YG Acoustics

Symbiose

Dec 19, 2020
How is the YG Sonja XV speaker with tube amplifiers? Thinking of something like the VAC Statement 452 iQ Amp monos paired with the YG XV.

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
How is the YG Sonja XV speaker with tube amplifiers? Thinking of something like the VAC Statement 452 iQ Amp monos paired with the YG XV.
They sound like what is in front of them. The only tube amp I have heard with XVs is the Audio Research 160M in my system. We disconnected the mighty Boulder 3060, hooked up the 160Ms and my friends who like tubes were delighted with the sound, all that warm, wet, natural, organic, musical tube tone -- hard to believe it was the same speaker.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
They sound like what is in front of them. The only tube amp I have heard with XVs is the Audio Research 160M in my system. We disconnected the mighty Boulder 3060, hooked up the 160Ms and my friends who like tubes were delighted with the sound, all that warm, wet, natural, organic, musical tube tone -- hard to believe it was the same speaker.
when you under drive speakers with tubes, that's what you get.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I think you can take the word "under" out of your statement
my statement is accurate. i've also tried 160ms on YG (and a Ref 75SE). warmth, euphony, etc. are a result of high distortion due to driving the amps too hard. i have other efficient speakers to direct compare, unlike you.

Reactions: Al M.

Symbiose

Dec 19, 2020
my statement is accurate. i've also tried 160ms on YG (and a Ref 75SE). warmth, euphony, etc. are a result of high distortion due to driving the amps too hard. i have other efficient speakers to direct compare, unlike you.
So, in your opinion the YG Sonja XV need a solid state amp instead of tube amps? I really was thinking that Sonja XV with VAC Statement 452 iQ Amp could be a nice match.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
So, in your opinion the YG Sonja XV need a solid state amp instead of tube amps? I really was thinking that Sonja XV with VAC Statement 452 iQ Amp could be a nice match.
I've never heard the combination, just was saying YGs prefer alot of power in my experience and ARC 160m isn't enough. I'd love to hear the big Vacs or new ARCs coming out on YG. I wouldn't be surprised if they were a wonderful match.

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
Happy New Year

I wonder what 2021 will bring for YG Acoustics?

Will we see the much anticipated "accessible'" and "entry" level speaker or speakers to the brand?

Will the Carmel 2 be updated with their latest technologies?

What will be results of their partnership with Cambridge Acoustic Sciences?

I'm sure YG dealer @asiufy will let us know when the time is appropriate :)

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego

I have heard the ARC 160Ms on JBL Everest several times, which are a high efficiency speaker. Also on Wilson XLF and Sasha DAW, YG Hailey, Sonja 2.2. Sonus Faber and others at shows. I attended the Alma demo by Peter McGrath from Wilson with the 160M/DAWs. The best sound I have heard from the ARC 160Ms was on my XVs, as they should.

Fabio from Alma set them up. There was no sense that the 160M was struggling and we listened for that. I also heard the big VTLs on Sonja 2.3s in YG's room at RMAF 2019. I would expect the big VACs to sound their best with the XV.

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
Sounds like I would love that sound :D

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
It would be cool if YG Made a carmel 3 that was a bit bigger and that had a dedicated mid-range. I guess thats kind of the vantage lol... but i mean even smaller than vantage.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
New Peak Series Unveiled
Just received details together with a promotional video available You Tube and I presume on their website
Two standmounts, three floorstanders and a sub woofer with prices ranging from $8k to $25k. 1" thick resin sides and CNC aluminium frame, Forge Core tweeter and up to 10.25" woofer with crossovers in the bass.
An attractive looking blend of their traditional design softened by the resin side panels.
If they sound as good as they look and it is in keeping with their earlier standards of sound quality should be an attractive buy.
Will be interested to read the reviews which I imagine will follow shortly

Last edited:

Scott W

Apr 20, 2010
Texas
www.suprahifi.com
Cairn(2-way stand mount) $8500, Stand $1500
Tor(2-way stand mount) $10,500, Stand $1500
Talus(2-way floor standing) $14,200
Ascent(3-way floor standing) $19,800
Summit(3 way floor standing) $25,000
Descent(active sub) $7800

matakana

Aug 26, 2020
UK
Cairn(2-way stand mount) $8500, Stand $1500
Tor(2-way stand mount) $10,500, Stand $1500
Talus(2-way floor standing) $14,200
Ascent(3-way floor standing) $19,800
Summit(3 way floor standing) $25,000
Descent(active sub) $7800

Attachments

• 14B4D073-4909-4B6D-A918-2ACCFB665F32.png
    14B4D073-4909-4B6D-A918-2ACCFB665F32.png
    978.6 KB · Views: 18

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
New Peak Series Unveiled
Just received details together with a promotional video available You Tube and I presume on their website
Two standmounts, three floorstanders and a sub woofer with prices ranging from $8k to $25k. 1" thick resin sides and CNC aluminium frame, Forge Core tweeter and up to 10.25" woofer with crossovers in the bass.
An attractive looking blend of their traditional design softened by the resin side panels.
If they sound as good as they look and it is in keeping with their earlier standards of sound quality should be an attractive buy.
Will be interested to read the reviews which I imagine will follow shortly
The drivers are the same.
The enclosures are not metalllic except the front baffles.
The Peak Series looks like very-good-buys!

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
Wow! I wasn't expecting 5 different speakers.

I wonder where this leaves the Carmel 2?

It's still in the lineup but, perhaps paves the way for a Carmel 3 with the new tweeter and other advancements.

Of course, at a higher price.

Are the Peaks series sealed cabinets?

What other YG technologies are implemented in the Peaks series?

Outside of the drivers, aka does it have Dual Coherent crossover tech? etc..

Look out Magico A series :)

Reactions: zitas and ctydwn

Dasmania

Feb 14, 2021
Another YG owner here…my Hailey powered with MSB M 204 and MSB Reference is a combination that leaves me not wanting. Having said that, I am completely blown away by the sound im getting with a full CH Precision chain. These fantastic speakers are a precise laboratory grade instrument that are a conduit for the electronics before them. Amazing engineering and realism in sound
doesnot matter if it’s boulder, dagostino, pass,dartzeel, vitus, spectral, MSB, SOULUTION, CH, etc. your choice and it’s gonna be magical

Last edited:

kastor77

Jun 11, 2022
Hi All! I have agreed on a demo YG Carmel 2 pair and I m really looking forward to it.
My current amp is Pass Labs INT-60. Does anyone have this combination? Any ideas or opinions for the possible matching please?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing