decay and layering .
My room is small / medium , pretty “bright”, speakers will be relatively close from the front and rear walls and my listening is distance is pretty short (2.5m/3m).
So I am looking for a speaker with a “limited” footprint.
In terms of music, my taste is very eclectic so I am looking for speakers able to be very good “all rounder”.

I have preselected 3/4models :
- YG Hailey 2.2
- Magico M2
- Avantgarde Duo XD
- potentially TAD CR1 + subs

Duo XD would be the logical upgrade path but I feel those relatively big horns need space to breathe...
YG Hail 2.2 : was not considering them initially but after a superb (and totally random ) listening session I couldn’t exclude them any longer ! and I really like the possibility to upgrade further on ( but the 2.2 model is anyway just updated)

Also my current front gear is Accuphase C2850/A70 (have also a 300B SET amp ) and given the significant investment ahead of me, if those new speakers could be compatible with them ( even if not THE perfect match) it would help !

What do you think?

Thanks
Alex

PS : there are many other very good speakers/ brands but for many different reasons those 4models are my short list

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course I am a Magico dealer so take my opinion with a grain of salt, BUT comparing any two speakers in different rooms, cables, electronics (especially SOURCES), power, treatments etc, and having one room 2 X+ times the size of the other....well you might prefer one system/room over the other, but to single out either the speaker or any other component in either system as what is tilting that speaker/system towards your preference is cheating yourself of an accurate conclusion.

I am NOT saying that you might prefer the M2's in a different room, you might even prefer the YG more if a real head to head comparison was able to be experienced in the same size room.

You also would not necessarily need the exact same electronics and accessories for each speaker, but it would be more informative for you if you can audition in similar size rooms and match each speaker with electronics and accessories that optimize that speaker's performance.

Just my opinion....nothing more than that.

ON THE FLIP SIDE- of what I said above sometimes you just see/hear/experience a speaker or another ??? and you "just like it". A lot of times that "gut feel" is the "real deal" and more important than calculated analysis.

Last edited:
I am looking forward to the second listening session as well. I might actually also have a session today ( but the rooms/gears will be similar than yesterday).
The relative lack of bass is not a deal breaker for me even if in that price range you expect to have “everything “. My previous speakers ( except the current one) were always driving me nuts on the bass aspect so in my room should be ok.
The YG dealer is doing three brands of amp: Soulution, Pass Labs and Luxman. Going to try all of them and going to try as well the Sonja 2.3 in the same room to analyze a bit more the bass behaviour.
The YG dealer is also the REL dealer so I can potentially try with a set of REL subs...

Regarding Magico, the dealer already put his best gears during the first demo ( TOTL Audioquest cables, Nordost Kones, 3 PS20 etc...) In terms of amp ,Constellation is the best match for Magico according to him ( vs Gryphon that he is also providing).
Let’s see in a smaller room with less expensive gears...

I am looking forward to the second listening session as well. I might actually also have a session today ( but the rooms/gears will be similar than yesterday).
The relative lack of bass is not a deal breaker for me even if in that price range you expect to have “everything “. My previous speakers ( except the current one) were always driving me nuts on the bass aspect so in my room should be ok.
The YG dealer is doing three brands of amp: Soulution, Pass Labs and Luxman. Going to try all of them and going to try as well the Sonja 2.3 in the same room to analyze a bit more the bass behaviour.
The YG dealer is also the REL dealer so I can potentially try with a set of REL subs...

Regarding Magico, the dealer already put his best gears during the first demo ( TOTL Audioquest cables, Nordost Kones, 3 PS20 etc...) In terms of amp ,Constellation is the best match for Magico according to him ( vs Gryphon that he is also providing).

You are lucky that you have access to two dealers with speakers that you are interested in. So many get to only see or hear at shows or in a lot of cases not see or hear at all prior to purchase. Good luck with the next round!

Reactions: infinitely baffled
The Magico dealer was actually not too busy and did the switch to the second auditorium earlier today. So I went there.
This second auditorium is 450sq ft so still big. Front gears were still dCS ( but Rossini) and Constellation preamp/monoblock but lower range,power conditioning was less elaborate as well : we lost quite significantly in terms of depth,resolution and soundstage and being closer from the speakers in a “smaller” room did not help to improve my involvement in the music. Don’t get me wrong it was not bad but below my expectations.
I believe Magico M2 speakers needs a fuller source than dCS ( emm labs?,Lampi?,MSB?,Totaldac?) and are very demanding in terms of amp to make them disappear.

So from now on, will focus now on YG. Hoping that the second listening session will confirm the first one otherwise it is gonna be a long and challenging quest...

Reactions: Rhapsody
Moby I believe you would find Vitus Audio a better match with the M2's...more organic and tube-like. The new SIA-030 integrated is said to have a pitch black background also. But in demo's you have to make do with the equipment the Dealer has on hand.

I will be curious to learn which Pass Labs amplifier you hear the YG with. And which brand of electronics you end up preferring at that dealership.

Out of those 3 electronics, on the YGs, the Luxman is by far the best indeed. Matter of fact, I wouldn't use the other two at all. Just be aware that with a different preamp than Luxman's you can perhaps gain a little more body and warmth, and perhaps even some bass slam.
If you can afford the extra $$$, Sonja 2.2 will provide more bass, with just a slightly bigger footprint.
The REL option might be worth investigating as well, but I'd try to go for Sonja 2.2 instead of adding subs to a Hailey.

cheers,
Alex

The Magico dealer was actually not too busy and did the switch to the second auditorium earlier today. So I went there.
This second auditorium is 450sq ft so still big. Front gears were still dCS ( but Rossini) and Constellation preamp/monoblock but lower range,power conditioning was less elaborate as well : we lost quite significantly in terms of depth,resolution and soundstage and being closer from the speakers in a “smaller” room did not help to improve my involvement in the music. Don’t get me wrong it was not bad but below my expectations.
I believe Magico M2 speakers needs a fuller source than dCS ( emm labs?,Lampi?,MSB?,Totaldac?) and are very demanding in terms of amp to make them disappear.

So from now on, will focus now on YG. Hoping that the second listening session will confirm the first one otherwise it is gonna be a long and challenging quest...

Dear Moby,

First of all I must say I don't know the newest M2 from MAGICO. But almost all other models from this brand. ;-)

I have never found them to sound "lively" ==> thus a lowered musical involvement for me, as you also reported. Worst case is with SOULUTION gear. On the flip side of the coin, I had, once in my audiophile life, a very nice and involving demo of Q serie with a VAC tubed amplifier and Silbatone preamp (first model). This was in Singapore - Adelphi center in 2017.
I like Constellation and dCS (owing a Vivaldi DAC). Both brands making lively sound reproduction. If the M2 can't come to life with these upstream equipment, I doubt you will find a more lively electronic combo to pair with these M2.

YG's speakers are more "musical" but require an enormous amplifier (heavy drivers & complex filter). Try d'Agostino amp..., and you could be surprised !

I also suggest you try to audition the recent Rockport AVIOR II. A bit bulkier in term of footprint/visual impact in the room but it could be rewarding to compare a ported bass design with a closed enclosure like the Hailey 2.2.

Good luck in your search, and have great pleasure to do all these comparisons. But the absolutely most important factor is to TAKE YOUR TIME. It took me about 6 months to be sure of my choice.

Reactions: sujay
Last comment, I realize the VIVID AUDIO Giya design is not for everyone in term of shape..., however these speakers have almost everything one audiophile could dream of in term of performance and music reproduction.

BUT, they need a VERY precise placement in the room with NO electronic racks in-between the two speakers !

The G2's can be magical when properly driven.

Last comment, I realize the VIVID AUDIO Giya design is not for everyone in term of shape..., however these speakers have almost everything one audiophile could dream of in term of performance and music reproduction.

BUT, they need a VERY precise placement in the room with NO electronic racks in-between the two speakers !

The G2's can be magical when properly driven.

Actually I had the G3 mk1 before the Avantgarde. I enjoyed them very much including their look. Very balanced and musical speaker but could not control the bass with the side woofers and they were vibrating a bit too much ( so the choice of sealed speakers now ).
If one day I can enjoy a bigger room , Vivid G1s (and big horns) will be on the wish list !

Alex

YG has a lot of proprietary technologies that contributes a lot to the overall sound quality.

A speaker is the sum of all parts but , Yg’s dual coherent crossover ; is Exclusive to them and very special indeed.

Out of those 3 electronics, on the YGs, the Luxman is by far the best indeed. Matter of fact, I wouldn't use the other two at all. Just be aware that with a different preamp than Luxman's you can perhaps gain a little more body and warmth, and perhaps even some bass slam.
If you can afford the extra $$$, Sonja 2.2 will provide more bass, with just a slightly bigger footprint.
The REL option might be worth investigating as well, but I'd try to go for Sonja 2.2 instead of adding subs to a Hailey.

cheers,
Alex

Thanks for the tip Alex !
We tried with the Soulution preamp and I found that with this preamp the resolution and the dynamics improved. Out of curiosity I might just quickly try the Soulution amp but for this price and if I had to switch from Japan to Switzerland I might give a preference to CH Precision ( might be a bit too dry with YG speakers however) as I like their modular approach.

+1 WRT Rhapsody and using the same equipment and room to compare. You're hearing so much of the room so apples to apples is very important. Also, in a small room acoustic treatment is a must and sub(s) are almost a must to help even out peaks / troughs and less for added bass. Enjoy your search!!

moby,

The preamp search is fun and all, but it's not productive to judge them on their own. It's best to evaluate your options once you chose the amp (and the speakers, of course). With YGs, the good pairings will be rather obvious, and then you can chose the pairing that gives you the stuff you're looking for (more bass/impact, for instance).

cheers,
Alex

Reactions: KeithR
Thanks for the tip Alex !
We tried with the Soulution preamp and I found that with this preamp the resolution and the dynamics improved. Out of curiosity I might just quickly try the Soulution amp but for this price and if I had to switch from Japan to Switzerland I might give a preference to CH Precision ( might be a bit too dry with YG speakers however) as I like their modular approach.

I'm with you Moby regarding Swiss made electronic. I much prefer both NAGRA and CH Precision ultimately.
Should I win the lottery, I know what to buy next in term of front-end, LoL ;-)

FWIW, heard a similar setup in Munich (Constellation/Nordost/M2), was not impressed. I do think that the main culprit is the Nordost, especially the speaker wire, these will easily ruin most setup, IMO.
Right next door to it was a Soulution/MIT/M2 setup that sounded amazing. You would not think it was the same speakers.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing